1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I think it's time to call religion a failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LesCanadiens, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Cecasander

Cecasander King

It's time to call the human race as a species a failure. I hope the bible was wrong and either god does not exist or he didn't create man like his own.

2. redtom

redtom Proudhonist

The point is that if we try the same experiment over and over again, and get one erroneous result then this erroneous result that may or may not be anymore wrong than the others, we ignore it. Thats what I thinks wrong with science its quite happy along as the results we get are similar as soon as one stands out we refute it. What I fear the basic theories of nature could be fundamentally wrong if scientists who came up with them chose to ignore one result in a thousand, million etc. etc. because it didn't fit into their premise. I believe science fundamentally is subjective just like everything else man knows and perceives. The philosopher Protagoras came up with the saying "man is the measurer of all things" or "of all things the measure is man"and I'll stand by that.

Protagoras had another quote that is relevant to the discussion we are having:
    "Concerning the gods, I cannot know either that they exist or that they do not exist; for there is much to prevent one’s knowing: the obscurity of the subject and the shortness of man’s life."

3. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Oh, common, Troq, we all know religion survives today because its impossible to prove a negative, kinda like Bush's reason for going to war with Iraq, because Saddam can't prove a negative.

And like I said water boiling at 97.8 degrees is nothing out of the Norm. If you found that it boiled at 50% at see level, then it would be something, but anywhere from 95c-105c is reasonable on any given day. And one result in a million is much more likely to be a testing error than anything else. With science you get a high level of constitancy on proven things. If you throw a million objects in the air, a million will come down. However, with religion, there is no consistancy.

4. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

i don't remember seeing it written anywhere that it's supposed to be consistant.

5. vonork

vonork Emperor

redtom: stragne sience you have meet, true sience get's interrested over things that stand out and looks into it, they don't ignore it.

6. Archbob

For something to actually to logically plausible, results must at least be somewhat consistant. For this reason religion is not found upon a logical basis.

Its fine if you believe in religion, but its folly to argue that its founded on a logical basis.

7. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

call me crazy, but i was under the impression that is the point of religion.

8. Cecasander

Cecasander King

You asked for it; sween32, You Are Crazy! :D

9. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

Yes, but just as crazy as you. :p

10. De Lorimier

De Lorimier North American Scum

We're all crazy! At least those of you who are still posting in this thread are ;) :D

11. Archbob

Oh, don't get me started on Doughnuts...

12. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Why does it seem that every religious-related thread ends up degrading into spam? :p

13. Archbob

Its because people refuse to acknowledge that trying to convert other people is a failure.

14. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

No they don't. I never tried to convert anyone. As long as the word is available, there's hope it will be heard... but you cannot force someone to listen, and you most certainly cannot force someone to believe!

15. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

16. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

and what are you doing? trying to convert people away. if you dislike something then don't do it yourself.

17. Archbob

I'll stop if you can get Christians to stop coming to my house or stopping me on the street and "share the glory of god" with me.

If you Christians will stop trying to convert other people, then I'll stop too.

18. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

oh just deal with it. i'm catholic and i get protastants trying to convert me all the time. i don't like it either. and it's not like thy're burning you at the stake.

19. Archbob

Hey, if they try to convert me, I'll try to convert them.