1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

I thought that for a change...

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by sjongejonge, Dec 17, 2017.

1. sjongejonge

sjongejonge Chieftain

... Civ would not become not responding on emperor level for a change. But even after the big battles, destroying 3 civilisations and vast reduction of enemy troops the game got stuck!

Attached Files:

2. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Crashes happen. Looks like you're playing CivWIN (and looks like a fun game you have going there!) Playing on different versions of Windows over the years, you see that there are differences in how Win handles the old code. Odd, but true: a current setup is more convoluted than other methods, but yet the game crashes less. Playing in a virtual machine using an XP "compatibilty mode" which is a dumb+simple XP designed only for running legacy applications which were left in the dustbin by Vista-7-8-10. Over 2 years, game has only crashed a few times.

Try the XP VM. I remember when i upped from CivWIN on W98 to W2000, and was overjoyed at fewer game crashes. The XP VM is even better, now i feel as if i am playing in the Golden Age of CivWIN. Get at least 10 hours of civving a week, and it just never crashes, close to never, a couple times a year.

Stop other programs from running, when playing CivWIN. Less CPU cycles available can make the game behave poorly.

Looks like you are playing with larger resolution, 1920x1050. I love this ability in CivWIN too, but it makes the game behave poorly. Larger screen space makes it easier to play across the world, act in two battle zones at once, and complete long trade routes without the tedious scrolling. But, it makes the game behave poorly. If i am playing a game i care about, i will leave the map window at the original size, never touch the scroll bars at bottom or right, and navigate through the landscape the old way, long jumps by clicking the small World Map window, smaller jumps by clicking near edges and corners of the gameboard window. Yes, it is more work with cities on far-flung lands, but makes the game behave much more stable-ish.

Maybe you can help me with something? How did you take that beautiful screenshot? Yours is perfect and sharp, but all my screenshots come out a little muddy with a slight blur to them. My current game, i will want to make a full-planet screen shot, now i want it to be high quality like yours!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. sjongejonge

sjongejonge Chieftain

Sorry for the late response Posidonius. Holidays and all.

I play in XP VM on Windows 7. I tried it on Windows 10 but it doesn't support Virtual XP so I reverted to Windows 7 with virtual XP.
    Those scroll bars only appear after the game crashes and normally I move around by clicking on the map. The resolution is not changeable.
    I have got only 3 items in my system tray. Sound?, Antivirus and I believe OneNote (can't check atm as I am not at home).
    Despite all this the game keeps crashing although not my last game as Emperor! I was Babylonian and conquered Europe, Asia and Afrika in an early stage and nuked the hell out of the Aztek (they started it!).

To get back to your question.
    For this screenshot I believe I used the Windows 7 built in Snipping Tool. Then saved as .png.
    Another option is to just pres Print Scrn (or alt + Print Scrn for just the selected window) and paste it in Paint and then save it as .png.

4. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Happy Holidays to you!

Not your screen resolution, what i meant is the pixel-width of the game window. When my CivWIN starts, the gameboard window is about 1/6th the size of what your screenshot shows. Whenever i change that window's size, the game gets "funny" for lack of a better technical term. I can play in 1920x1050, but have learned my lesson, that resizing the gameboard makes Civ1 less stable.

Thank you for the tips! Do not know about Snipping Tool, now i must learn about that. Rarely use Paint, have better image programs so i normally PrintScrn and paste into those and save as JPEG. I will try it using Paint and saving as PNG, thanks.