I want to be able to liberate a city any time

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Sherlock, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Right now you can only liberate a city the turn you take it.

But sometimes you need to use that territory to finish whatever war you're in, but you don't want that city permanently.

Sometimes things change in the future. Sure, you can give cities away, but you don't get the diplomacy boost from that like you do with liberating a city.

Would be nice to have that option for more than one turn.

'Hey, there was a war, it's been finished for awhile now, I'm in possession of one of your cities, now that things have calmed down I'm returning it to you'.

BIG diplo boost.

Would be nice.

2. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Yeah, it would be nice. Though the civ to whom you return it should have a say in the matter, maybe they don't need it.

3. Sherlock

Nah, you can always dump a city on a Civ. I do it all the time. Hey, guess what Sweden, you now own Beijing

4. thejayq

thejayq Chieftain

Wouldn't it be great if AI started liberating cities for you, don't think they ever did that in Civ 5. Even if you don't want them back:p

5. Sherlock

Don't think I've ever seen it, but yeah, that would be great.

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Given that you can no longer raze later on (you only can raze whilst you conquered it), I doubt we'll see that option.

Also, I hope that if you liberate a nation in MP that was previously human, in hotseat anyway, IT RETURNS TO BEING A HUMAN player.

7. Sherlock

You can only raise the turn you take the city?

Well that's going backwards.

Gaming is about choices. They should be giving us more choices, not taking choices away.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

9. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Me too.:(

10. historix69

historix69 Emperor

I think liberation should be a big theme for 20th century, liberating all those colonized civs ... maybe they can implement the U.N. and force players to liberate all their conquered cities when population is not assimilated and is unhappy ... (like British India splitting from the Empire in 1947)

11. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Nah, just increasing the amount of choices for no reason whatsoever is a bad thing. A choice should only be there if it provides gameplay, otherwise it's just clutter.

With that said though, I agree that one should be able to liberate/raze at any time. If it's anything like Civ 5 there will be so many situations where the effects of razing/liberating immediately will be very annoying, but you also wouldn't want to keep the city forever.

12. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

Depends on how Civ VI handles conquest of cities. A more complex model would be to have a mood gauge in the city so you can know how compliant the city's denizens are with you as overlord. Make it affect production/money/bulbs/maintenance or something. That way you can liberate a city as long as there's a fair bit of dissatisfaction.

Or abstract it further and make it so that you can only liberate a city within a certain number of turns - after that it's assimilated into your empire fully.

The Liberate-Puppet-Annex choice in Civ V is limited, but I don't expect much change. If we're asking for more choice, I'd rather be able to conquer another civ's city and liberate it as an independent city-state/civ as an option - though that might be impossible at current design.

13. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Really like this, because I'd love to see new Civs being able to spawn, but I understand it's most likely impossible in Civilization as long as there aren't some major changes.

PS Nice signature.

14. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Never work. The whole zen of Civ5 was encouraging / forcing you to plough everything into a few cities fairly close to your capital. Civ4 style cultural arm wrestling was removed. Trade routes helped remote cities a bit but if you want a game where your colonies are in permanent threat of revolt, don't make it a builder like Civ is currently.

15. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

Why thank you. Quoted in a younger age. Now we see the completion of the saga, and a possible TV series in the future to boot.

The releasing of conquered territory is directly taken from Paradox Games - I think it will work in Civ as well, so long as the diplomacy becomes more nuanced than current Civ V.