ICELAND Large map for Warlords

Baldrek

Chieftain
I´m well underway creating a large map of Iceland - I need some guys preferrably Icelanders to take a look at it and give me some feedback on terrain and terrain features. And of course if you have some good ideas do not hesitate to publish them as well.
IMAGE of entire map in spoiler.
Spoiler :

Version 0,50 Has limited resources and limited selections of Civs to play and starting locations are chosen by creator.
**REMOVED**
Version 0,53 has no restrictions on Civilizations you can choose, AI placed starting locations (more balanced).
**REMOVED**
Version 0,57 Has some bugs fixed Added Icelandic Names to civs and leaders and has a balanced starting locations a bit.
**REMOVED**
Version X01 is the same as Version057 except no icelandic names and no restrictions on Civ selection.
**REMOVED**
Version 0,70 Is only slightly diffrent from V057 and its a FLAT map.
**REMOVED**
Version 0,85 has Icelandic tribes.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/22276/IcelandV085.zip
Version 0,86 has no Icelandic tribes AI selects starting locations.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/22276/IcelandV086.zip

I tested the map last night for the first time myself... I must say I was surprised at how much fun it was.:clap: Even if its still incomplete.

Hello,

I have looked at your map. It is a good map, very faithful to the original! :)

Það sem mér finnst vera stærsti "gallinn" við kortið er það að Vestfirðirnir eru nánast óbyggilegir, svo ég taki dæmi: ég lenti með upphafsstaðinn minn nálægt þar sem Trékyllisvík er í Strandasýslu. Leiðin suður er algjörlega blokkeruð af með fjallgarði. Að mínu mati mætti breyta einu af þessum fjöllum í hæð til að líkja eftir Steingrímsfjarðarheiðinni, því að eftir allt saman þá er nú einu sinni fært þangað landleiðina... naumlega þó! :)

Thanks for the feedback Praetorian Steve, I have made the change you suggested, the Vestfirðir are now completely accessible. Made some more changes to the map. Put in Icelandic civilizations.:mischief:
Check out version 0,57 or X01.
If you have more suggestions please do not hesitate to POST MORE.

Hey ho fellow Icelander! :)

PraetorianSteve benti mér á þetta kort ég ætla að prófa það. Lýtur mjög vel út ;)

I´ll give it a thought when the Iceland map reaches Version 1,0.
It should not be long now. I´m having real trouble finding anything wrong with the map... but that could be the admiration for my own creation.:scan:

I have made version 0,7 available in the original thread. Its only slightly diffrent from Version 0,57. The jump up in number is because 0,57 was too low, the map is close to completion. I am having trouble sorting out what I want to be on THE MAP and what should be in A SCENARIO on the same map. :blush:

The Royalist said:
Could I talk you into creating a map of Denmark aswell?

Island er nemlig en dansk koloni! ;)

Island er helt ikke en dansk koloni! :D
Iceland is independent :p
(I couldn't put that in Danish - even though we Icelanders study Danish for 8 years but they still don't know nothing :mischief: :D )
But I can say:
Jeg kan lide leverpostej! That was the first thing I learned in Danish :)

But ideas about the map itself, Baldrek.
I think Suðurland (Skeiðársandur in particular) shouldn't be desert - I think a tundra with floodplains would be a good idea.
And about Reykjanes. I think that you should change a lot of the tundra there into plains.
May I also suggest that you should add a lot of forrest. Íslendingasögur told us about the country being forrest from coast to mountain. (Landið var skógi vaxið frá fjöru til fjalls)

Yup, and that's all I've got for you! :)

Hey Icelanders.

Kvað saer goð.

Oster pilser með rykear salade.

Don't mind my spelling, I am American :)

I just dont get to type anything in Icelandic often enough.
Tigre og Viking Bjor, mer goð.

By the way...Any of you want to be my Icelanic Penpal..or know where I could find one. I would like to practice more.

PraetorianSteve said:
Make sure if you make a Danish map that the only hill on it is the Himmelbjerget! :)

Høp Høp Høp... might be that we don't have the most ressourceful landscape in the world but it was enough to opress yours for nearly a 1000 years ;)

and yes! Iceland is still a Danish colony, it is cowardly to brake loose when we are occupied :sad:

SkippyT said:
Island er helt ikke en dansk koloni! :D
Iceland is independent :p

No offense, but Iceland is originally a Norwegian colony, settled by original Norwegians. It did come under danish rule when Denmark occupied Norway, and stayed that way for centuries. However, the language (original Norwegian, before influenced by Danish) has remained almost completely unchanged since the days of its settlement.

Ah, wish that we were in union again. The good old days. :cry:

The Royalist said:
it is cowardly to brake loose when we are occupied :sad:

When the Danish surrendered - without a fight to the German invasion in 1940, Iceland was very close to getting its independance from Denmark it already had its own legislative goverment and cabinet + a danish :king: and it was only a matter of time [some estimate 10-15yrs] before total independance.
Please refrain from using the word "Cowardly" it is hardly a word Danes can afford to use when describing another country or body of people during WWII.
Iceland had the option of declaring independance from Denmark or... consider the other option; The Kriegsmarine working on the Nort-Atlantic with support from the Luftwaffe ---based in Iceland. Not good for shipping :hammers: :food: to Russia or Britain from the US ... not good for the liberation of Denmark. :shake:

Zoinker said:
Nice map, though I found the civs rather strange. Would love to see a mod based on Sturlungasaga using this map (á-la Sturlungaspilið).
Don´t know what you find so strange about the civs, they´re all genuine Icelandic ´tribes´. :mischief: The leader names are carefully selected from ppl I know personally from each ´tribe´ with the exception of King David of Reykjavík, Valur of Árnes, Skapti og Skafti of Skaftafell and someone one more whose name and tribe I cannot recall. - Borgarfjordur probably.
It is of course "planned" to mod the map into either Landnámu [Colonization of Iceland saga] or Sturlungasaga [The Butching Saga :lol:] or Landnáma to Sturlungasaga etc. - but then again I´ve been planning that since my first Icelandic map in Civ II.
Perhaps I´ll find myself the time to do just that ... before Ci-V.
Thanks for the input Zoinker.

SkippyT said:
But ideas about the map itself, Baldrek.
I think Suðurland (Skeiðársandur in particular) shouldn't be desert - I think a tundra with floodplains would be a good idea.
And about Reykjanes. I think that you should change a lot of the tundra there into plains.
May I also suggest that you should add a lot of forrest. Íslendingasögur told us about the country being forrest from coast to mountain. (Landið var skógi vaxið frá fjöru til fjalls)

Yup, and that's all I've got for you! :)

Thanks SkippyT

The tundra developed during the making of the map from being ´tundra´ to being ´hraun´ - which is why it is the main terrain in the Reykjanes - which makes the desert the only option for the sands of Skeiðará. But perhaps the resources in these territories can be upped to compensate for the barren terrain they are given. I will look into this Skippy. About the forests - This map is a modern map of Iceland which explains why there are no forests - but I will probably change that in the final version to ´Forested from coast to mountain´. ;)

Top Bottom