Iberic Honour

Gargantua_FR

Chieftain
Hello guys,
I am quite new at civfanatic even if I have been a lurker from one year. And all of this stories inspired me to start my own variant game with a narrative report. I post the introduction here.

Here is the abstract version if you don't want to read the lengthy introduction
Spoiler :

I will play on prince, marathon speed on the Europa map (provided with beyond the sword) with 12civ from antic Europa. I, myself play as the spanish and the variant is we have to become friend with the Englishs and buddy buddy with the Gauls

Mr Soupalognon, the Sun rises in 4000 B.C. on iberic peninsula, and you have been chosen to lead the spanish people to become a major european power. An omniscient god has revealed you lot of informations about the surroundings civ, so you may want to listen carefully the following map description :

This game takes place on the Europa map provided with Beyond The Sword, this includes all of northern Africa coast and Israël and mesopotamia. It has been slightly customized mainly to ensure ressource and capitals surrondings balance. However, this has been done a year ago so we don't know a lot about our initial positions. This is supposed to be sort of Antic european history oriented but ther are a few inaccuracy for game balance purpose. 12 Civ are known to compete for Europa's domination, being cultural, military diplomatic or scientific.
First ourselves, Iberic peoples led by Soupalognon (Isabella of Spain). We start on the east coast of Iberic peninsula (somewhere between nowadays Barcelona and Valencia if I remember correctly) at the city of Carthagène. No more is known around our position, except we should have source of both strategic and precious metals and a relative dry land for historical accuracy.

To the north, lives our ethnic brother Brennus of Gauls (Celts). He is currently on the collins in central Gaul, but there is a very fertile valley to his north, to the east stand the Alp mountain and after that, we have :

Julius Caesar himself : His starting position is a bit small but he has lot of ressource and his legion may try to conquer Gaul or pacifically expand to the awesome Danube valley east of italy.n the former case he will have to compete with the two following rivals.

First Alaric leader of Gothic horde (Charlemagne of HRE) starting in the fertile and flat valley, not far from baltic sea. He'd like to saccage Rome one more time but his starting position is low on production, exept for ton of forest.

Then Pyrrhus of Epire (Alexander of Greeks), the famous roman rival starts in Athens with horse and copper availlable. He has two main expansion choice. Either the Balkan and Danube valley or the turkish peninsula, not so fertile but more productive with marble availlable. Controlling Constantinopolis might be a very good spot.

To the north lives Cassillevauno of Britons (Victoria of England), our ethnic cousin. Britain island is very good, lot of rare ressource (Deer and beaver). And Ireland is looking good as well if he wants to set up a scientific civilization. However Londinium is one tile off the coast so if he wants to expand on the sea, that's a though competition with :

Ragnar of Vikings. This guy even has a galley at start to play with. His homeland, Scandinavia has only a few but very good spot. Still he his a prime candidates to settle denmark, western russia and perhaps some brittons trading post.

On the central and cold russia province you can met the completely slightly inaccurate Oleg the wise of Rus' (Stalin of Russians) Russian has no antic leader and we cannot let all that land to barbarians. He start in an heavy forested region, has a lot of polar ressources and a lot of good land he may claim to his west and south. However there is someone not so far away, he had better to keep an eye on.

ATTILA himself, leader of the Huns (Genghis Kahn of Mongolia), the furious barbarians hordes. They even got two keshiks at the start. (By the way the Keshik is so more appropriate for Huns than for Mongols as an UU). Lot of horses live in this region which is a bit dry, the best territory nearby is the Black Sea coast.

More to the south, in mesopotamia, we have Darius of persian Empire. A very good region for starting a civilization with a lot of flood plains (almost the only ones with egyptians) along Tiger and Euphrate. However there is a few deset in the surroundings and with map borders (By the way Earth is flat and there is nothing but Dark Hell beyound World's border) he is kinded of screwed. At this time Mesopotamia was well advanced compare to Europe, so to reflect this Persepolis already has a barracks and Darius has a worker availlable.

To his east, live the jewish led by King David (Gilgamesh of Sumeria), they also got good starting position and nice expansion possibilty in Egypt (Egypt civilization is already in decline and there is only barbs there now) and in Turkia. Another advenced civ starting with a farmed wheat and of course the judaic holy city of Jerusalem.
Finally the last one Hannibal of Carthaginians, the famous roman's worts ennemy. He his very isolated, His starting position looks quite good after OG's intervention (my god, it was so useless by default, only plains and desert tiles). He his quite isolated, so he will have to compete for mediterrannean possesions if he wants to be relevant in this story. He has a starting galley to help him in this task, though.

Finally, last one : since Europe is kind of backward barbarians are ragings in this region, be careful !

