I want to make mods

CoffeeShopFrank

Warlord
I want to make some mods, and not just any mods; I want to start by making minor mods. I want to start by making some graphic mods (buildings and wonders), and then I'll try to make corporations. Are there any guides on the forum? I never looked for one, so I don't know.

Thanks to anybody who provides the help I need! :D

Yes, there are guides on the forums. Try looking in the "Tutorials" subforum.

I never looked for one, so I don't know.
There is nothing like looking if you want to find something. -(I think Gandalf said this, but I can't recall)

I'm guessing that you wanna add new buildings to the game. Despite importing the art you'll also need to add new building info into the associated XML files. (Note that you need both a building and a building class entry for each.)

AFAIK adding corporations is rather tricky. Because the game engine is hard-coded to only allow for the default number of corporations (and religions). So you'd have to edit the SDK, which is the source-code for (some of) the game engine. That beast is written in C++ and once you've done your edit you'll have to compile the whole thing into a DLL file. Good luck with it!

I'm guessing that you wanna add new buildings to the game. Despite importing the art you'll also need to add new building info into the associated XML files. (Note that you need both a building and a building class entry for each.)

1) AFAIK adding corporations is rather tricky.
2) Because the game engine is hard-coded to only allow for the default number of corporations (and religions). So you'd have to edit the SDK, which is the source-code for (some of) the game engine. That beast is written in C++ and once you've done your edit you'll have to compile the whole thing into a DLL file. Good luck with it!

1) Yes it is. I wouldnt recommend starting with it, but have a look in my mod. I made 6 corporations (and 15 guilds). It does require modding with a lot of XML files. (and python to make all the corporations visible in the advisor screen)
2) Doesnt need to change any SDK, but there is a max number of slots left in the Gamefont files (I think 15 or so), but again, this just require a bit of Gamefont editing.

Can there be additional religions also added without editing the SDK? :eek:

Sure, the tricky things are the gamefonts and the screen.

Ontopic: We have a good leaderhead tutorial in the tutorials section, and since this is also art, and the most basic thing to know is how to handle the right programs, which doesn't make a difference for the modeled object, i would recommend reading that one ;).

If you're looking to make new models, then Ekmek's LH tutorial is highly recommended. I would also recommend reading Blender: Noob to Pro, a wikibook. You don't have to read it all, but read a few chapters and you should be able to make new models.

Thanks for the advice, guys! :D

Yes, I want to make graphics for buildings. I want to start making graphics, and then I might move onto other things. I have a few buildings in mind, but none of them are major. Just some minor things that I would love to see in the game.

I need all of the guides about making building graphics that I can get. If you guys help me find the guides I'm looking for, I'll give you credit for helping me find them. :)

I'm sure the people in the know are gonna help you find what you need, but in the meanwhile; you're out looking for tutorials yourself, right? Because there is a sub-forum for those, and there is also a search engine...

I'm sure the people in the know are gonna help you find what you need, but in the meanwhile; you're out looking for tutorials yourself, right? Because there is a sub-forum for those, and there is also a search engine...

I've been looking through the sub-forums, but I haven't had a lot of time to look through them thoroughly. For the past few days, I've been out on the road driving. I just got a permit, and I'm trying to get all of the practice I can get. It might be a while before you guys see anything mod-related from me.

Top Bottom