I think I'm just tired of civ games in general

wiggawuu

Warlord
I just can't get into games like I used to. Honestly, it started with civ 4. Then civ 5 was so bad. But I picked it back up a year and a half later and had a some fun. I put in a lot of hours to both games. But honestly, civ 6 just isn't giving me that 1 more turn addiction. I don't even finish games. I just get bored after a while and the pace of the game is so slow. Its not a bad game, its kind of the same thing with a new twist. Perhaps I'll find more enjoyment once the game becomes more understood. I just think I've played these games to death and the experience isn't that rewarding anymore. I think a lot of younger kids are loving it and good for them. The young kids that didn't grow up on early civ games. Makes sense. Its a great game series.

I general, I guess I'm older now and just don't enjoy sitting in front of a computer hours upon hours anymore. I like going out and socializing and traveleing, etc etc.

Cheers.

I'm feeling sort of similar, but alot of the issues I have with the game are pretty well-defined. The fog of war, for example, is so horrendous to my eyes that it's stopping me from enjoying the game currently, which I would need to do in order to play more and see if it provides replay value.

I take long breaks. I can't imagine playing civ 365 days a year for five six years. Though I would probably a far better player if I did. the 5-6 year cycle between releases (expansions notwithstanding) is really really long. Only Blizzard and Nintendo gets away / can afford to wait that long between installments

But I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I've been playing these since Civ 1 and I find since Civ IV I binge on them for awhile and then take long breaks and binge again. I do find that I am getting that 'just one more turn' addiction from Civ VI, perhaps because it's all shiny and new. But yes, it's easy to get overloaded on these type of games and need a break.

Curious. I found the pace of the game TOO FAST. Before I actually delve into a game I find myself into the industrial or modern age. And with spearmen running around all over the place.

Consequence of a badly implemented idea of eurekas and possibility to beeline.

The same thing with a twist seems pretty accurate to me for Civ 6 - the majority mechanics are pretty similar to Civ 5 BMW, so that might be feeding into the fatigue. If they've shaken up the mechanics significantly in two years with expansions, it might give you that kick again.

My first play of Civ VI was honestly filled with the feeling of... Tedium. Kind of like how BNW got for me in Civ V. I remember in Vanilla Civ V I could finish a game in 6 hours. My first Civ VI game took me 3 days.

I still enjoy the game, though, so I've decided to just see the game as a much slower paced and relaxing game that will last a very long time. Not something to plan to finish in a day. And just take my time with each choice and not feel like I have to get through it. It's not so tedious in my 2nd game. This is Standard speed btw.

Curious. I found the pace of the game TOO FAST. Before I actually delve into a game I find myself into the industrial or modern age. And with spearmen running around all over the place.

Consequence of a badly implemented idea of eurekas and possibility to beeline.

i used to exclusively do quick games on 4, but now with 6 i am choosing epic speed. love that early game. tried marathon briefly a few days ago, didn't like it, it was either the bad start or maybe that option is just too damn slow

Civ 6 is giving me the "one more turn syndrome" in large part because of the city planning and adjacency bonuses. I really love the sim element to that much more than I expected to.

I did cheat however and edit the XML for buildings to reduce all costs by 25%. Makes the game play MUCH better IMO.

I have this syndrome when I am playing video games too much, after some time I return and I enjoy games greatly.

However I fully understand your loss of will to play video games and focus on other areas of life - personally I introduced self-imposed ban on any online "infinite" games as I was wasting too much time on them especially compared to the amount of enjoyment I had from them, now I play only either relatively short games with very valuable plot (indies, RPGs) or very very few "long" games but with very high gameplay value (such as civ).

CIV 6 is giving me very good experience, I enjoy it enormously. I think striving for a victory either by culture or religion is where it ends for me. Honestly, I have no time in between work and gaming actually. Knowing how to divide time or time management precisely is very important. If you find yourself being addictive to a game then you need to take a break. A few of my colleagues are quite indulging into mobile games and they nearly got fired. It's sort of sickness. So, OP should be happy about what you feel now and good to hear that you are going back to your outdoors social activities.

As for me, it's just a beginning for me, I mean CIV 6 career. My impressions towards CIV 6 is positive. In fact, the Civic, Government, City-States and City planning are thoughtful design, much more than CIV 5. The new builder concept is also very good. I am an easy going person. I won't get upset by a computer games because it doesn't play to my expectations.

Try, at some stage, playing online with other folks, you should get a different experience and I am sure it will be a enjoyable one. Enjoy life with your friends, travelling and maybe computer games if you feel coming back again.

I'm the same way. Since I started to play CIV 3 (good game), CIV 4 (AMAZING game), and CIV 5 (good game made amazing by expansions), I felt like CIV was the smartest historical game around, but then I started to play Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 in the past two years, and now CIV seems like a child's game. The strategy aspects of it are decent enough, but the AI (and art style) is too unrealistic and keeping me from feeling wholly immersed. But alas, I will give it another week or so, until I wait out a balancing patch and hopefully some interesting DLC.