I had fun in the workbuilder editing the diplomacy, so I have a few thing to say on that point. There are two coherent ethnic groups slightly in love with each other, namely the Celts (ourselves, Brennus and Cassillevauno) and the Germans (Ragnar, Alaric and Stalin). Other than this, commercial civ (Viking, Greeks and Carthaginians) also have respect with each other. Romans and Greeks surely dislike barbarians (Huns, Goths, Russians), however their respective worts ennemy are of course Carthage and Persia and this is reciprocical. Strangely, Romans like the Greeks as they learnt a lot from them, but Greeks do see them barely more evolved than barbarians tribes and have no respect for them. Alaric's worst ennemy is Rome but he also dislike Brennus and Attila as he sees them as competitor for the fall of the City. Attila almost hates everyone except Vikings but his worst ennemies are Russians (reciprocical) and Persians. Vikings are quite binary, liking people they are commercing with (Greeks, Persians and Carthaginians) and their relatives (Goths and Russians) and dislike others but their hate is mostly devoted to Cassillevaunos who also would like to see them dead. This last one don't care about other continental peoples (except their Celtic cousins). No ones care about the Jews except Hannibal who like them and Attila who hate the concept of civilization itself. Hannibal surely hates Rome and he also would like to vassalized Spain before conquering the eternal City.

So Mr Soupalognon, you are in charge of this challenge. Of course you are a man of Honour so you cannot do anything you would like. You must be kind towards your relative Brennus, this means accepting all his demands, being tech gift, religious, warring, civic switch. Hopefully his favorite civic is organised religion, not bad one and we are spiritual. You also have to make sure they remain relevant in this Game of Thrones so you must declare war on any civs able to conquer a Gaul city (a true gaul city, not a barb outpost conquered in other side of the world due to AI craziness). Side note, if they happen to DOW you (you must do whatever you can for that not to happen but we can never trust the AI), this is a trahison, so you are allowed to capture any cities you want to bring them back to reason and extort some reparations on peace treaty. However you are a forgetful man, so as soon as the peace is signed you must liberate back their cities. Celtic people have a huge pride of themselves so of course you should never vassalized them.
Cassillevaunos is our cousin, so you must please him as well. However, being lonely on his own island brought him a bit further from the true celtic spirit, so he has no word to say about our foreign or souverain policy. More explicitly, we should give him whatever tech or gold he asks for but we don't have to swap civic and religion or declare war or embargo the way he'd like us to do. Of course they must be defended if it appears that Brittany is in peril.

And finally, we must of course defend our homeland with all our heart. That is to say we have to declare war on any competitors settling in Iberic peninsula. But since we are quite civilized we may agree to trading post in this peninsula (a trading post is a city controlled by a civ which is friendly towards us). By the way we won't declare war to friendly civ, unless we have a very good reason for it. Reminds that Brennus wanting to do so is a good reason.

I will play this challenge at marathon speed and prince difficulty, a level I am (very) comfortable with. But Monarch is still a challenge for me (moreover with some added constraint) and for this kind of roleplaying I want to allow myself some freedom of stategies.

I finish this introduction by comments from the mapmaker's point of view. Notice that I already played this exact scenario once (a year ago) as Pyrrhus of Epire and I liked quite well. I don't have good memories about our starting position but I think we have a lot of brown land. I am pretty sure to have given at least one strategic ressource to every one, if not in initial BFC, reachable via a second city. This is important as raging barbs are no jokes ! (even in prince). In the Pyrrhus game, David was crippled due to horde coming from egypt and Hannibal never found a second city and got eliminated around 500 BC. In spain we have less empty space so this might not be so hard but Great Wall is a possibility (no idea whether we have stone or not). Caesar and Stalin did pretty well in land grab and were major power. Actually, Julius completely overexpanded from Italy to Poland and Black sea, crippling Alaric but falling behin in tech and was then almost conquested by myself. However, I don't trust Pyrrhus AI to be such an adversary and AI Caesar could be a major threat in future (which is quite accurate from roleplaying point of view). With Caesar going east, Brennus slowly raised his power and territory and became a major power, so even if he is our friend, he may be a rival. Cassillevauno, Ragnar and Darius also did quite well, not expanding so much but leveraging their financial trait and were tech leader. And I think that Darius would have been a major threat without the Great Kahn to give him some trouble, he really did his job of slowing down eastern civilizations even if he collapsed in late 18th century after being dogpiled (Pyrrhus actually played a major role in this diplomatic event...) For our game, I think we should be careful not being boxed in by Brennus who start notso far from cote d'azur, finding a way to expand out iberia may be a challenge. Iberic peninsula might be enough to space win. However at marathon speed, this will be very boring and I plan to get more territory. Crossing mediterrannean and settling Morrocco is a definite possibility as this land has lot of ressource rare on Europa but we will have to handled lot of barbs and maybe Carthage as well. Otherwise a war towards Rome is the most straightforward expansion road.

Ok so let's begin. Here is the start :

A good cottageable site even if low on ressource. We also have some production. It is a shame not to have seafood with fishing starting tech. The northern mountain makes me think about pyrrennean, so we may be further north than I initially thought. Since Brennus will likely found a religion, I think we should let him do this and start worker tech. Probably the tech plan should be agriculture → animal husbandry to improve our two ressources, then the classical bronze working sounds good or maybe pottery to start cottaging. Not sure worker first is the best plan though, as he will spend some turn inactive but what else ? We already have two warriors (Every civ start with an extra military in this scenario), we cannot build scout, a barrack maybe ? Note that border pop is due in 11 turn which grant acces to three food rice or three hammer forested hill, useful for worker production as expansive leader.

I will try to play 2 to 3 round per week, starting this weekend. I expect to play about 60 turns per round (obviously more in the early game). Then, if there is any interrest in this forum, I will post a report in an (hopefully) enjoyable narrative format.

P.S. Apologize for the few (or many) english mistakes and nonsense, I hope it remains plesant to read.

Your image didn't embed because you put the link to the landing page of the image in the

Good start. Here is the obligatory "what is this, a jpeg for ants?" post.

First time ehhh...

:band::band:[party]:dance:[party]:bounce::rockon::rockon::band:

Welcome, Young writer, to the land where the strong control all and the weak "cultured" people burn, where the advanced destroy the primitive, where the UN is a tool for world domination, where democracy is just a means of building things quicker while communism is the most effective economy for large empires more often than not, where those who conquer the quickest and than keep control of their spoils are the most respected, where men love to start as cavemen on their trip 2 the cosmos, the heavens fall twice with incantations of unbelievable power, where the ultimate religious authority is a white, radioactive rock that can burst forth sometimes with the radiance of a thousand suns[1], where the forecast is continued war in a hell-hole of eternal war against EurasiaEastAsia with a 101% chance of mushroom clouds, or have been forced to abandon their own home due to thermonuclear warfare for the stars. All at the dance of those voyaging writers, who place with the lives of trillions for the purposes of their game.

This is Civfanatics. Only The the strong will flourish under its members iron rule and titanium fists. The weak will be perished, the strong ganged on, the cunning survive.
Do you have what it takes, Oh maybe wise and definitely greedy writer?

Fun fact, this is the exact same message I got when I first started writing. Haven't changed a word.

Congratulations for a first post that is rich in content!

This is normal BtS, right? No mods?

If possible, do try to use the full size screenshots, maybe hidden inside spoilers if they are too big or too many. Tiny pictures are not really useful, unfortunately.

Welcome to the site! I am your king and I will be showing you to your seats. Please remain seated throughout the duration of the flight as this plane is made out of popsicle sticks and chewing gum.

I) Seting up a Government (4000 to 2800 B.C.)

In 4000 B.C. Mr Soupalognon woke up in his palace (actually not more than a hut at this time) and looked at his soon to be magnifiscient capitol of Carthagène. He felt that the surroundins landscape was to bee scouted and sent his two escouads of warriors in exploration after having warned them against raging animals. The next day, having learnt the despot's orders, a man called Joseph Jacques Césaire (herafter name Joseph) came to the palace :

“Sir Soupalognon, you left our city undefended, the population worries a lot about it. Do you want us to be eated by lions and bears ?”

“Don't worry I know those animals, they are afraid by city light and won't enter our borders.”

“I am not so confident but you are in command. Still I suggest we start training new warriors right now in case the situation changes”

“So be it, today I feel I should listen my population. So you are in charge of this project. And from now, you are nominated Chief General of our army !”

“Too much of an honour, my lord.”

Some time after (decades according to this game but that does not fit very well the narrative), our northern explorers met Brennus, living in a collinean country not far from the Rhone delta. Huge diplomatic festivities were organised to celebrate the discovery of our true friends. Among all ideas Brennus told his druids to build some strange stone circles to celebrate our future friendship. As we will see later Soupalognon were very inspired by this.
Spoiler :

A few century later an hispanic citizen named Charles-Maurice was back from vacation in Gaul and brought some strange news to Soupalognon :

“Sir, you shall know that a man calling himself “the Awaken” has preached for a better life and many peoples followed his lessons. Those people actually founded what should be called a religion and named it “Boudhism” after the Gallic translation of “Awaken” Brennus even converted himself and declare this the Gallic state religion, Bibracte is now considerd an Holy city.

“Those are very interresting news. Charles-Maurice. You are now my new ministry of foreign policy. Go back to Bibracte, try to study this religion and convert our people to this as it may pleased our celtic friends.”

On the same time, Hispanic civilization continued to prosper, exploring the territory and in 3565 B.C. Carthagène experienced a huge demographic growth, around the same time, a women called Evariste introduced herself to Soupalognon :

“My lord, after long but fruitful experiments and research a group of people led by myself have learnt how to cultivate the land. We could now farm the rice north to our city to support even more population”

“This research is extremely useful, your contribtion to our empire shall be acknowledged. You shall be nominated my scientific advisor if you wish so.”

“I am extremely pleased by this decision. For my first recomandation, I suggest we learn how to domesticate the sheep in our east.”

