1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I think there is something wrong with diplomacy

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by code99, Oct 22, 2016.

1. code99

code99 Chieftain

Is it just me or does the AI love to declare war for no apparent reason?

Played 4 games now, large map, epic speed, random civs and the AI declared war on me every single time for no reason.

Had one game where Germany made a declaration of friendship with me and after a while he declare war on me (surprise wars, ai seems to enjoy this). I fought, he asked for peace after a bit. A bit later, again, war! This time he came at me with an army 5 times as big as mine and he had only 3 cities. This wasnt long after we made peace btw.

Latest game, 4 ais declare war on me early in the game, at the same time. Was, france, germany, russia and some other dude.
    WHY? we all had just one city, it was that early in the game and they came with armies that defy logic.

I just dont understand this game. Diplomacy here is impossible and they seem to get huge armies out of nowhere.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, prince difficulty. I think imma drop a level, see if things change.

grandad1982 likes this.
  2. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

They seemed to have tuned the AI to play a lot more realpolitik and focus on human player as number one threat. Which makes sense challenge wise but kills any sort of roleplaying immersion as I got repeatedly DoWed from nations on separate continents and across many borders.

3. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

Maybe they're going for a domination victory? Also, I presume backstabbing is still in the game. Not every AI is going to be honest with you.

4. code99

code99 Chieftain

What, all of them going for domination? All the AI does no matter who it is seems to backstab the player. Why arent they fighting each other a bit more?

Im not asking for every single ai to be honest/friendly ... they all seem to be made to kill the player.

Also, imo, it isnt normal when an ai declares friendship and gives me compliments and all that and then out of the blue, WAR!

Ok, it happens once but not every single time.

5. borad

borad Chieftain

If I had five times the army of my neighbour, and had fought them previously, I'd probably invade them too.

6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle King of the Whale Sharks

Trajan seems to love to turn 1 declare on me for whaterver reason, even if he's on another continent across the map :lol:

7. skyclad

skyclad Chieftain

Since you play on epic speed maybe it was still relatively early in the game? The AI is supposed to declare war kind of willy nilly in the early eras.

8. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

That's how things work. Back in the days there used to be constant wars. There was no real diplomacy.

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I was declared several times in my first game, including by Gandhi who is the "peacekepper". Many of them were Joint Wars (which is nice).

But this... was on Settler.

10. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Yes, curiously enough, I have had far more wars (be it an AI versus me or an AI versus an AI) on Warlord than on difficulties higher than Prince. However, I found this: http://i.imgur.com/eEQwIJB.png

11. grandad1982

grandad1982 Chieftain

Yeah this happened to me too. Wars declared for no apparent reason against me but not the ai. No troops sent by some civs (to far away?) and the ones that did eventually show up after hundreds of years got slaughtered by my archers. Took many many turns to get peace. But she a practically predictable DoW rush by ai in the early game is that fun or good for the ai.

12. Apoll

Apoll Chieftain

I agree.
    Also it looks like Epic & Marathon speed affects only the player not the AI.

I decided to play a continent game with Rome and placed it well dead centre.
    Hadn't moved 4 tiles from the city and had met 4 civs and 2 states. Thats on HUGE map, in Epic.

Turn 12 Russia declared war on me for no reason, followed by other two. Before my second Warrior was out (Epic), I had 4 warriors of each Enemy CIV AI knocking Rome down.

Look at their Score also. Their growth is triple of mine like they play on Standard not Epic, while most of them produced warriors.

13. Falk

Falk Chieftain

Same here, the AI loves to declare surprise wars. What I find annoying is when the AI spams you with a gazillion units. Last game I had Teddy DoW me in the medieval era and attacking me with half a screen full of horsemen. That is exactly 0 fun.

I kinda like early surprise wars, because it makes you not neglect your military. Get some units trained, build a walls or two, that's fine. But those spam wars are incredibly frustrating. I hope they patch that somehow.

14. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

Did you want to live peacefully 3000 years BC? No way...

15. Falk

Falk Chieftain

You should have read my whole post before answering...

16. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Have no such problems on king standard. The balance of power seemed to be just right. Had Cleo to the north, Saladdin to the southwest. Cleo never liked me because of course she always had just a few units more (pretty bad agenda for higher than prince difficulties), but never DoWed.

Saladdin took my allied city state between us early on and I immediately DoWed him and took it back. Kinda sucks there's no liberation war early on, had to take warmonger penalty, but it git cleared when liberated the city. Got one settler of off him while at it. Saw no point going into his lands, seemed adequately protected and had walls (love how walls may stop your opportunistic wars in it's tracks) so I had no chance taking it with my 2 warrior 3 archers setup (impossible to siege too). So peace.

Later Cleo took my another allied city state between us. Being cocky I DoWed her right away. My by then 2 warrior 4 archer 1 spearman army was destroyed before it could leave my borders by her UU rush that immediately flooded my lands. She couldn't do anything else though as I chop-rushed walls in the both border cities. So either due to her being smart, stupid or random factor, she sued for peace. I would have none of it before I liberated my CS. But what to do? I have no army and she won't give it up. I levy my other city-states army and throw it all at the conquered CS liberating it and THEN suing for peace :D

Now I see Saladdins mamluk hordes and I'm kinda worried. But he likes me so far as the soab converted me.

17. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

Sounds like the same diplomacy from Civ 5. :sad:
    Another odd thing is Victoria keeps telling me I'm going bankrupt when I have tons of money coming in and a big balance.

18. pietro1990

pietro1990 Chieftain

its because its the ancient and classical era there is verry low warmonger penalty at this era. Wich means the AI goes beserk at this stage. And in later era's it actually acts normal.
    However there is a little problem with this after the classical era the game because passive every single AI will just sit there minding their own business not atacking you

the problem i have with those Ai wars is that you can't ask the AI to move their troops or ask them are you going to declare war like they do with you.

19. MkLh

MkLh Chieftain

Everything is wrong with it. It's simply a senseless mess.

20. code99

code99 Chieftain

Well, warmonger or not I personally dont find it fun to have to fight everyone.

Whats more annoying is that they can maintain a HUGE army with only a couple cities. Much more than I can. Also, how the hell do they even train all of them so fast? Their cities are often larger than mine (so they had to build stuff for housing) and yet they had the time to make some enormous army which they use against players.

And this is on Settler, not diety or similar.

I think that diplomacy overall is broken. Making deals and the like is impossible with 90% of the AI because they hate my guts because i have different government than they have. In my current game 8 out of 9 AIs denounced me because of this. Dont tell me thats normal.
    Thats one example of many ...