1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I wanna be a vassal too!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by azzaman333, Feb 2, 2008.

?

Ever wanted to be vassalised by an AI

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I prefer vassalising to the Radioactive Monkey

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished the AI would be able to vassalise you, through Capitulation or peaceful means? On the occasions where I've tried to invest a lot of time and effort into earning some sort of peaceful victory and an angry AI decides I shouldn't win, and succeeds in stopping me, I'd much rather be able to Capitulate to the AI and see who eventually wins in my crippled, vassalised state than just retiring.

Anyone else wanted the AI to be able to vassalise humans, without wishing they could exploit the situation, or am I simply crazy?

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

In spite of prefering vassalizing to the Radioactive monkey :lol: , I certainly agree that we should be able to vassalize to a AI. The tricky part would be avoid exploits , given the morronic AI moves about vassals ( gives a lot of techs.... )

3. pxpdoo

pxpdoo Ninja Burger Fry Cook

"No. No, man. I believe you'd get your a$$ kicked saying something like that."

Never!

4. nimling

nimling Prince

god no. i turned off vassal states a while ago, and haven't looked back (barring a game to test colonies in bts, only to turn them off again with greater disgust).

5. Il Corvo Bianco

Il Corvo Bianco Warlord

Hell yeah! AI is so stupid handling vassals, that capitulate to a powerful/advanced one would mean receive insane amounts of techs. Then you prepare for war as soon as your master declare, try to take a bit of cities, then refuse the first request he makes. Vassallage removed as the tech black hole :D

6. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I specifically said without the intention to exploit it!

7. pxpdoo

pxpdoo Ninja Burger Fry Cook

Never, ever, Ever. I am the Alpha and the Omega. Aggressive AI can take a flying leap. Bye bye! lol

8. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Why would anyone want to watch the AI run away with the game? Unless theres only 20 turns left there would need to be some exploits.

9. Shirastro

Shirastro The ruler of the Gnomes

If AI ran civ ever gets so powerful, and me so miserable, for me to want to be its vassal, than i think quit and retry is much better option IMO

10. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

Some do. Oddly enough, they're the ones on "bottom" during BDSM.:lol:

Being serious now, I'd prefer being the owner rather than the vassal.

11. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

It would make sense to vassalise though in some situations.
    you can still win by space or culture or diplomacy whilst being a vassal and if you are going for one of these victory conditions being able to vassalise peacefully is a good way to defend yourself

12. Buraque

Buraque Chieftain

YES! Just for the fun of it :D

13. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

Yeah, if I'm going for a cultural or space race victory, it would be very nice indeed to be able to capitulate before then, to avoid getting my cities destroyed.

14. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

I don't think one should win a diplomatic victory as a vassal. Diplomacy is an extension of power in reality.

15. Il Corvo Bianco

Il Corvo Bianco Warlord

No real civ would vassallize without exploiting the situation. It could be informations, military help or so on, but if you ask for help to someone more powerful, well, you are going to exploit it.

16. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Your second choice shouldn't be just "No" !!

It should be:

"No! Death for me and all my people before sniveling, groveling dishonor!"

Just a thought.

17. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

Just a thought....I could see a way to allow Human vassals of AIs. Just don't permit a Human to capitulate/become someone's vassal if the AI would not agree to become a vassal in those circumstances. So: humans can't become vassals if an AI in a similar situation wouldn't agree. Humans can't surrender if the AI wouldn't surrender in that situation.

Granted, the decision to become a voluntary vassal/capitaulted vassal is controlled for each leader....but it shouldn't be difficult to come up with a sort of 'average' value there.

Nothing will ever lock out the possibility of the Human player trying to game the system...but this would at least stop a Human with a massive empire trying to become someone's vassal.

18. paydro

paydro Warlord

jkp, it should be the very minimum value if so, to allow for maximum flexibility on the part of the human.

Personally I think this makes a lot of sense... it allows you to buy your safety easier, and then you can outpace your parent country and regain your freedom. Or just win by space race or something. There are enough downsides that it wouldn't become standard peacemonger strategy or anything.

Although actually I think this has a lot of potential, you could run pacifism and completely depend on your parent nation's power ranking...

19. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

I would be inclined to make it a more stringent requirement precisely to avoid Humans gaming the system too much. So I would not put it at the level of, say, Mansa Musa. At the same time, I wouldn't make it the Genghis Khan "never surrender" level. I'd leave it at whatever is in the middle. But that's the sort of thing that should be hammered out in play-testing.

20. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest from Overseas

Of course I want to be a vassal... To get protected from that Montezuma!:hide: