1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I used to love Civ... now I don't

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Hateful player, Mar 31, 2006.

1. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

I personally don't buy this story at all and believe the one who started this thread is likely just a hater, if not, then something must be wrong with his computer or his/her brain. 50 barbarians within 10 turns at settler level and this happens to a Civ veteran? This is even more unlikely considering he played Azetec so there is a scout that most people will use it to constantly swap around.

It is basically equivalent to seeing an essay question on theory of relativity in a kindergarten quiz.

2. xonixs

xonixs Warlord

did you really broke your DVD???

3. neriana

neriana Warlord

On huge maps on slower settings, the barbarian spawn rate really does get ridiculous. You NEED to get archers as soon as you can, or you're basically screwed. The patch really needs to include a way to tone the barbarians down. I do find it odd that on settler difficulty there would be so many of them, though.

If you didn't really snap the disc in two, try an island map, or a smaller map.

4. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

You need to have sentries to spot them coming. Also, defend your troops on defensive terrain, like hilled forest, and watch what your chances are when attacking. (click on your unit, and hold the right mouse button down over the enemy unit, and you'll see a help popup).

5. tombeef

tombeef King

I've played tons of games on different difficulties, and I've never seen 50 barbarians in 10 turns on any level, much less settler. I'd be surprised if in an average game I encounter more then 12-15 barbarians on settler. 50 would surprise me greatly on prince in ten turns.

6. rmac

rmac Chieftain

I dont play this game anymore because it crashes too often in late stages. This needs to be fixed.

7. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

Try playing a huge map with 2 civs in it (your one of them) ;)

...an interesting experience. (At this point the difficulty really doesn't matter).

8. KingCruz

KingCruz The People are the Heros

Doesn't seem like you've played civ before since you have 2 posts

9. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

There's several reasons why he got what he did, and what you can do about it, should it happen. In my case, though I've always played noble level, I have had this happen, but it's VERY infrequent, in fact I can't remember the last time. I must had adapted very well.

There's a number of issues we've talked about before, and personally I don't believe in the sentry approach. there was one instance today, where I'm starting an 18 civ huge game that since my civ was in the middle of everything, I actually did the unthinkable and put an archer in the general area of the next city in the hopes of that keeping a barb city from building there. Before I would just send a unit to the city spot and have it sit, but I've seen too often where the barbs will build a city which will then render that perfect spot unuseable, and then I have to think of building military to take out the barb city, and then build my perfect spot.

As i said, there are a number of factors that can weigh against him breezing through the barb period. The main ones in my mind are the location of your main city (is it in the middle of nowhere or coastal?), the number of cities (less cities allow more room for the barbs to grow, and the number of civs.

The amount of your military units, or whether you're sentrying are only very secondary issues. You have to make sure and have at least 1-2 units extra to attack any barbs, but most of the time not a whole lot more. Of course the higher quality of those units the less need for numbers.

If the original poster is playing like only 6-8 civs, with a huge map, with the starting city in the middle of nowhere and not on a coast (being on a coast reduces the amount of area the barbs can come from) and has 1-2 units per city, he's dog meat. You have to change those basic conditions for the better to accomplish making the barbs a minor pest. I'm currently playing on a huge map with 18 civs. I'm not sure I like playing that way, but you can guarantee the barb problem is very minor by that virtue alone. Your main problem will be to try to keep other civs from banking on the border of your main city.

If he think s his current game is bad, try playing on a huge map with only himself and one other civ. It would be fascinating to see if the standard barb setup could eliminate both civs or not. Sure would make for some awfully slow teching anyway.