After this conversation Soupalognon saw his new military detachment ready and ordered to hire some civilian worker to farm the rice as Evariste had suggested. Everything were progressing as expected when suddenly a tragedy occurred : Appenrently, lightnings stroke nearby Carthagène and a whole forest burnt to the ground. This was shocking news for the population.
Spoiler :

This event actually occurred a second time 40 years later in the south east of the city, people were whispering the Hispanic Civ was hated by gods. However, led by the wise Soupalognon Iberia was able to forget this malediction and for the 1000 year memorial of the foudation of the city Evariste had very good news :

“My lord, our workers have farmed the rice and a second farm nearby is almost completed even if there is no more cereals. But I ordered our workers to leave that work for a while as we now know how to domesticate wild animals, it seems more useful to pastured the sheeps now.”

“Well done miss”

Then Joseph entered the palace :

“Sir, I followed Evariste's research as I had great expectations we could use domesticated animals for military duties. However our explorations have revealed only cows and sheep nearby and I am definite : it is impossible to to use them for our warriors ! Please have a look at what we have :

Spoiler :

“Therefore I suggest we research the science of archery because our exploring warriors suffered many injuries from raging bears and barely survived. So they need more evolved weapons.”

“Mrs Evariste don't listen that paranoid guy, better to learn how to mine our surroundings hill so we could improve the productivity of our empire”

This time was exhausting for Soupalognon who had lot of decisions to take. After the new scientific project he had to choose a new construction project for Carthagène. There were a lot of debate as Joseph was worried for protection and required more soldiers ; Evariste wanted to hire more worker to improve the land even if they could only farm, and Charles proposed an exciting but costly project of sending civilian peoples to settle in a new city in some good spot. Soupalognon agreed for one more division of warriors. Then, after it has been trained, an idea came to his mind. He requested the best architect in his emire to come to th palace. This happened to be Armande Jeanne du Plessis who came as quickly as she could :

“Mrs Armande you are told to be the best architect in Hispania, I want to hear your point of view on a project which came to my mind this morning”

“I am here to serve you.”

“Actually I remembered what our friends Brennus did in our meeting party. He build a small stone circle for mysticist reasons. I think we can do a bigger one which will reflect the majesty of our empire and may be use to influence the unsettled land near our cities.”

“Sir I have to say that even if possible such a project will require an astonishing amount of labor, our best worker will do this for centuries rather than more useful stuff. However, as an architect I am very excited by this project, this seems magnificient !”

“So let the construction begin !”

The next day all the labor force of the city was shifted to the new utopic project, except Charles and Joseh who went straight to see the despot :

“Sir this is pure madness, this won't do anything to defend ourselves, we need more military ! I have to say that thare are rumors that some other civilizations not as pacifist as Brennus are living in the world, I know we never met them but better be safe than sorry. And we also have reasons to believe that in the unsettled land some barbarians people start gathering and taking weapons in order to raze our civ."

“Sir, even if this project seems appealing, I have reason to think that some other may be tempted to do the same. Especially Brennus who definitely has the technology to buid such a wonder. I am sure you agree that building this one after another civ seems pretty useless."

“Shut up you all, don't discuss my order ! We will carry on on this project for now while I am considering the situation. And if we give up this one, we could always sell the construction materials for some gold, as for now the entire state budget is used to fund Evariste's science and we have absolutely no gold in stock.”

Here were the things going in Hispania around 2800 B.C.

II) Spreading the civilization (2800 – 1380 B.C)

Comments from Jules Michelet, the narrator : In 1500 B.C. During what would be called the Great Crisis, due to heavy pillaging from the barbs, the artists palace of Carthagène was sacked and burnt to the ground. As a result all pictures and iconographic documents from anterior times were lost, only the eldest one ; those archived before 2800 B.C. had a saved copy in Soupalognon's palace. (We already displayed these documents). So the history, at this time, was transmited through oral legend only and, therefore, remains quite mysterious. Soupalognon was very upset about this and this is probably why he ordered Evariste to search a new way to transmit history. So the Great Crisis eventually led Hispania to invent writing.

So around 2800 B.C. Soupalognon ordered the construction of the great Stonehenge but the population remains skeptical to the use of this project in a one-city empire, therefore, the works was progressing slowly. Plus in 2710 B.C. Rumors started widespreading that a new religion had been founded in a faraway land, claiming that many gods do exist. So hispanic peoples had even less interest in a spiritual project. However, Carthagène was still florishing and more and more people were joining the city in a level that would soon be too high to administarte properly. Around the same time Evariste claimed that she had found a way to build mines and increase productivity of Hispanic citizens. However, she found no way to let people work so hard that they may kill them. “Hispanic society is not ready for slavery” she said. So, Soupalognon knew he had to find a way to stop demographic growth and find a more exciting project for his people. So he did a public speech :

“People from Hispania, we, definitely, are the most brillant civilization in the world. I think we should spread it to the surroundings land and repell barbarians warriors who are now threathening our empire. From this time every new family will provide some people to a new settling expeditionnary force. Gather food to avoid them starvation during the long journey and bring them construction materials for founding a new city in our empire. Long life to Hispania !”

