Icon and Screen Pixel Dimension Reference

FramedArchitect

Reluctant Modder
A while back I consolidated all the pixel dimensions for the various icons and screens I regularly change, and I thought this might be of some use.

//attached Excel WB

Attachments

• ScreenDimensions.jpg
    ScreenDimensions.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • IconDimensions.jpg
    IconDimensions.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 2,518
  • Icon Size Reference.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 656
Excellent. The only edit is you should note Wonders do use x80 (for the wonder is built notification), even if regular buildings don't use x80.

Excellent. The only edit is you should note Wonders do use x80 (for the wonder is built notification), even if regular buildings don't use x80.
Ahh thanks for that.... it's been ages since I made an atlas just for buildings, so I had forgotten that (And gotten lucky in my own mods!).

By city bar icons do you mean alphas of civ icons? Or does civ icon also include the alphas?
hi Craig, I meant the City Banner Civ icon, which is usually an alpha of the Civ icon. That was my very unclear shorthand! (you can create Color City banner Icons by adding on the RGB layers, but you'd still only need a 32 icon).

Awesome, much appreciated!

Brave New World requires some extra icon sizes. The alpha version of the civ icon is now used not only in the city bar but also at various places in the culture, religion and world congress overviews. After some testing I've found that the extra sizes needed are 64, 48 and 24.

Brave New World requires some extra icon sizes. The alpha version of the civ icon is now used not only in the city bar but also at various places in the culture, religion and world congress overviews. After some testing I've found that the extra sizes needed are 64, 48 and 24.

Thanks for the heads up Harald. I may update the attachment if I update my own working copy in the future.

I think it's worth noting that the map needs to be made at a bigger size than 360 x 412, since you need it for the Dawn of Man image too
I agree that working with bigger files and then reducing them down for the in-game is a good method. But in this chart I was simply listing the actual dimensions required by a screen.
What does "MipMap" mean?
This is a save option under .dds exporter that auto-generates smaller textures of an image for use when zooming in and out (as with strategic view icons).

Do you happen to have the "porthole" size associated with each icon size?

For example, while a 256 icon sits in a square box 256x256 pixels, the actual size of the circular icon is 176 pixels in diameter

Edit: This is the list I've managed to work out (by measuring the size of the holes in the standard Firaxis templates and by extrapolating)

Code:
256 --> 176
214 --> 144
128 --> 88
80 --> 52
64 --> 44
48 --> 33
45 --> 31
32 --> 22
24 --> 17
22 --> 22 (This icon is always square)
16 --> 11

And on a related topic. Are there preferred compression formats (DXT1/BC1, DXT3/BC2, DXT5/BC3, RGBA8) for the various images (DoM, LeaderHead, etc - not the icons) or does it solely depend on the alpha gradients/transitions (see table here)

Top Bottom