Icelandic Civ

john0452

Chieftain
I know there was some interest shown in an Icelandic Civilization so here you go:

Iceland Civ

Readme:

Iceland Civ 4 Mod v0.10 by john0452 (compatable with patch 1.52)

Features:

Icelandic Civ - Start with Fishing and Sailing
Leader 1 - Ingólfur Arnarson (Aggressive/Expansive)
Leader 2 - Hannes Hafstein (Phiosophical/Organized)
Unique Wonder - The Sagas - Same as National Epic but available any age with literature tech
Unique Unit - Knarr - Icelandic Galley - Can travel in ocean squares
Unique Unit - Viking - Icelandic Axeman - Amphibious assault and +10% city attack

Installation:

1) Copy the entire mod folder(...\Iceland) into "Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Mods\" folder.
2) Load the game. Remember to hold down the [SHIFT] key during start up to clear the cache the first time you use this mod or any new mod.
3) Go to the Advanced Menu.
4) Choose Load a Mod.
5) Select Iceland.
6) Let the game restart when prompted.
7) Then play as normal. For MP all players in game must have this mod installed and active.

Screenshots:

Please let me know what you think doesn't work.

I don't know much about Iceland so I may have got some things wrong, please feel free to correct me.

* btw interesting country, I must visit one day. :D

** I know that the units haven't been skinned yet but I wasn't sure if they were suitable, once there is a concensus on what to include I will do some skinning. More pics would be appreciated too.

(Overpowered)

Sweet. Always loved the Icelanders. I will try this immediately. ^^
Overpowered a little I think but it is fun to play.

I think the UU should be Björk, who kills her opponents with her incessant, atmospheric caterwauling ... I say this as a Björk fan, you realise :king:

@ Shablul

:lol: Now that would be a dangerous unit !!!

@ Shqype & Thormodr

I understand that your opinion is that this Civ is 'overpowered' :confused:

A little more detail might help, do you mean the Civ as a whole, the UW or the UU's ?

Please feel free to add a little more detail to you're posts if you think it would improve the Iceland Civ. :p

I will remove or nerf the 'Viking' UU if you think it would help but the Knarr should stay IMHO.

Giving the Icelanders sailing as a free starting tech is a pretty big advantage. Perhaps give them hunting or something instead and if possible give them a 50% discount on researching Sailing if you can do that.
The Knarr is fine and historically accurate I think. The Viking unit maybe should lose it's city attack bonus and maybe gain a 20% extra pillage income bonus or something. Just some ideas. They are fun to play anyway. Good work. :goodjob:

john0452 said:
@ Shablul

:lol: Now that would be a dangerous unit !!!

@ Shqype & Thormodr

I understand that your opinion is that this Civ is 'overpowered' :confused:

A little more detail might help, do you mean the Civ as a whole, the UW or the UU's ?

Please feel free to add a little more detail to you're posts if you think it would improve the Iceland Civ. :p

I will remove or nerf the 'Viking' UU if you think it would help but the Knarr should stay IMHO.
Many people are against any civs having two UU's. I wanted to do it myself, but had to show restraint.

The wonder might be seen as excessive, as well. Justified? Perhaps. I don't like to pass judgment.

1 UU = boring. 2 UU = Possibly unique civilizations. I could be wrong though. I think every civilization could have 2 unique units, and a unique wonder related thing. They certainly have no excuse not to have 2 leaders for every civilization.
Maybe Firaxis is waiting for an expansion to do all this and played it safe with their initial release. Or maybe they didn't have enough time. :crazyeye:

Goodness gracious, you'd think we were discussing current events or American foreign (and domestic) policy. It's a game! A GAME!!!!! :)

I like the UUs and it's great fun to play! And I like the Sagas wonder too. It's fun to be the creater of a saga!

You rock! :king:

Now about that Björk UU...