“Soupalognon is great ! Long life to him !!”

The Hispanic leader eventually asked Joseph to protect the expedition with half of the state army. The settlers traveled north, crossing the pyrennean without encoutring any bars who obviously had heared about the skill of the hispanic general. Finally in 2370 B.C. They establish the new city of Perpignan on the coast, near Brennus' territory, expecting to improve trade relations with their celtic friends. The surrounding land looked attractive with some fish on the sea an cows on the land, plus the Rhone river not so far for commercial purposes. Charles worried a bit that this settlement might annoy Brennus as he could have consider this land to rightfully belong to him but the foreign policy minister was not listened.

After this succesful expedition, Soupalognon was back on his stonehenge idea but this time he was able to let his citizen working in mines rather than harvesting crops which slowed down the demographic evolution. The construction looked more efficient now but this was still a very long term project. A century after Charles came with interresting news :

“My lord our scouting warrior have seen a very strange military wooden vessel on our western coast. I have the regret to say that this kind of achievement seems far from our technologic skills. “

“Do not underestimate Evariste's possibility, our science may be progressing slowly but we will be one day the most evolved civ on Europa.”

“Sure, sure... Still this vessel was led by some people with very awful horns hat calling themselves Vikings. Apparently they live further north in a country were water is always frozen. They may have exagarated but it does not look appealing in any case. Apparently they were the founders of the new hindouist religion we have heard about centuries ago. As you know I am now a follower of Boudhist religion so my impression about them is not good”

“Forget your religious beliefs, I am sure we can trade with this peoples”

“I am not so sure, You shall know that they asked about our migthly undefended cities. Therefore I really do not trust them.”

“Well, you may be right , History will tell !”

In the same time Evariste had exciting news :

“Sir, I am pleased to announce you that we can now produce axes, these one can be used to chop wood and accelerate the production of everything you wish”

“This is great news, we shall use the forest next our capital right now to build our stone structure faster.”

“I also have to say that with these new tedious labour possibilities, iberic peoples are ready to use slaves. You may wish to declare Hispania as an official slavery state.”
“Well, I am spiritual, no needs to shock the population right now, we will do it for our next big project and now you shall the secret of wheel to improve our internal communications and...”

At this time, an excited Joseph appeared :

“My lord, I have heard about the new axes ! This is better than my dreams, we can use them to equip our soldiers, with this kind of weapons, no one could resist our army and.."

“Calm down” replied Evariste “We have explored this militaric use and we are definite : regular axes are useless for soldier. A militaric axe should be build with a new metal called copper. There is exactly one source of copper in Iberic peninsula located east of the Capital, It is not so far, but it would require a new settlement to be exploited. We have seen cows and silver in this region as well so it may be a good idea.”

“Thanks everyone, for useful advice, I think we will send a new settling expedition as Evariste suggested after Stonehenge as Perpignan's one was a huge success. However, before that we need more workers.”

“And soldiers” Joseph said

A few year later, with the help of the wood from Carthagènean forests, construction were progressing as expected. Armande Jeanne du Plessis asked to see the despot :

“Sir I am pleased to annouce you that Stonehenge is completed and looks astonishing, sure this will help spreading the beauty of our civilization.”

“Very good, miss ! You shall be promoted Great Intendant of our empire as acknowledgment of this. With this Perpignan will become a small cultural center.”

“Actually, Perpignan is already quite cultivated as the inhabitants decided to convert to Hinduism”

“What ? How do the Vikings have spred their religion in my empire. Tell to Perpignan that Hinduism will never be the major religion in our empire as Brennus' one is the one true faith.”

“I know my lord, however, no one believe in Boudha in Hispany for now.”

After this, Hispanic civilization was again prospering, cities were growing and be able to use a lot of slave who sadly have the tendency to die during labour. Soupalognon met Ceasar near Perpignan who wanted to sell salad for some reason. He even founded a city in Nice region to produce more salad. In Hispany, the fish and the cows in perpignan were connected. Every one was happy except Joseph.

“My lord, barbarians start rising in power in our country, they even know how to build bows which slaugthered our soldiers. Lost of them die. A few survives thanks to forested hills and became veteran in the art of wood combat but I really worry for our civ if we don't get any military advanced anytime soon. Evariste is learning the science of pottery but the one of archery would be more useful”

“Relax Joseph, Madrid is about to be settled and will bring us the precious copper.”

“Yes but this copper has to be mined and then carried back by road to Madrid, a road which has still to be built. And how can we protect our civilian workers in charge of this with our puny warriors ?”

“This is your job, Chief General, and you'd better to be successful in doing it !”

