I think difficulty is pretty much spot on

sherbz

Deity
The reason i think this is that I have just finished an immortal game playing as the Dutch. I lost, but it was ever so close. I started boxed in by a city state but with room to expand over seas, so i went hard tradition then expanded later. Unfortunately, though, i missed founding a religion, which is more than a little tricky on immortal. "No problem", i thought. But i was next to Venice who had incense and wine, so they picked monastries, and spammed it to me, which of course was little or no use. So no religious beenits for about the entire game. I tried to win anyway, went for space, but in the end was beaten by Alex who won diplo. I was trying to save up enough money to buy out his city states, which i managed the first time round, but i could afford more than 4 the second time, and he won, with me needing only 2 turns to finish my last spaceship part and launch.

Anyway, point is that at 1917 (which is when i lost), Washington was 3 capitals away from domination and was huge, the biggest ive ever seen America. He was aso miles ahead in culture and was influential with everyone except for Alex. It was a very close game and i almost won, but not quite, and that in itself is where i think huge kudos to he developers. They have managed to make a civ game interesting in the last 3rd. I would have won space, but was pipped att he last by another civ. So often in civ games the end game has been a virtual non entity. I think its pretty much there now. Thoughts? Or did i just have an exceptional game?

Did you try and sabotage alexander's diplomatic victory by panting all your spies in his city states and going for a result instead of / in addition to trying to buy them out?

Just curious.

Did you try and sabotage alexander's diplomatic victory by panting all your spies in his city states and going for a result instead of / in addition to trying to buy them out?

Just curious.

Yes, i had 4 of my spies in city states and my most levelled up one in my capital :(

I checked on the penultimate turn whether i could buy any out (i had about 6000 gold) and bought out all i could, but he still had 31 votes and needed 30 for a win.

Might be worth mentioning that many city states he had under his control were about 500-650+ in influence in favour of Alex. So to buy them out would cost a hell of a lot of gold. I bought out what i could, but it clearly wasnt enough. Fine margins i guess for that game.

totally agree the end game is a lot more fun now. I have actually finished every single game I've started in BNW. As for difficulty, it does seem a little easier than G&K. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next patch make things a little tougher. But I'm having fun.

yep, they clearly examined the issues with the game and designed an expansion which addressed them directly. I no longer feel like it's impossible to comeback if I'm behind early, and I no longer coast to an easy victory for the last half of most games. It's great.

The endgame suffers from been to short, i just blow through the techs and on avg finish my games around the t250 mark on standard/standard/immortal, just playing Sim city. There isn't an endgame because its over as it begins. The AI can never keep up... Its bombers/rocket artillery vs rifleman/cannon.

Full strength RA spam + saved up GS spam + rationalism. Even with all the nerfs to these over the last few years they're still the way to go every game no matter what victory. I don't think that's good for the game, the game is over to fast currently.

The endgame suffers from been to short, i just blow through the techs and on avg finish my games around the t250 mark on standard/standard/immortal, just playing Sim city. There isn't an endgame because its over as it begins. The AI can never keep up... Its bombers/rocket artillery vs rifleman/cannon.

Full strength RA spam + saved up GS spam + rationalism. Even with all the nerfs to these over the last few years they're still the way to go every game no matter what victory. I don't think that's good for the game, the game is over to fast currently.

If you are consistently running bombers against the AI's cannons on Immortal, it sounds like you are ready to be playing on Deity.

Have you tried epic speed? Or a mod to increase research times? Or both at once:goodjob:

in one game i increased all techs from late medieval and up from 20%-100% ( progression based on techs obviously ) But still managed a tech victory around t270ish but had a nice starting loc. Fact is just increasing tech cost doesn't appear to change much, though it seems to hurt the AI even more.

And i play deity, though very rarely ( because its boring ) my last game i played a standard continents game as Venice after about 10 immortal games. t269 diplo victory sim city style, no wars the entire game and i started next to 2 other civs and was friends with almost everyone the whole game. It was probably the most boring game i have ever played lol because for half the game you don't get wonders, I got PT. ( which is a must have for me ) I'm a builder at heart and deity only allows you to build wonders when you've got the tech lead. ( usually post industrial )

in one game i increased all techs from late medieval and up from 20%-100% ( progression based on techs obviously ) But still managed a tech victory around t270ish but had a nice starting loc. Fact is just increasing tech cost doesn't appear to change much, though it seems to hurt the AI even more.

And i play deity, though very rarely ( because its boring ) my last game i played a standard continents game as Venice after about 10 immortal games. t269 diplo victory sim city style, no wars the entire game and i started next to 2 other civs and was friends with almost everyone the whole game. It was probably the most boring game i have ever played lol because for half the game you don't get wonders, I got PT. ( which is a must have for me ) I'm a builder at heart and deity only allows you to build wonders when you've got the tech lead. ( usually post industrial )

Your story is very sad. It must be painful for you to no longer find satisfaction in something that used to give you so much joy.

Well i hope a patch or two can fix some of the issues i have with the current form of the game, besides I've played 1600 hours of Civ5 and i had a lot of fun it was well worth the money i spent and is up there with my favorite games and I've been playing games since the Amiga 500. :D

Top Bottom