I still believe in Global Warming. Do You?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Murky, May 8, 2012.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

2. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

Global warming is a myth made up between an alliance of corrupt scientists and poltiicians in order to brainwash the American people into higher taxes and regulation.

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

The compelling evidence you provide for this mantra statement makes me reconsider my position.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

The myth of global warming is a myth made up between an alliance of corrupt businessmen and poltiicians in order to brainwash the American people into lower taxes and regulation.

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

Would these be the same politicians who sign pledges against raising taxes and filibuster every proposed regulation - even ones the public overwhelmingly supports?

EDIT:
    Tailless beat me to it, more succinctly at that :hatsoff:

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

7. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I was going to call bollocks on that one too. Never saw any shred of evidence of birds killed by large wind turbines, and I often walk by quite a lot of those.

8. Murky

Murky Deity

It used to be problem. It's mostly been solved by using larger/slower turning turbines instead of fast-turning. Before the blades moved fast enough to kill a bird in flight and they were small enough for the birds to miss seeing them first. Still, the pollution damage from fossil fuels to the environment and climate change will kill a lot more than just a few birds.

Now it's just one of a many false climate denier claims made up to rationalize continued dependance on fossil fuels.

9. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

It's a stupid argument when the better argument is staring you right in the face. They are unreliable, produce tiny amounts of energy, ruin the landscape and only work when the wind is blowing :lol:

10. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

I've heard they're quite reliable, and produce a large amount of energy. Power companies (or whoever owns the things) wouldn't be paying landowners so much were that not the case.

As for ruining the landscape, I'd have to say you're nuts. Wind turbines look awesome on their own, and hundreds of times better than a coal plant.

11. Cutlass

Which is still better than coal and nuclear.

12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

They are unreliably available, but you can store energy, or spread them around and reasonably expect the wind to be blowing on some of your turbines, or even manage energy consumption (that wouldn't be such a big hassle as it seems, I think, it's just that people are not used to it).

They produce very reasonable amounts of energy, afaik much more that solar panels taken the same usable area. So long as the EROI is positive I don't see a problem. Plus the materials are fully recyclable and maintenance is low if they are well built (that deserves attention - I've already seen one catch fire!). I don't know if anyone compared their output with that of dams (taking into account used area), coal burning (space occupied by mines?) and so on, but in any case it's not as if most of the world lacks otherwise useless hills or shores to stick wind turbines in.

And about ruining the landscape... I like seeing the big things there, for me it's as pleasant as the old windmills dotting the hills. It's a matter of opinion.

13. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

Clean coal is the future

14. Cutlass

There's no such thing as clean coal. It's the dirtiest fuel on the planet. And the costs of even pretending to clean it up is far higher than the cost of wind or solar.

15. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I'm a bit confused. If the claim is that man made greenhouse gas emissions have no role to play in global warming, why is clean coal the future. Shouldn't we simply abandon all filtration methods on coal emissions?

And wouldn't clean coal be an even bigger scam then wind power since it doesn't even produce any new energy, only make coal more expensive?

16. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Too bad it effectively doesn't exist, and probably never will.

17. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Well, coal soot remains a problem. It's a verifiable health hazard, and it changes the albedo where it falls. You'd want 'clean coal' regardless

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

What it must be like in your world.

Yes, but enough about the English. :mischief:

19. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Have you done any research or are you just talking out your arse here?

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

To be honest, I hope wind farms get 0% subsidies in this country. I don't want our hills and mountains covered with wind turbines which in this country make about as much sense as PV power, for which we have already wasted billions. Let's rather build a few more nuclear reactors.