[GS] I wish Military Engineers didn’t suck...

ME’s I think are quite fun during a war. I always bring a few to build airstrips after I razed a city.

also training a few in high productive cities to speed up construction of dams, flood barriers, canals etc in low productive cities speeds up your game significantly.

Wish railroads (or the trains travelling on them) didn’t consume coal though.
FXS could expand on this by introducing a trainstation district. And maybe along with it a harbor building that doubles/triples your coal per turn

Last edited:
I think giving them an ability to 'sap' enemy fortifications would be a help. Basically take a chunk out of medieval and Renaissance walls health for a charge. Renaissance walls in particular are neigh impenetrable when they initially appear.

I think giving them an ability to 'sap' enemy fortifications would be a help. Basically take a chunk out of medieval and Renaissance walls health for a charge. Renaissance walls in particular are neigh impenetrable when they initially appear.

Did not think about that. But that would be actually awesome., and is historically accurate too. Very good Idea.

This is the stuf fxs should be adding in the balance patches.

They could make them a Tier 3 siege support unit (in addition to their normal functionality). It would make more sense for a Siege Tower to upgrade to a Military Engineer than a Medic.

Would really appreciate being able to hurt walls and/or pillage with Military Engineers. Furthermore I think Forts in home territory should have increased move costs for foreign units, and this ability should extend to all Fort-like improvements (such as Great Walls, Roman Forts and Pas).

I still end up using MEs quite a bit nowadays though. I'm often spamming MEs later in the game in order to fast build Dams and Flood Barriers, which is especially useful for cities with lower production. I also find Airstrips to be very useful for continuing a campaign with air units when Aircraft Carriers aren't available, or the air units can't reach far enough inland from the ACs.

Military engineers IRL often had a crucial role during siege, so I really like this idea.

On the other hand, if railroads can have a larger bonus - for instance +1 gold and per tile for trade routes, City Centers and IZs linked by them receive a production bonus (like in Civ 5 but smaller), etc - I assume more people will build military engineers.

Ehhh
Military engineers are great.

I used to not build them, but last weeks I fell in love and always keep some around,especially in apocalyse mode.

Especially when playing as Victoria (because who would play Eleonor :] )

England build them much faster and have 4 charges, remember. they are also quite cheap to gold buy

Buildng roads is weak and not worth it usually, but:
- MI can chop. with increasing cost of builders, their charge of choping is lower price than builder's
- MI can stand the same tile as builder, so you can doublechop the same tile the same turn the same tile
- MI can remove improvements to make place fe. for national parks (you don't always have builder everywhere)
- MI cana repair all improvements, just in case of tornado or sth (MI says hello to apocalypse mode )
- MI can set up whole industrial complex in few turn (rushing dams, canals and so on). This is cheaper than reyna buy (they will finish bbefore Reyna finishes her 5-turn trip)
- MI can rush flood bareers (or how it is called)
- MI can rush projects in a builder way

Anyway
Victoria is a fantastic leader and English unique unit is in fact military engineer. Recoat and seadog - who cares, who uses...

I miss the Citadel you could build in Civ 5 with Great General, they had a damage per turn to adjacent enemies thing that was powerful. In my opinion they should make forts stronger because I never bother to build them, add some other feature they can build and make railroads something the Builder should be able to do instead. Or have it as a project to replace roads linked from the selected city to your cities.

Came up with another idea: Military Engineers adjacent to an enemy city put the city under siege. The ME can't do much by itself, but preventing the city from repairing would be very useful.

I think people are underrating the utility of railroads when on the offense. Engineers can build railroads inside enemy empires, which your units can immediately put to use. You can have 3-5 MEs leapfrog over each other to slam out railroads very quickly, effectively doubling or tripling your army's movement speed. Mobility is very important in practically every strategy game ever made, and MEs are quite cheap at only 170 production cost and just 2 gold for maintenance per turn.

Apart from the chop thing lily said, ME's are about making that road across a river or through a wooded pass. I find taking one on a military campaign is just not enough but helps (you can't always get what you want... but you get what you need). They need more charges but then they become builder replacements which is not the idea. I think they are as right as they can be with the abilities they have.
What? So can it rush space projects?
I did not know this either, interesting.

What? So can it rush space projects?

Wouldn't this mean that you could rush to the entire space race within just a few turns by just amassing a couple of MEs? If that is indeed possible (I haven't tried), I don't belief that this is WAI. It seems just too powerful to complete a project worth several thousand hammers by spending just five ME charges.

Top Bottom