I started Mehmed II game, and have questions in game.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by TheKidBoy, Dec 1, 2018.

1. TheKidBoy

TheKidBoy Chieftain

Hi,

I've started a new game at Warlord and Fractal map and everything else untouched. This is how my starting position looks: Here and here.

A1: Where would you place your city? I ended up placing it as recommended by the game.
    A2: What would you make the city; i.e. gold city, food city, science city, military city? I suck at this part the most. I don't know how to determine what my city will be, and in every city I end up building mines on hills, farms on resources that require it, and cottages on everything else. I rarely build workshops, lumber-mills, ...etc.
    A3: What improvements would you build?

So this is after few more turns.

B1: Where wuold you recommend I build my new cities?
    B2: Which cities should I make financial, military, science..etc?
    B3: How do you recommend I approach the game?

Thank you

2. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

Moderator needs to move this to the s&t section of the forum.

3. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

Hi,
    A1: placement turned out well here, usually plain hills are a good spot but not here.
    A2&B2: Will not worry about this right now .
    A3: Food and power tiles (cow, horses etc)
    B1: 1s Below that 3 so horses and sheep can be worked without border pop. 3 city near oasis or fp if no borderpop by Capac.
    B3: That was a lot of deserts. I would rush him with horsarchers (perhaps chariots are sufficient. He will be annoying anyway, also build wonders for you, Stonehenge good initially. Get a chariot to explore south.

Use the whip as often you can.

4. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Also, it looks like you built a warrior first. Build a worker first.

5. TheKidBoy

TheKidBoy Chieftain

A2&B2: Why not?'
    A3: Power tiles? What does that mean?
    What you mean by the whip?

6. TheKidBoy

TheKidBoy Chieftain

Eh, the game have gone quite bad for me :)

After 300 turns, Capac was so ahead of me, so I decided to conquer him. I started producing so many riflemen and trebuchets. But his cities were well guarded with different units and grenade men (they obliterated my riflemen :mad: , and I learned that they actually counter riflemen, the more you know) and I wasted around 150 turns trying to conquer him. I managed to get 5 cities from him.

I was about to continue conquering him, but then Ethiopia, which more advanced than I and from another continent, attacked my coastal city Ankara and conquered it. It is hopeless now to continue. Since my distant neighbors, the Chinese, are about to reach 5000 score, while I am still 2500. And my city Ankara is hard to take back since my forces are weaker than Ethiopia's forces.

I will post pictures soon.

Should I continue? Do I still have a chance?

7. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

You should have chariot rushed HC around turns 70-80. Then no problem winning. If you have starting save, start over and try it. Begin with worker as first build. Apply slavery. Food is hammers.

8. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

It’s a little early in the game to get overly concerned about which cities should specialize in what way.
    Tiles with large non-food yields; cows produce a little extra food an a few more hammers. Horses produce no more food but extra hammers and an extra commerce.
    Using the slavery mechanic to convert population to production.

Major Tom likes this.
  9. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

I'm going to assume you're an inexperienced player. You need to take it slow with understanding game mechanics and techniques. For example you ask what is whip? There are several players with YouTube videos of them playing this game. Sulla has a Dutch game which is very informative. I would suggest watching this video 2-4 times with your own play thru after each viewing. Watch Sulla's video focusing on him using the whip. Then play a game practicing using the whip technique. Do this with whipping, city specialization, tech paths regarding military advancement and so forth. Break down your own game play and video watching to an educational level. Play each game practicing each technique you learn and before long you will move up difficulty levels.