I think I'm giving up the game...

To the OP: If you have logged 300 hours allready in this game - isn't it to expect you are getting bored? Play/do something else, and pick up Civ again after an expansion or something for a different/re-newed experience.

300 hours man, that's almost two weeks. I would be bored to hell with anything after that amount of time.. Except Football Manager, of course. But on that I only clock about 400 hours pr. year - and this game hasn't been out all that long, so maybe you have overplayed it a bit?

You know, if you spend to much time with a girl you get annoyed by all the little things she does, and when you are past that phase where everything is golden it's good to be apart a few days a week for instance.

I have 466 days played on my chars in WoW and lots of other have similar played, 300 hours is absolutely nothing for a good game.

I have 466 days played on my chars in WoW and lots of other have similar played, 300 hours is absolutely nothing for a good game.

Comparing a strategy game or any other genre for that matter to an MMO is really silly. MMO's are constantly being upgraded with add-ons and balance tweaks not to forget your playing with and/or against other humans. For most of them your also paying a monthly fee for this extra immersion and content. So any hour to hour comparison between civ5 and WOW is just plain silly.

Comparing a strategy game or any other genre for that matter to an MMO is really silly. MMO's are constantly being upgraded with add-ons and balance tweaks not to forget your playing with and/or against other humans. For most of them your also paying a monthly fee for this extra immersion and content. So any hour to hour comparison between civ5 and WOW is just plain silly.

Civ4 had constantly new mods and I have no doubt that many have in that range for playing Civ1-Civ5.

I don't mean this to be another CiV bashing thread. I've logged almost 300 hours already and the simple fact that I'm up at 1:30 AM is evidence that I've gotten pretty well hooked on this game...

But, I just can't seem to get into a session anymore. I've played through at Emperor and beaten it via diplomacy (big whoop), space and culture. My last game was...well, kind of perfect for me. I had a hilly peninsula with marble and tons of gold--perfect for a wonder-whore like me. I was drawn out by some early wars and ended up with some puppet-interests on the main continent too, but I was able to pump out wonders in my core cities relatively undisturbed.

It was a beaut.

Now, everything else feels somewhat less engrossing. I guess over the last several years, I've spiralled down into playing CIV in one particular way--a way that IV wouldn't really let me prosper with. V, though, let's you keep up with the AI on the upper difficulty levels with small empires.

I was trying tonight to go even further. I played and replayed this one peach of a start. Three marbles on an isolated island. I wanted to try to nab almost all of the early game wonders. (Truth be told, I was trying to make my son happy. I name my capital after my wife and then the subsequent cities after the kids. He wanted the pyramids in his city, but I couldn't get them built fast enough...sigh.) Just couldn't make it any better than the game I'd finished. The only challenge left was the impossible.

So, I just can't seem to find any reason to play. I feel like I'm in withdrawal. I want to...I really want to, but I've got to face reality. For several years I was chasing some holy grail in IV, a particular play experience that I could never quite get. V has a lot of flaws, but for a builder like me, some of the changes were really welcome.

I wonder if that might be the source of the complaints about this game. I think a lot of Civ players have become simple number crunchers. I hear a lot of people saying "all you have to do is this and that" to win. But when I hear these strategies--spamming citys and trading posts--my thought is "why would you want to do that, though?" For me, it was always the experiential aspect that drew me to the game and conquering my foes with mathematics never satisfied me. Maybe that's who the CiV team thought they were writing for, experientialists, and they didn't pay enough attention to balancing the mechanics for the hard core gamers who would go in, do the math, and come away with simple formulas to solve the game.

The only thing I really feel tempted to do with CiV now is to create my own mod, try to get away from numbers and create some real character differences between the different approaches to the game. That, though, would require time and expertise that I just don't have now...and probably never will.

Giving feedback and playing developing mods is just as important as making them, though, especially considering how little time mods have to play their own creations. And if you want each decision to be based more on situation rather than obvious exploits, that's the main goal of my mod :)

But I can't seem to understand your frustration. From your post, it sounds like you've lost the will to play... because you couldn't build some wonders?

Some of the tricks I use:

-Keep shorter play times and maybe even cut out a playing session or two.
-Try different play styles with different civs. Songhai for example can be strong at domination or culture win.
-Play around with different social policies. Try to figure out which ones suite each civ the best. (Im currently experimenting with two tiers of Tradition for an early boost to capital growth and the 33% wonder increase. I than go into finishing Peity followed by the left side of Patronage. It's a great early game combo that works well with most civs. I'll probably mess around with the Aztecs and an Honor/Autocracy combo of some sort next.
-Play random civ for a change-up.

Now if your a pure builder and disdain domination victories than of course your options are more limited. Have you tried the Iroquois yet? They are one of my favs for my building moods and a space ship completion. Make sure you take advantage of the bias start and get all that forest goodness. There are also mods you can try or try the scenarios which I'm told are good.

If none of these ideas jump out at ya than take a break and come back when the next patch comes out. Good luck.

The sad thing is that your points are right. cIV had huge epic unebelievable replayability. Now ciV is more of an arcade game that you get tired of quickly. It pains me how fast i burn out and i desperately want to not get bored, but its just so simple. You do this and this and this and heres your win on a platter. Winning was always different in cIV and there was no set ingredients for victory.

Absolutely no depth to this game in comparison to where it was. Either they completely suck of their plan was to make it so bad we HAVE to buy all the future updates

I completely agree with ^^^ the previous post.

