Idea: CIV Fanatics Competion (CFC)

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Bangau, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Bangau

Bangau Prince

Hi all, (and the forum moderators in particular,)

I've been thinking about a fun idea I have.

For me, and I think many others, large part of the fun of Civ is trying different ways to approach the game and keep improving my 'civ-skills' every time I play. I love reading these forums where others tell about how they play the game and watching video's of people playing civ, every time seeing new and fresh ways to enjoy civ. I've tried a few Game's of the Month as well, and really like how you can compare your approach to the one others took. (sorry, did not yet post my results...) I like how GOTM gives a bit of a competitive feeling, but in your own pace.

This made me think...

...wouldn't it be cool to have a 'CIV Fanatics Competition' section of the forum where anything could propose a new competition? Obvious categories being:
    • Fastest deity cultural victory
    • Fastest deity domination victory
    • Fastest... etc.
    But anyone can start a new thread and give their specific goals to compete for, e.g.:
    • Highest score ever
    • Fastest peaceful domination on a huge map
    • Domination without melee units
    • No theatre square cultural victory (like PotatoMcWhiskey did)
    • One City Challenge with Indonesia
    Anything one can come up with could be a new category to compete in.Most probably there will be a few that many people would like to join in (you might want to 'pin' those to the top), and the more obscure ones might not draw a crowd directly, but that's ok. If even one other fan tried a new and fun way to play the game, that's a win! :)

You'd have to think about things like:
    - if and how to keep score (maybe the original poster can keep track and edit the first post to keep score of the top 3 [or 5 or 10])
    - how to prevent cheating (not that you can entirely, but posting saves of start and finish might help)
    - how to properly describe the competition (e.g.: if you say 'compete for the fastest domination victory', one could play on settler settings against one opponent and crush the AI on turn 40, so you should specify if that's what you want or that you were thinking about immortal difficulty and 6 players and a small map).

Really curious to hear what all of you think about my idea.I'd love to see it implemented and start a few friendly competitions with all of you. :)

2. Bangau

Bangau Prince

I see I typed 'competition' wrong in the thread name. Any way to change that?

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I would actually be more interested in a creative contest where people with the most popular civ ideas get rewards ranging from Steam games to history books.

But it certainly would be fun to see a thread compiling links to discussions or strategy for strange achievements like a cultural victory with no theater squares (Potato MacWhisky). But is it just me or have many of the original Civ YouTube gamers moved on? The Solar Gamer is no longer active in Civ from what I recall, and his last video post appears to have been three months ago.

4. Bangau

Bangau Prince

You could have a competition on creative or historically accurate ways to play the game. Maybe something like: 'most wonders by the correct civ' (bonus points for the correct city).