I'd Love To Try This Modmod...Need Some Suggestions!

manooly

Warlord
Let's say that PC specs are not an issue and I have a monster of a rig (I just recently built a nice new machine). What would be the ideal options to setup for a good RoM: New Dawn game? I'm looking to start a long drawn out game with this mod. It will be my first time trying it. I like maps that are somewhat close to earthlike, but not actually earth...hah. I love the randomness of a good mapscript. So please let me know about how many civs to start with, what size and type of map, etc... will make for a good game using this great looking modmod!

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

just go with recommended install except with a theme change (GUI skin)

If it's your first time, I recommend staying clear away from the Ruthless AI option. Other than that, go with the default, making sure that Revolutions, Barbarian Civs and Flexible Difficulty are selected. The latter scales game difficulty to how good you are performing, thus letting the AI catch up with you easier if you pull ahead, and vice versa.

archipelago maps with continental setting, low sea levels and rocky landscape giant-sized are my favorite. though perfect world creates very nice maps too. i re recommend using barbarian world.

but you want a long game? a very long? snail setting is the choice for you (do not forget to include early buildings component during install for this purpose) and use an advanced start with moderate starting points. but the big problem is how to make a long long game interesting all the time with an AI that stays competitive all the time - and is an art for itself. as long as you are not that type of player who can beat vanilla BtS on deity there is good hope for you: first thing is use flexible difficulty. if you consider yourself a good player don't use the many additional building modules (they are not balanced enough). start at king-emperor difficulty. if you are used to dominate civ games after a certain age i recommend to make 2 2-civ teams (e.g. team America: Washington + Lincoln) that will be you rivals for the later game stage. the count of other civs you can let at the default number for your map size (barbarians will create some additional civs later on).

ah, yes. and when you play this mod for the first time i advise you to turn revolutions off because it requires some changes in the strategy and might ruin your game if you've not much experience with this mod (revolutions harshly punish early over-expansion).

That's a very sensible idea. I first tried out AND with all the options and have been gradually cutting back ever since :)

I recommend everything! Try out them all and see what you like (or don't like). If you don't like a feature you can always install it without that feature next time.

true. but if someone is looking to start a long game it's really annoying to find out that some things don't work well because it makes the game too easy. the point is that if you use everything you quite likely and up like this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362381

truth is that some building packs are not balanced enough for a long game.

thus it is generally advisable to make some short testing runs with every option on which one has no great pain to abort. and afterwards start a long game with the options one likes.

btw no matter how beefy your rig you WILL get slowdowns in the modern era and later (unless you play small maps :) ), I know from experience

For the mapscript, my favorite is Hemispheres with varied continents. It always gives you a large continent (non-blocky) with the possibility of an isthmus with a smaller continent on the other side. Also check regular islands, you'll get a third land mass roughly the size of Australia.

Top Bottom