I want to change one of my redlined items

YNCS

Ex-bubblehead
I captured a barbarian city that I don't want. I tried to offer it to all the other civs. Each time the city was redlined. I don't want the damn thing, but I'm not given the opportunity to offer it to anybody. Some of the AI civs have some techs I wouldn't mind trading the city for. I can't convince the game to let ME be in charge of trading.

The AI is picky about cities it will accept as trade... ie. it wont trade for badly placed cities.

BLiTZWiNG said:
The AI is picky about cities it will accept as trade... ie. it wont trade for badly placed cities.

Yeah, it wants the pleasure of plopping them down itself... :crazyeye: :rolleyes: ;)

I think you're misunderstanding what the redline means.

Redlined items are just an indication that the AI you're talking to isn't interested in having that item be part of a bargain, no matter what. Redlines are just there to save you the trouble of trying to put together a trade and then having it rejected over and over.

If I could bundle the redlined city with, say, a tech, then I could get rid of it and still, probably, get something decent back. But I don't even have that opportunity.

BTW, in my game, I just pulled out all units and ten turns later a barbarian wandered in and took back the city.

YNCS said:
If I could bundle the redlined city with, say, a tech, then I could get rid of it and still, probably, get something decent back.

No, you couldn't. The red on the city means that the AI would never, ever accept it, even if you paid it.

I don't like the redlined stuff. Even if they hate you, they'll gladly accept any of your technologies, but refuse to give anything of theirs.

I've been offered a mediocre tech for several good techs of mine before by the AI, so I choose "Care to negotiate?". As soon as I hit the option the item they offered 2 seconds ago is redlined!! This annoys me, as they AI is clearly willing to give it away if it got a good bargain. So, now even if you wanted to offer even MORE for the tech, they refuse point blank.

I really wish you could really persuade AIs into deals. Having many many redline items makes diplomacy so unfun. Sure some could abuse the AI that way, but I just play for fun, not to ruthlessly exploit the AI to biggest extent possible.

I'd just like more realistic deals.

As for giving away cities, the AI will happily plonk a city in the middle of a frozen wasteland of glaciers, it probably doesn't analyze it's quality? Maybe just size? or perhaps it all goes down to just attitude towards you.

Mewtarthio said:
No, you couldn't. The red on the city means that the AI would never, ever accept it, even if you paid it.

This is true, but makes me laugh..as if you leave even a few Ice squares unoccupied, sooner or later one of the Ais will settle there, so why they'd reject a free city, is really utterlly nonsensical..but thats how it works.

What if the AIs are running a deficit, and simply don't want to have to pay for another city, especially if it's not all that good? Would you always accept a city, if it was crappy and you had to pay a lot to maintain it?

Baloo said:
What if the AIs are running a deficit, and simply don't want to have to pay for another city, especially if it's not all that good? Would you always accept a city, if it was crappy and you had to pay a lot to maintain it?

Nope, but thats not saying the AI is smart. Because the same AI will put a city right on the outer border square of ice to a high culture city inevitably about to expand soon. The fact is the AI builds:

always accept a city, if it was crappy and you had to pay a lot to maintain it

This is what the AI builds (obviously pointing out the "no more city sprawling AI" is a joke) If they are so good to found yourself, why not take one at the cost of no settler? I am willing to bet this city in question is better than a city that can only pull off 4 tiles of land that is ice all around it and 2 water squares.

Top Bottom