I will have my revenge!

Carrying a grudge is a burden on you, not on the person that offended you. They don't care. You get back at them by not caring.

If they don't care that you're holding a grudge, they won't care if you stop caring either, so it's not really getting back at them.

I don't need your forgiveness! I meant every damn word I ever said about your mother, her integrity and virtue, your sister AND her integrity and virtue, your dog, your priest, your lemon cake, the way you drive, your curtains AAAAAND that polo shirt! :aargh:

I don't need your forgiveness! I meant every damn word I ever said about your mother, her integrity and virtue, your sister AND her integrity and virtue, your dog, your priest, your lemon cake, the way you drive, your curtains AAAAAND that polo shirt! :aargh:

Well...that escalated quickly.

Just take the loss, whatever it is, I'd say.

In a hundred years time, all this will be fields anyway.

Or you get back at them by carrying out your revenge in an expedient manner, thus relieving yourself of the burden while simultaneously making your adversary's life miserable.

I was always taught that people must pay for their transgressions, one way or another. For example: When I was about 13 or so, one of my friends had a laser pointer stolen from him by this other kid. So what did we do about it? We broke into his house, stole back the laser pointer and also stole his Playstation and stereo, and sold them. Sure enough, my friend wasn't angry anymore. In fact, he had a big smile on his face and some money in his pocket because he decided to take revenge. The other guy? He was walking around school with a sad-sack look on his face for quite a while.

What you describe is not relief. It's taking on an additional burden, or at best trading one for a worse other.

Remember, too, the transgressions the OP has suffered are verbal insults at which he took offense.

If they don't care that you're holding a grudge, they won't care if you stop caring either, so it's not really getting back at them.

You're right, I shouldn't've said that that way. I should've said 'you get even with them by not caring'.

So then what did this kid do to get revenge for having his playstation and stereo stolen? Firebomb your friend's house and kill his dog? If everyone followed this strategy I can see a problem developing...

What you describe is not relief. It's taking on an additional burden, or at best trading one for a worse other.

Remember, too, the transgressions the OP has suffered are verbal insults at which he took offense.

Whether or not it creates an additional burden depends on your outlook on life. If you think stealing for the sake of revenge is a bad thing, then yeah, you'll take on an additional burden for doing it. But if you put yourself in the mindset that you are just giving someone what they deserve, then it doesn't weigh on your conscience at all.

Also, I'm not saying the OP break into someone's house and steal their stuff for verbal insults. I do believe in a measured response when taking revenge on someone, meaning the revenge you take has to be somehow related to the transgression. Like in the scenario I described, that kid stole from my friend, so we stole from him.

So then what did this kid do to get revenge for having his playstation and stereo stolen? Firebomb your friend's house and kill his dog? If everyone followed this strategy I can see a problem developing...

Actually, he never figured out it was us that did it.

It begs a deeper question: how annoying was your friend being with the laser pointer?

Haha I forgot about that guy. Although he was never my 'friend' to begin with. I honestly don't even know what his name is.

Mass starts tomorrow and I know I need to go. I've fallen really far away from God this past week.

Revenge and anger has engulfed my soul. I'm spinning out of control with anger and hate. It's actually effected my productivity and ability to focus with my college homework/readings.

The one good thing about me is I am not prejudiced in the classic sense of the word. That is, it doesn't matter whether you're woman, man, straight, gay, black, white.

There are only two kinds of people: Those who verbally and/or physically assault me, and those who do not.

If someone assaults I will hold a grudge against them for the rest of my life, maybe even if they apologize (they almost never do).

In other news I've been really emotionally attached to 'The Downward Spiral' album by Nine Inch Nails.

The album speaks to me on a personal level I've never felt by any before. Trent Reznor was about the same age I am now when he made it and reading off Wikipedia, he seemed to have many of the exact issues i'm having now (depression, anxiety, anger etc).

I go to the gym and lift weights as heavy as I can bear while listening to aggressive industrial rock such as Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park, Ramnstein, etc. As I lift each heavy weight I fantasize someone who bullied me in the past and if I can pull the weight up each time I'll be able to beat them up. I am a male in my mid 20's who is hitting the gym on a regular basis, and I'm considering signing up for some self-defense/fighting classes as well just to enhance this all the more.

95% of the general population should be afraid of me just by looking at me.

Oh, you're a Catholic?

That would explain much, imo.

Though I don't think there's any known cure, I'm afraid.

Hmm. That would be a case of the cure being even worse than the disease?

But joking aside, it's curious to me how impossible it is to stop being a Catholic. It doesn't matter what you do or what other religion you take up (or ignore), you aren't considered (by the Catholic church) to have stopped being Catholic. You've just become a "bad" Catholic.

Top Bottom