I dunno, obviously you could be burnt out on Civ games in general but I think more likely there just aren't enough push/pull mechanics to keep Civ6 interesting yet. I was never a 'CIv4 > all Civs' person but honestly I went back and played a game of Civ4 and had an absolute blast. I have almost 1000 hours of Civ5 but BNW really killed the game for me (the AI was just entirely too passive leading to dull/repetitive games). And unfortunately, Civ6 seems like its closer to Civ5 in terms of AI competence and aggression.

My biggest issue other than the AI (although that is related) is that there is really no throttle on what I'm doing. I can just build cities when I want to build cities and do what I want without any mechanics or other Civs to worry about (almost everything is a soft cap which just drags things). And there isn't much to give that 'one more turn' feeling since everything is so blunted...ie, techs generally don't feel like leaps or achievements, building extra cities, ditto...it's just rote and very easy to do at will (and with very marginal returns for a very long time). Diplomacy is odd (I won't call it 'broken' like a lot of people have been slinging around), but again it's not very meaningful because quite frankly, I don't really care what the AIs are doing.

Part of the issue (but only part) is the lack of information about many mechanics...ie, I can't make informed (and thus meaningful) decisions unless I have an idea of how those mechanics I'm deciding on work. So I just pick things and go and since there is no resistance or push, it still works. So it feels like it really didn't matter what decision I made. This pertains to buildings, tech selection, civics, city planning etc. Sure I can optimize this or that given time and experience, but even on the levels I was playing Civ4 and Civ5 at, in my first game of Civ6 I'm miles ahead of the AIs and I see nothing to throttle me back or cause me to change the (probably objectively poor) decisions I made to get there.

And on the techs, they just seem to be so incremental and underwhelming in most cases. Many simply unlock a Wonder that I can't/won't build or a unit that I probably don't need or one other simple thing. There are very few that are like...omg, must decide between very desirable benefits! Civ4's tech tree was FILLED with 'must have now' choices and it feels like you made real progress when you researched many of them (not all). But you kept playing turn after turn because many of the techs were fundamental changes/upgrades with more right behind them.

I sort of got the same feeling with Civ6 that I got playing the new MOO (although I think that game is in much better shape than Civ6 is, probably due to the loooong Early Access phases where a lot changed). I play the game, it's sort of fun, but I feel like I'm just sort of going through the motions. But if I go back and play MOO2 (albeit slightly modified for balance), I'm almost immediately hooked again. Again, that feeling of "must get 'x' or 'y'" is not as prevalent in the new MOO but I feel it almost at once when playing MOO2.

At any rate, I like the core ideas of Civ6. I think they have a lot to build on. But it doesn't feel complete or internally consistent at all. There are too many rough edges and vague areas where things aren't clear how they should work. And the AI (as has been mentioned multiple times) is just not there yet. Possibly there are some simple bugs holding it back and I hope that is the case. Otherwise, I think it'll be a patch or two (and maybe some DLC) before I think Civ6 has a realistic chance to ignite the 'one more turn' feeling that I got from everything up until Civ5 BNW.

I general, I guess I'm older now and just don't enjoy sitting in front of a computer hours upon hours anymore. I like going out and socializing and traveleing, etc etc.

It sounds to me like if you are burned out. You should probably take a break and do all these activities you enjoy more.

I've been playing the Civilization series for 20 years, and still deeply attracted to the new games of the series.

Obviously there are instances that were less attractive, mainly Civ V, but I think it's a strong series.
But with Civ VI, I have now practically most of what I ever wanted in a civ game (still could use some improvements tho).

In any case, games are meant to entertain. If they don't have that effect on you, then switch to another activity that does :goodjob:

I just can't get into games like I used to. Honestly, it started with civ 4. Then civ 5 was so bad. But I picked it back up a year and a half later and had a some fun. I put in a lot of hours to both games. But honestly, civ 6 just isn't giving me that 1 more turn addiction. I don't even finish games. I just get bored after a while and the pace of the game is so slow. Its not a bad game, its kind of the same thing with a new twist. Perhaps I'll find more enjoyment once the game becomes more understood. I just think I've played these games to death and the experience isn't that rewarding anymore. I think a lot of younger kids are loving it and good for them. The young kids that didn't grow up on early civ games. Makes sense. Its a great game series.

Cheers.

I can relate. I got totally burned out with civ5. Like you, I totally lost all interest in the game. So, I stopped playing civ5 completely and focused on xcom2 instead. Now, with civ6, my interest in civ has been rekindled. I think it really helped that I forgot about civ for awhile.

Top Bottom