I used to win in BNW at up to Immortal level, what difficulty should I play at in Vox Populi?

Leathaface

Emperor
I played Civ V with the BNW expansion (without Vox Populi) up to before Civ VI released but I haven't played Civ V since that got released, so that is around 2.5 years. I heard it is wise to move down 2 difficulty levels, at least according to the streamer Marbozir.

Plus with the AI being better maybe I should move down 1 more level still? That would put me at Prince level, I still want an aggressive AI though that is good at claiming victory when it's close.

I got my ass handed over on chieftain as japan on the 29th jan version and I played civ 5 on emperor. Do a first game at warlord to get comfortable with the mechanics and then play whatever you difficulty you want.

VP is very different from vanila. Emperor or warlord is the right difficulty to learn the new mechanic. Once you are used to it, it shouldnt feel harder than vanila, but much more interesting :goodjob:

If you played civ4 a lot, Vox Populi is almost like that.

It has a lot of very... similar civ 4 systems.

It has a lot of very... similar civ 4 systems.

Your not the first to say that. And having played Civ 4 for ridiculous numbers of hours....I don't see it.

The most recent version of happiness might have taken a step towards Civ 4...but a small step at best. The two are radically different. GP, Combat, Religion, Corps, Buildings....all of them are still Civ 5 systems, none of them have been changed to look like Civ 4. In fact I would argue that in one key way VP is even further away from Civ 4. Civ 4 has a lot of percentage based buildings, like 25%, 50%, etc. VP nerfed the scaling on core Civ 5, it relies more on static bonus (and instant boosts) than on large percentage scaling.

Until I start seeing 1UPT go to stacks, policies I can switch as I see fit, sliders, science being the end all be all yield, culture borders that actually change and compete with each other, GP that you settle in the city as a permanent bonus, and buildings giving me 50% to my yields....I just don't see the comparison. And bare in mind, I am a huge fan of Civ 4. I still think certain systems in Civ 4 are flat out better than Civ 5. But VP...is not Civ 4...not even close.

Top Bottom