I went on a break ...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kiwitt, Jan 1, 2010.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

... from Civ 4

I played the new Sims 3, added some mods, cheated a bit, made some big houses, it was like an episode of "Big Brother". I even tried to play MTW2 again. I also tried using the new VMWare Workstation 7 that supports DirectX and played some MTW and Caesar 3 in a Virtual machine. I even considered the option of HoI3. I then played Civ 4 / BTS random games.

Then just before the new decade began, I am back to Civ 4 / "Road to War". What is it about Civ that keeps me coming back. Year after Year.

It's like a drug.

2. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Yeah treatment has been tried by a few Civers out here with little results, I've even know some people to throw their disks away only to buy them again in a month or two. The retention on this game is amazing, I've never ran into a game I can play for years and not get tired of it.

3. kiwitt

My infection is severe.

My first PC could play Civ II fine, but When Civ III came out it crawled, so I bough a new one. Then Civ 4 came out and it crawled, so I had bought a new one again. If it wasn't the consequence of my PCs getting old and needed replacing (after 6 years each), I would blame Civ for it.:D

4. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Yeah I bought a $250 video card with a half gig of video RAM, just so I can play 'faster' haha

5. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

I'm considering getting a new computer for the sole reason of playing Civ4 faster.. :D

6. kiwitt

Like me.

I now have a Core i7 / 6 GB / 4870 and it still "lags".

7. MazeMouse

MazeMouse Chieftain

I have a "cycle"
    Baldur's Gate Trilogy (Although it's more a quadrilogy if you count tales of the sword coast)
    Deus Ex
    Football Manager (newest version of that time)
    Civ (started with civ2. went to Alpha Centauri. Skipped over Civ3 straight into Civ4 Warlords)

Rise of Mankind now has me drawn back into Civ4

8. kiwitt

Damn ... Damn ... Damn .... I have just discovered "Hot Seat", I could use this to play multiple players in a scenario I am working on.

Why do I never stop discovering new ways to play.

9. MazeMouse

MazeMouse Chieftain

I tried this once only to discover I "favor" one of the leaders along the way and specifically try to win him (and play badly with all other leaders :()

I am weak :cry:

10. Bluto_Longneck

Bluto_Longneck Chieftain

I must have like 10 newer games, just sitting there on the shelf. I play them now and again, but the deep involvement as in CIV, is lacking all over the place.

Maybe DA:O, is closest by the feeling of being immersed. But not anywhere as close as CIV4, or CIV3 when that happened.

MazeMouse:

I was in your seat once, do this:

Pick Random World Map Script, Random leader and the rest is random too. Keep barbs on for your promotions and set your level one higher than you're used to. Spam settlers and archers/warriors for 4 maybe 5 cities, then just put a few cottages down. Don't forget to build 1.5 worker per city.

11. deryni21

deryni21 Chieftain

Damn, you guys make me feel like I'm experimenting with drugs by playing Civ... although, I can tell already that I'm getting infected with the disease, I'm posting this... in class.

12. kiwitt

But when you are playing a Scenario like RtW you can select the Allies, you want to control. i.e. AXIS: German, Italy, etc. ALLIES: England, France, USA, etc.
    Me too.

MTW was my last addiction; RTW,MTW2,ETW all failed to impress me.