Soupalognon did not take seriously these warnings and he was not very wise these days as Joseph's fears happened to be justified. Hispania enterd in the Great Crisis period, were almost all the countryside near Carthagène was pillaged. However the city itself was safe. Perpignan was able to provide reinfrocement as the presence of Romans and celts had reppelt barbarians. And Madrid was well defended with help of veteran woodsmen warriors. So Joseph kept his job. In 1500 B.C. rigth after the great fire by barbs. Soupalognon was contacted by an unknown fellow.

“Hello dear hispanic people, I am Hannibal of the great Carthaginians. We live in the southern coast of the Mare Nostrum. I hope we could be able to establish peaceful relations and useful trades.”

Soupalognon, advised by Charles decided to look friendly to this new civ as his empire was in bad shape at this time. However he did not trust them as he thought that him and Ceasar had expansionist policy and wanted to claim lot of Mediterrannean teritory, probably also in Hispany. Ten years later, an erudite called Pline (being the elder or the younger, we'll never know) revealed what he has seen by travelling the whole world and ranked all civilization in respect to their scientific advances :

Spoiler :

Soupalognon was not pleased to be called the Weak but he thought it was not so bad after all. 30 years later Charles brought some news :

“Sir we have heard that a man called Jesus is dead and came back to life accordings to the holy books. He founded the new Christain religion in some unknown land.”

“What ! What are these holy books you are talking about, jews do not exist yet.”

“Remember that the mythic King David was jewish even before the foundation of Carthagène. Actually I have reasons to think that Jesus lived in his country as he is known to have quite a religious personality (he is Gilgamesh AI)."

“All right this is not so crazy after all.”

“Also please note, that citizen of Carthagène believe now in Hinduism.”

“Damn ! Those guys are so stupid”

In 1380 B.C. Joseph came to the palace :

“Sir, we finally have trained our first division of axemen. Time of Barbarians threat is now over.”

“Good, send these guys to Madrid, protecting the copper and train some more to defend the capital.”

With this satisfactory news Soupalognon decided to take a break. Before this he maked the point with Evariste :

“Tell me Mrs, how is the project of translating on paper all the spoken words going ?”

“Well I would say we are halfways through it. I also ordered some Carthagenean citizen to delocated in some cottage near the capitol. This will increase economic activity and therefore taxes in our empire, so research could have more funds.”

“Very good, can you also post a pictured state of our empire. Then I will ask Charles to do the same to provide information about how we are doing compared to ours rivals”

Spoiler :

Here were the things going in Hispania around 1400 B.C.

Many have tried to usurp my title, but all have failed. Everyone knows bugs are more terrifying and powerful than the color scarlet or the person scarlett johansson.

Link to video.

You're a dying breed.

You know, next year, CK, we could technically consider ourselves old-timers.

Edit: Wait.... I joined in 2013? Nevermind I guess I am getting close to my two-year mark.

We are a part of a new era. Many have left already and newcomers are moving in and old-timers are coming back.

Hello folks,
I am pleased to announce you that Soupalognon has progressed on his own History. And Jules Michelet, the famous historian, is currently writing the third chapter of his book. Hopefully he will publish it tomorrow !

Stay tuned !

III) Forging an empire

In 1370 BC, Soupalognon woke up after a long sleep and he felt it was time for choosing a policy for its growing empire. He called all his government members (Charles, Evariste, Joseph and Armande) for what is now known as the first hispanic council meeting. He gave his introductory speech which was recorded by oral tradition because writing was still unknown :

“Dear ministers, our civilization has clearly progressed a lot, both in expansion and in science since the foundation of Carthagène more than 2500 years ago and we seem to be among the most advanced civ in the known world. However, the path to domination is long and hopefully we will still live long enough to accomplish wonders everyone would remember in the following millenia. Our civilization is nothing but small at the moment. I say we must spread the true culture, forge an empire, settle more territory and discover technologies which are, for now, beyond our imagination. I require all your advices to help our civilization grow and become a glorious empire. May the gods, favor Hispania !”

The last sentence was rather unclear as during these times, polytheism was unknown and therefore the concept of gods was unclear to hispanic citizens. The real meaning of this one has been discussed a lot through the ages and we will probably never get a satisfactory answer. But this did not avoid choosing a fruitful policy.

Charles spoke the first : “ Ladies and gentlemen, we have to send peoples exploring the world, there is a lot of unknown regions, even our own peninsula is not completely mapped. And I am confident that many more civilizations remain to be discovered around the world, hopefully we could improve commerce with them and even maybe share our scientific advances. We also need to establish solid friendship with our blood brother, Brennus of the Gauls. Therefore we absolutely need to find a way to archive words and improve communication between ourselves and strangers. For now, the interactions we have with other civ are restricted to polite formalities.”

Evariste replied : “ Yes we are working on this project, it will be ready in a century or about. But I must say that we need to work more on science, currently we are working only barely more efficiently than in the beginings of Hispania. I suggest building cottages to develop economic activities. Our first one is in construction near Carthagène but we should build more.”

