1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I Seem to Build Everything Everywhere

Discussion in 'Old World' started by steveg700, Jun 3, 2020.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

My cities seem specialized early on. My cities founded by a military family get military buildings, my sage cities get science buildings. But eventually, I wind up with strongholds and barracks everywhere, plus courthouses, garrisons, and eventually libraries & academies, and then move on to culture buildings, and so it goes.

They start to feel very cookie-cutter in those respects. Is that just me?

riddleofsteel and Elhoim like this.
  2. Sephi

Sephi Deity

sometimes I focus a city on resources so I do not have much space for urban buildings. For example if the city is the only city in my empire with forests or hills.

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

It's not just you, the city building ends up that way in regular maps where you have the space for everything, which is a bit of a shame. Playing on the "Old World" map cities are closer and the terrain limits the placement a lot more.

riddleofsteel and steveg700 like this.
  4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Right, the building's don't consume anything but material resources, so there doesn't seem to be much reason not to build everything as long as you can keep expanding your resource base, or just expanding your wealth base to keep buying the resources (and Tyranny lets you generate wealth just by maintaining a standing army).

There's some correlation to the ubiquity of terrain which allows resources to amassed everywhere you're allowed to have a city-site. There's not going to be shortages, so you're not going to have to assign some cities to be your farmbelt while and others are mining towns, and then funneling those combined resources into your more urban cities where you have libraries and courthouses.

Elhoim likes this.