1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd like advice on Great Generals

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by RJM, Apr 5, 2014.

1. RJM

RJM Prince

I usually play as a peaceful builder, at Emperor level. In my current game, as a result of fighting rather badly organised attacks from the AI, I produced three Great Generals. I used one as a warlord (to get a free upgrade of a warrior to infantry) and settled the other two.

What is the community wisdom on the best way of using Great Generals?

2. dohh

dohh Warlord

Probably the best use is to produce great medic.
    Settling is good too in some cases especially when running rep...

3. Kallikrates

Kallikrates Prince

I usually use one for a great medic and settle the rest. If doing a lot of warring and mostly running civics that give extra XP I might get another great medic. But in a mostly peaceful game you will not get so many anyway and with settled GGs in the Heroic Epic city you can let this city produce most of the units you will need, so you can run civics better for science.

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Medics, settle. Getting level 3-4 units from your HE city can be huge. Even better on Cha leaders.

5. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

One medicIII with 26XP to also unlock the military NW.

Just in high wargames a 2nd one.

Settle all others in the military city.

6. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I tend to attach my first two Great Generals to the most experienced units that will eventually upgrade to Mech Infantry. That gives me two General-led stacks. I settle the rest, using one to construct the Military Academy in my primary production city.

I make sure my Generals get combat bonuses first, going with Leadership and Tactics when I attach the General. I'm using Spearmen with Medic II promotions to aid with healing for the time being. I intend to get my Generals through all of the City Raider, Combat and Woodsman promotions before turning them into medics themselves. I'm playing as Boudica (AGG/CHA) at the moment, so promotions are coming thick and fast.

7. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

If going to war at macemen I attach them for the CR and combat promos. Then rush grenadiers to upgrade them. My most enjoyable couple of games were CR3 macemen upgraded to grenadiers. Just get attacked and farm XP while researching until you get grenadiers.

8. Iwo Jima

Iwo Jima Warlord

Sometime it could be not a land unit, but ship. +2 move for your galleys could be very useful for some maps.

Or mega-upgraded privateer ship, that can fight during peace time.

9. Mizar

Mizar IM

This.
    The first usually gets a super medic that heals the main offensive stack fast in enemy territory.
    Depending on CHA or not and on how many I get, the rest get settled the following way:
    first get the HE city to produce level-4 units (3 promotions) at 8 or 10 XP.
    Then usually if not CHA get the second military city to 10XP (with rax/Vas. or Theo/Pentagon it only takes 2) or if CHA get the HE city to 13XP for level 5 units (4 promotions, takes 3) and then the second one to 8XP.

10. MegaLurker

MegaLurker King

It can speed up your win date quite a bit to have 2 supermedics if youve reached a point where conquest is assured and it's only a matter of logistics.

11. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

Medic 3 on a scout. Then Medic 3 again on another scout with the 2nd GG.

Why a scout? So the Good doctor doesn't get the silly idea that he wants to pick up a gun and defend.

The best wars are fast wars. You don't want to be waiting 5-8 tuns to heal you Stack of Doom.

12. RJM

RJM Prince

Thanks guys - lots of useful stuff here.

13. shpeka

shpeka Warlord

After Military Science is obtained - building Military Academies is usually the most effective choice.

14. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

Wouldn't something that can attack be better, to finish off the last redlined defender at 99.7% odds? Melee is best, because it can get the Woodsman promotions for a Woodsman III/Medic III super-healer. I settle most of my GGs, but use one or two for medics.

15. dohh

dohh Warlord

Sorry, that is not a very good advice. Why to limit You general to level 3 medic? Chariot --> HA --> cuir is at least as safe option. General may have various different useful treats. Being medic... You could also gain +1 vision or + 1 movement etc. Plus, there are numerous situations where You need ANY extra attack from Your stack.

16. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

Mounted units can't get woodsman promotions, so they can't become medic III/woodsman III super-medics, and against the Khmer you'd need stronger mounted units to stop their elephants killing your medics.

17. Packers5280

Packers5280 Deity

Both are valid options. It just depends on what types of units that are in your stack. Going with HA/curs, a two MP unit such as a chariot/HA/cur is the best option. Otherwise you would need to wait a bit for your medic to get the movement promo. If your stack is only 1 MP, then a melee works fine.

18. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Depends on whether you're willing to risk losing your super medic on offense dozens of times (along with the possibility of losing it on defense if it's a unit that ever has a shot of defending when the enemy stack attacks). If you don't already have a backup, you're risking a rather significant resource.

I've never actually gotten enough experience from fighting to get that many promotions.

19. Kallikrates

Kallikrates Prince

I don't think I have ever faced ballista elephants and even when they would usually attack the stronger mounted units, wouldn't they? So your mounted supermedic will only have combat I whereas usually there will be a few other mounted with at least combat II. In any case one can keep the mounted supermedic one or two levels "lower", e.g. HA among cuirs, so he will only defend/be attacked when your whole stack is routed (and then the loss of the medic is not your worst problem...)

20. pepe26

pepe26 Lacrosse Enthusiast

you pretty much never want to use your GGs on attacking units as they tend to be defending units as well. the stronger a unit gets the more like it is to defend against attacks in the stack. 99% of the time, you don't want a healer to be in a fight (you only use them when for attacking when you have close to 100% odds and will not end up vulnarable and/or alone in the tile they attack)