I want 'Quick Combat' in Game Options!!!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by cudfather, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cudfather

cudfather Prince

That's that, I always forget to tick it in the 'Set up a game' screen. It should be in the options.

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Signed under. This one being on the start game options makes 0 sense ... it is equivalent to forcing you to choose the graphical setting while generating the world.

3. Iberian

Iberian Prince

+1 vote.

4. duxup

duxup Prince

There are a lot of obvious options missing from Civ V, this is one of them.

5. cdcuase

cdcuase Warlord

In civ4 we had 2 options for that, "defense quick combat" and "offense quick combat". As well as "See enemy moves", "see friendly moves", "quick moves", "Automated workers leave improvements", "Automated workers leave forests", among other things. And these are just the gameplay options. For graphic settings whats missing in Civ5 are: "Single unit graphics", "Turn animations off", "Effects disabled",etc...

Most of gameplay options were carried over from civ3. It's astounding to me that civ5 has even less options available than the previous incarnations. It's as though they tried their best to not learn from previous civs.

May I also add that being unable to change graphics while in game is really really stupid. Even civ4 allowed changing resolutions, antialiasing and some other graphical changes while in game.

6. Iberian

Iberian Prince

Why did all the options get taken away? I know this isn't Civ IV but come on taking away features from the options screen, really?

7. duxup

duxup Prince

Honestly I think if they had more time to finish / polish the game many of those options would have been there.

Many of the popular Civ game options showed up in the first place via patches over time. I hope that is the case again.

8. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

My guess is it was a misguided attempt to streamline the interface and provide less 'complexity' to the user.

I'm a big fan of streamlining, but not when it removes useful options. Throw them under an advanced button if you're too afraid they will cause people to freak out and quit in frustration.

9. Xger

Xger Prince

To the automated workers leave improvements thing, there is an option inside the usersettings.ini file related to it. I haven't particularly tested it out yet though.

10. faizan

faizan Chieftain

lololoolo

11. Davor

Davor Prince

Stream line or dumb down? I am finding those words to go hand in hand as of lot lately. Not just for Civ V, but for life in general.

12. duxup

duxup Prince

I don't think it has anything to do with streamlining. The game can still be streamlined and nobody except those who care would bother with a plethora of options.

I think they were just short on time rather than actively chose not to allow some of the options from the past. Many of those came about in patches anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see them wander back in the game.

13. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

I didnt get it. It IS in the options, doesnt it ?

Anyways, you can just add <default>1</default> at gameoptioninfo.xml where you want to keep checked.

14. KnightOwl

KnightOwl Chieftain

Are you serious? your response to his very valid complaint is he should go modify an xml file? :crazyeye:

15. Dishonor

Dishonor Chieftain

Problem is that it is in wrong option. It is in option, when you starting new game. Once you start the game, you cannot change it!
    And it isn't related to the game at all. It is related more to graphics.

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

You really didn't got it :p

In previous versions of civ that had animated combat, this option was on the graphical settings . This means you could toggle this or out of the game as you felt more or less bored with the combat animations.

In here you have to tick the option before you start the game and you are forced to sticjk with your ( lack of ) choice during the rest of the said game. And if you decide sudently that want to see animations after ticking the option ( or the other way around ), sucks to be you ...

A little diferent , isn't it ? :D

17. afa2000

afa2000 Time to die

I didn't say it IS NOT VALID. I just told him how to solve that. A very simple solution, by the way.

Now I see, I was at work, so I could swear it was at right place, because I always play with quick combat and dont need to always change that. Now, at home, checking the game, I realized you were right. That's because I already did a couple changes at that xml file and didn't remember I had to change quick combat too.

Just to emphasize:

Go to civV\assets\gameplay\xml\gameinfo\
    Open CivVgameoptions.xml with notepad

Find the following lines:

<Row>
    <Type>GAMEOPTION_QUICK_COMBAT</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_QUICK_COMBAT</Description>
    <Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_QUICK_COMBAT_HELP</Help>
    </Row>

and make it that as

<Row>
    <Type>GAMEOPTION_QUICK_COMBAT</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_QUICK_COMBAT</Description>
    <Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_QUICK_COMBAT_HELP</Help>
    <Default>1</Default>
    </Row>

Do that with every option you want to be checked by default.

Sure, I thought it was at right place at Civ V too.

18. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

Yeah thats realy dumb... I was going trough the pre game options and i notice quick combat...
    "Hmn, must be so units kill each other more quickly"
    ... yeah, whoever made that option in pre game settings was a genious...

19. Janig

Janig Prince

i agree with the op and thanks very much afa2000, at least I was looking for that :D

20. Strategy Master

Strategy Master Chieftain

Is it possible it is not in the game options for multiplayer reasons? Still was fine in civ4 so not sure why it would be an issue for civ5.