Then Armande gave her point of view : “This is respectable project, but I think our first priority is sending settling expeditions and founding new cities. I'd like to say land is power, so we should claim a lot of land. If we are too slow, then either our rivals or the pesky barbarians will do that. I think the best spot for new cities is the ones which can claim precious ressource like gold and silver, this will also keep our citizen happy and allow our old cities to prosper.”

And finally Joseph spoke : “With all respect to peoples present here, those are good advices but the prioritary goal should be military. We now know to train experienced axemen soldiers, let train a lot of them, to guard our cities and patrolling the surroundings. We need to repell the barbs far from our borders or another great Crisis may occur at any time. Land, exploration and science are honorable but whithout enough soldier we will only die !”

Soupalognon thanked all his minister for relevant advices and the next day he annouced to the population that they should work hard to progress on the four projects descibed above. So Carthagène, start training axemen while a settling expedition was added to the list of project of Perpignan. And civilian workers start building cottages in the suburbs of the growing hispanic cities.

The new policy seemed rather fruitful when one day Armande in inspection near Madrid, called the government and instaure emergency procedures. Soupalognon traveled as fast as he could and discovered the shocking news :
Spoiler :

An earthquake had occur and the copper mine had been destroyed with centains of citizens dead in the catstroph. Soupalognon said that this copper was mandatory for Hispania, as it was required to build efficient weapon, therefore he agreed to take emergency fundings from the state budget in order to rebuild the mine as quickly as possible. The fruitful cooperation of the government managed to avoid copper shortage at Carthagène which was training an axemen division.

20 years later, a scout from an unknown civilization enter our borders via the roman's ones. He was accompagnied by a diplomatic escort who were pretending exploring the world in the name of Pyrrhus, King of Epire and ruler of the Greeks.
Spoiler :

Diplomatic amabilities were exchanged and Charles consigned in his diary that Pyrrhus was not trustable. Recently, historians have managed to translate these notes from the old Hispanic language :

“The greek civilization and their king Pyrrhus should not be trusted in my opinion. In the formal discussion we had yersteday, his diplomats were joking about unifying our force and destroy every one else, only for the purpose of having fun ! I am pretty sure they were indeed serious despite joking but wanted to avoid diplomatic incident. It also seems obvious that they are travelling the world searching for military allies for their project. They seem to live quite far away from Hispania, so nothing to fear at the moment but if it appears that Romans are convinced to join them, I will have to warn Soupalognon.”

The despot Soupalognon, actually didn't care much about those strangers mainly because there were nothing to discuss except an eventual war which was obviously completely out of question. However, 20 years later, the diplomatic landscape was about to evolve as Evariste announced to her souverain :

“Sir, I am please to announce you that we have found a way to transcript every words on the stone or papyrus via some nice ideograms. Therefore, the communication has been deeply improved. I suggest we start building libraries where we could stock all those papyrus and the current knowledge of our scientifics, this will obviously help a lot our research effort. Also with these words laid down on stone, we appear much more trustable to other civilizations, so we could sign some formal agreements.”

Suddendly Charles appeared : “My lord, apparently Ragnar and his spies have already learnt the news as they contacted me this morning to sign an open border agreement. This would allow our citizens to go in Vikings territory. Since we still don't know where it is, that is not very useful. However, I suggest we agree in a sign of good relations and may be we could developp trade between our two peoples.”

“We shall sign this one. Also, Charles, please contact our friend Brennus for the same kind of agreement, and also with Hannibal, better please that guy. I am not sure about Julius, he may be tempted to settle our territory, as I heard there is already a detachment of spearmen patrolling Hispania. And this guy seems to have a rather militaristic policy. While not an “ennemy” he is not consider a friend of Hispania. And Evariste, please contact the same people and try to exchange our scientific papyrus, in order to share our discoveries.”

“Sir, I am sorry, I thought about this but the fact is, strangers are using other languages, and therefore we are unable to understand their books. For this we need to find a more universal form of writing I would call Alphabet. We are working on this project but we are nowhere close at the moment.”

“All right, so keep, searching !”

The discovery of writing actually initiated an era of prosperity for Hispania. Enough soldiers were now patrolling the peninsula, so civilian land was safe from barb incursions. Moreover, for some reasons, Romans spearmen also decided to fight the barbs in Hispania. While worried about stanger soldiers in unsettled region of Hispania, Soupalognon was happy about the consequences, so he let them go. Carthagène started building a library as well with cottages, so Evariste's research became more efficient. Madrid, after a granary and barracks, provided most of the state military, using cattle and copper to accelerate production. And Perpignan was on another settling project. Indeed, Soupalognon made sure that for the three thousand years birthday of Hispanic civilization, festivities coincided with the foundation of Barcelona. :
Spoiler :

Barcelona would benefit from the river for trade connection. The forest would be chopped for granary and library and then, citizens could harvest rice and mine silver. The latter even increased the global empire happiness.

10 years after this great accomplishment, Lord McCauley published a new cultural resume of every civilizations in the world :
Spoiler :

Hispania was ranked second before Gaul. Soupalognon suspected the mythic and supposed-to-be-religious King David for the first spot. The good ranking of Hispania was obviously due to Stonehenge who was at that time, the only wonder project of that scale ever built.

