I wonder if "steam" was a good idea!

stwils

Emperor
I have tried to download the demo on two Well equipped Dell xp computers. Both computers crashed to the desk top after the intro video. I have downloaded many games demos including Civ4 and all age of empires and others. Have never had a crash. I am wondering if "steam" is such a good idea.

Stwils

I love Steam. And it is just a download tool - you'd probably be having the same problem if you installed from D2D or a disc.

I've had steam about an hour, an hour longer than I've had this game installed off a dvd, and been spammed with advertisements 3 updates and 2 direct x installs. To me its crap and will be removed from my computer following this install.

I have never had an issue with steam - and I've purchased/installed/played over 30 games from the digital retailer. If you are having issues with the game, I highly doubt it's a Steam issue. A ton of people are having a ton of different issues with the game right now - and the grand majority(90%) of the issues can not be attributed to Steam.

Forcing us to install 3rd party software of any kind is absolutely unacceptable, and steam is clearly even worse than that. I'd already preordered civ 5 before I ever heard of this nonsense, or I wouldn't have bought it. If steam is involved in civ 6, I will not buy it, period. I can't wait for someone to fix civ 5 so steam is not required and can thus go to hell.

i love civ4 and i would buy civ5 if it wasn't for steam. As long as civ5 requires steam, i will never buy it.

I've had steam about an hour, an hour longer than I've had this game installed off a dvd, and been spammed with advertisements 3 updates and 2 direct x installs. To me its crap and will be removed from my computer following this install.

You're in for a surprise, you need Steam installed to run Civ5!

Go into the settings and turn advertisements and updates off, then find something else to have a hissy fit about.

I have tried to download the demo on two Well equipped Dell xp computers. Both computers crashed to the desk top after the intro video. I have downloaded many games demos including Civ4 and all age of empires and others. Have never had a crash. I am wondering if "steam" is such a good idea.

Stwils

And this is Steam's fault how?

I've had Steam for almost 2 years now, and have bought and played Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, and COD MW2 through it. I didn't like it at first, but after living with it I must say I have grown to like it. Steam is simply a digital delivery service, it puts the game on your computer just the same as a disc would. You have the option to launch the game from Steam similar to GameSpy and X-Fire. And like those 2 other tools from there it is done. EVERYTHING from that point forward is the game and your computer's ability to run it.

When I clicked on start in DX10/DX11 it installed a newer version of DX9 (I had made sure DX11 was up to date prior to install but not DX9) because the game developers dictated that a certain version of Direct-X was required to play this game.

I can certainly understand that needing Steam is initially frustrating to people who aren't interested in multiplayer. But once you're used to it, and discover it's not the root of all evil, you'll at least be ok with it. As Senethro said above, change the settings to turn off the advertisements, and updates if you wish.

Top Bottom