Bjork UU. ^^ Only if you have the Sugar resource I think. Ahhh....Bjork and the Sugar Cubes. :p Gotta love Iceland ;)

Blame Richard Wagner.
You mean "Rikard Vagner" :p

The Unique Wonder is cool, but it should require a library as well to make it fair with the normal National Epics:
Cost: 250 (Double Speed w/ Marble)
Culture: 4
Great People Points: 1
Requires: Literature, Library.

Regarding the 2 starting technologies, every other civ in the game has 2 of the 6 first tier technologies. To start Iceland off with a second-tier technology (which costs substantially more) than all other 1st tier technologies starts them off with an advantage. Thormodr's suggestion about giving them hunting instead (or even 50 out of 100 of the cost for sailing) will help to balance out this aspect.

Secondly, being as no civilization has 2 UUs, allowing Iceland to have 2 UUs also gives them an unfair advantage.

The Icelandic Galley itself is overpowered because it can traverse ocean squares. That's not supposed to happen until a later technology with more improved units. Not only would this give Iceland abilities available to no one else (such as settling continents separated by Oceans), but it would also ensure that they were the first to circumnavigate the globe and thus always recieve a +1 movement bonus for all their ships.

I prefer the Viking as a UU and feel it is more balanced.

eeh, Yeah... he just made the civ as complete as possible.
Nobody HAS to use all it's elements. But anyone CAN, since they are there.

-Good show, i say!

Oh, by the way "Viking" actually means "traveller". ...not necesarily a "raider" as they were (for obvious reasons) seen by the english.
Raiders were mostly danes and some norweigans, while wouldbe swedes mostly traded/fought eastwards where some settled as the Rus (hence; Russia) and others, as you wrote, worked in konstantinople.

Icelandians and greenlandians managed to resist cristianity beeing forced upon the rest of Scandinavia the longest, and keep in touch with their cultural identity and their way of life. Greenland didn't last, but iceland did... and even managed to preserve much of their (our?) heritage until present day.

What about giving Icelandic horse units extra movement over tundra?

Hey. Im from Iceland, I've few sugestions for the next version of my loved country

First of all I want to thank you for doing this, we were indeed an "empire";)

Leader 1 - Ingólfur Arnarson (Aggressive/Expansive)
-------------------
You have the name right here, but in the screen shots it's "Ingólfuyr" or "Ingófr"(haven't installed the mod yet so maby you already fixed it)

Leader 2 - Hannes Hafstein (Phiosophical/Organized)
-------------------
Well, We don't look at him as any leader, I would replace him with "Jón Sigurðson"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jón_Sigurðsson

Unique Wonder - The Sagas - Same as National Epic but available any age with literature tech
--------------------
I don't get the building, indeed we still speak and read the same language as we spoke and wrote 1000 years ago, but I would replace it with "Alþingi" (Althing), it more Icelandic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althing

But now I-m going to play the game with my civ so maby i'll point out some more.
I just hope this helps you make Iceland even grater Empire.

And agin, thank YOU!

Halló!

I am from Iceland and I just wanted to critik your work.
First off, I love it!! AS soon as I downloaded and installed Civilization 4 I searched for Iceland, and love it! Good job!

I agree, Jón Sigurðsón should be the next leader of Iceland, because he was the founder of the Republic of Iceland in 1944 from those crazy Danes :lol:

Also, a unique wonder should be Hallgrimskirkja, because you can see that from anywhere in the greater Reykjavík region.

The viking is a nice unit, but you should make him more modernized too, because of the Viking squad in modern times, (which there were some in Iraq). This is the only real armed forces Iceland has today, the next closest thing in the Landhelgisgæslan - Coast Guard.

Well , otherwise, great work!! Hope to see these updates! Contact me on
jmi62m@hotmail.com on MSN or AIM at IceFaxi if you want my help on information and recourses making Iceland civ as realistic as possible!!

Kveyðja,
Jarrétt Þór

Top Bottom