During the following centuries, Soupalognon asked to train more civilian workers who helped building cottages in the landscape and every cities were building libraries. The scientific output of iberic empire wer raising quickly. However, barbs were still a threat as they had managed to forge their own axes and were therefore more dangerous. So a lot of soldiers had to be trained, which delayed the next settling expedition. While this was progressing, scientifics finally made some decisive progress. Evariste annouced it at the palace.

“We have finally discovered alphabet, we can now share our technological advances with our neighbour. Actually, I find they are all kind of backwards as no one know the art of writing currently.”

Charles added his point of view : “True no one can equal the majesty of Hispania, However some civilization has knowledge we currently lack, for example, many know archery science and some maritime people, namely Carthage and the Vikings, know how to build sailing boats, so we can do useful trade I think.”

Soupalognon then took his decision : “Charles is right, we shall give the secret of writing to our friend Brennus in exchange for archery tech. This will help our two peoples. And Brennus would probably ask for writing anyways and since I don't want to annoy him, better to get something in return. We shall also teach Carthaginians how to write if they are willing to teach us the sailing technology.”

And the foreign leaders indeed agreed to Soupalognon's plan. Right after, Soupalognon asked Evariste what was her new scientific project. And here is what, according to the legend, she answered :

“Sir, with your permission, I may now work on a project which should have many good consequences for our civilization. But I am reluctant to talk about ir before I finished, I guarantee you shall not be disapointed, this will be a longterm one however.”

Soupalognon was not very satisfied by all that mystery but he trusted Evariste a lot and seing what she had done so far, he agreed to her demand.

A few decades after, while Soupalognon was thinking about where to found the fifth iberic city, two guys came to the palace.
The first one was Brennus himself, he was welcomed by Soupalognon : “Dear friend Brennus, how are things going in your Gallic territory ? I hope you made good use of the writing we taught you.”

“Dear Soupalognon, we acknowledge you for this scientific trade. However, I am not so happy about our relations, your peoples still refuse to believe in the true faith of Buddha.”

“I know, peoples can be so stpid sometimes, may be you could send missionaries to us to preach the rigth faith.”

“Well, we will see what we can do about this. But this is not the purpose of my visit.”
“Please speak, we are always happy to help you.”

“Even if we learnt writing, our science is still puny, so we shall beg your help, if you would mind teach us the secret of Alphabet, this would be helpful.”

“Wow, dear friends, this is not a small demand, we have researched this tech for 600 years, so you want us to give it to you without anything in return.”

“Exactly, are we friends or not ?”

“Well, gods told me not to refuse you anything, so you will get what you ask for.”

“Thank you very much !”
Spoiler :

The second one was an unknown citizen of Carthagène named Mohirra :

“My lord I spent my whole life praying the gods in your Stonehenge site and I was inspired by it. When I woke up this morning, I knew Gods would help me work for Hispania. I can ask the gods to teach me the secret of meditation, which could let our empire build monasteries.”

“I am pleased that you are willing to use the power gods provide to you to help us but your proposal is not so interesting, cannot the gods be of better helps for you and our empire ?”

“I can also ask them to inspire our entire civ and start a golden age.”
“This looks more attractive, but I would prefer you came back in thousand year or so, a golden age would be more useful then.”

“So you don't want any of my services ?”

“Well, I think I can give you a small palace in Carthagène, you could settle there and share your gods' favors with our citizens. This would help a bit the builder and would attract pilgrims who would be ready paying a lot of taxes for our empire.”

“So I offerer you gods' help, and you only want to earn money with it ?”

“Seems I am an heavy capitalist in soul... but you would get half of the money for yourself.”

“Agreed !”

20 years later an unknow sailing boat was seen on Hispanic coast, it belonged to another celtic civilization.
Spoiler :

Soupalognon was very pleased to discover another ethnic cousin and directly sign open borders with Cassillevauno in order to build solid friendship relations. He was a fruitful leader as he had already built the Great Wall and learnt some technologies including iron working. He was, however, unwilling to share technologies. And apparently, living in his lonely island, he was now believing in the false gods of Hinduism, so Soupalognon could foresee it would be hard to forge a three-side alliance as I would have liked to. Ironically, the same years, Buddha followers, started to spread in the city of Barcelona. Armande suggest to declare this the state religion to please Brennus but Soupalognon hold of for some time in order to enjoy some Hindhu culture at Perpignan, close to the Gaul holy capital and keep decent relation with the newly met Cassillevauno.

It was good time for Hispania, as finally in 500 BC, Iberic civilization started being a true empire, founding its fifth city.
Spoiler :

This site would claim gold for the empire and rice for growing the city.

Soupalognon was rather satisfied with the progresses done so far and he ordered his historians to publish a state-of-empire document for future generations :
Spoiler :

Here were the things going in Hispania in 500 BC.

Top Bottom