I got bored of Civ V after about 50 hours. I continued to pay for a few more days, but have stopped 3 weeks ago, and I don't think I'm coming back. And I don't think I'm coming back to Firaxis, either. Winning is so easy and so damn automated, my brain just shuts down for lack of use. In fact, I used to read a book in between those long turns. Civilization V is no more than minesweeper, if that.

No wonder Valve tried to spice it up with the achievements. But since the game is broken, those achievements are worthless.

There are exploits in the current version that make winning too easy, if you're bored try to win without using them :)

Civ4 had constantly new mods and I have no doubt that many have in that range for playing Civ1-Civ5.

Your correct that mods can greatly increase the life span of a game but comparing a mod heavy strategy game in hours played to an mmo is still flawed. The number of people that rely on mods to keep a prolonged interest in a game is still small compared to wow addicts and similar types. MMO junkies (I've been one before) are the mainstream of that genre while I would argue the mainstream tbs gamer is more of a casual style of player and they may dabble in mods but most move on to other games or they come back to the tbs from time to time.

Took you 300 hours to realize you don't like a game? Sounds like your just burnt-out to me.

Stirrups were invented by nomads in the steppes of Central Asia - because they had to cover huge distance on horses - not by farmers tied to their hoes in the Nile valley. That's what I want to see - an interaction between the player and the environment that produces something unique. There's nothing linear about it. It's called coherency.

G.

The thing is, if you start in a fertile corwded area such as the nile, you have little need to research horseback riding initially, you would instead go for agriculture and pottery, yet if you were in an area distant from other civs with plenty of plains and horses, your going to research horseback riding to manage your inevitably spread out empire.

Winning is so easy and so damn automated, my brain just shuts down for lack of use.

If you reverse the quoted sentence, exchanging cause with effect, I think we have an explanation for the choice Firaxis made regarding what market to target.

If you reverse the quoted sentence, exchanging cause with effect, I think we have an explanation for the choice Firaxis made regarding what market to target.
I have to agree. And probably it's a large enough market, but they will lose the more committed "traditional" user base. In my humble opinion, of course.

Eh, that rule only applies to MMOs I've found. People really do get bored permanently of single player if it's bad enough.

But then why bother to post and tell the world you're quitting if you're so done with a game? Clearly, there is some sort of caring left.
1. Because this is a forum related to said game - who's better to listen?
2. Because there is a chance to vent frustration and disappointment.
3. Because maybe there'll be others who feel the same which soothes the pain.
4. Because there's a faint hope that if enough negative stuff will be posted then devs will do sth about it.
5. Because you can - on 2K forum thread would be locked/deleted.

Look it's not an MMO noob moaning - it's a fellow civfanatic who REALLY wanted to love this new civ game but for reasons listed he couldn't. Of course there's "caring left" - like Bruce Dickinson said in one of his song - there's thin line between love and hate ^^

1. Because this is a forum related to said game - who's better to listen?
2. Because there is a chance to vent frustration and disappointment.
3. Because maybe there'll be others who feel the same which soothes the pain.
4. Because there's a faint hope that if enough negative stuff will be posted then devs will do sth about it.
5. Because you can - on 2K forum thread would be locked/deleted.

Look it's not an MMO noob moaning - it's a fellow civfanatic who REALLY wanted to love this new civ game but for reasons listed he couldn't. Of course there's "caring left" - like Bruce Dickinson said in one of his song - there's thin line between love and hate ^^

I almost left this thread ... I post here not to dissuade those who are enjoying Civ V from doing so but to effect a change. This is the Civfanatics Forum, I would still be playing Civ II but III was better. Civ IV was different and eventually better. Civ V simply does not keep me interested, I would sooner be playing Civ II. I haven't played it in over two weeks. I guarentee you it was months before I even took a break from III or IV and this isn't a break. It's sad when the 1992 Civ II has more depth than 2010's Civ V.

The civ developers have always been very responsive to complaints. They patch, mod and expand. I fear that the structure of V will not allow much correction but anything they do will be a plus. At any rate I hope that 5 to 8 years from now Civ VI will be the emmersive, detailed, engrossing game IV's successor should have been.

If you like the game, fear not --- the disenchanted will find other games and post on the Civ V threads less and less. Not because we aren't fanatical, but because we're playing our copies of II, III and IV.

The structure is actually probably the most malleable, lemmy101 is already starting a massive religions mod with nothing but the xmls, sql and lua.

But I guarantee, if you want fun game it will not come from patches, only mods, as the devs want to keep it streamlined and simple.

The structure is actually probably the most malleable, lemmy101 is already starting a massive religions mod with nothing but the xmls, sql and lua.

Religions (in Civ4) were some kind of entity to stretch across the borders of nations/civs. Therefore, the AI had at least to have a vague idea of how to deal with such an entity (I am not going to say it did it perfectly).

In Civ5, up to now there is nothing in the AI to grab the concept of "values"/different ideas within different states.
Whatever your social policies are, they don't have an influence on the other side's reactions. There even isn't such a basic thing as trade routes which would lead to some kind of "cooperation" between two civs.

Therefore, any religion mod at the moment seems to be doomed to occasionally give you some benefits, but that's it.
Seems to be easier just to include some new buildings (maybe based on city size or cultural output). That at least would be an idea the AI could have a chance to grab.

Without the source code being revealed (and then to be fully understood and massively changed), I don't see anything like the inclusion of religions working in a meaningful way.

Top Bottom