1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea - Custum Difficulty Level

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by remake20, Mar 19, 2010.

1. remake20

remake20 :)

This may need to be moved, sorry if it should.

Okay, here's my idea. Some people with ciV might want to play with the opponent playing to win, but don't want a unstoppable AI opponent, that's where I got this idea. So you could change things, like how the AI looks at the world (how to win, local scale ect), the AI tech rate, expansion, bonuses (like how easier CIV difficulty gave you extra happiness and health), and other things. I would love this idea, because I want to have the AI to look at how they will win, but not destroy me in the first 10 turns ;). Anyone like it?

2. Herrhals

Herrhals Warlord

not quite sure I follow. so I'll say no. Preset difficulties are fine, do what you can at your level. If it's easy, move up, if its too hard, move down in difficulties.

3. Earthling

Earthling Deity

I highly doubt there is going to be an option to easily customize AI behavior. For one, I don't realistically expect the AI to really be able to play to win well; it'll likely be just the typical more bonuses and one generic steamroll strategy almost all AI follow. If the AI is really good, then Firaxis of course blow me and the rest of us off of our feet. But I simply don't realistically expect there will be a way to customize the AI "smarter" as you go up in difficulty and won't be disappointed if it doesn't exist. (Note - artificially making the AI really stupid at some low level difficulty or something doesn't count to say the AI just gets smarter.)

However I couldn't see a reason it would be bad to have some other bonuses/settings adjustable - really you already can customize a ton of things regarding gamespeed/tech and unit costs, maps and barbarians, etc...

4. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I prefer an difficulty system where the AI always plays to the best of its ability, and has stat boosters/penalties, rather than one where they deliberately make the AI dumb.

5. The Cosmic Kid

The Cosmic Kid Warlord

Why?

You are quite literally the first person I've ever heard talking about AI difficulty who hasn't expressed annoyance that AIs often "cheat". This even goes for cheating in the player's favor. When a player new to the game of chess loads a chess program, he doesn't want to start off against Deep Blue with no back-rank pieces; he wants an opponent who's genuinely on his level.

I encountered a game a while back - I can't remember what - that had two independent difficulty sliders: one for AI brains and another for its handicap. This struck me as an elegant and obvious solution to the problem, and I'm frankly surprised I haven't seen it more often.

6. Gre_Magus

Gre_Magus Manet

With just a little xml work, you should be able to alter a lot of the parameters for the difficulty levels in Civ 5 - you certainly can in Civ 4. But as far as I know, in Civ 4 the AI uses all of its "smarts" at all levels, except maybe for the really low ones. The different levels of challenge are provided by "cheating" bonuses and handicaps. This may be different in Civ 5, especially if the AI is good enough to provide a decent challenge without bonuses.

7. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

Because AI for games like Civ4 are not "deep blue". They are incompetent at the game. Like, extremely incompetent.

I guess you could say that someone who just started playing Civ4 is also incompetent. To emulate this, the AI could make random stupid mistakes -- but it takes a lot of effort to generate "artificial stupidity" -- making an AI that is stupid like a human is is hard.

Making an AI that is as good as it can be (and nevermind stupidity) is also hard, but at least it benefits every player. And you can emulate stupidity by simply having AIs that are crippled pretty well.

Even in civ4, the AI doesn't only cheat with handicaps, it cheats in other ways. Because it is too hard to make the AI smart enough not to cheat.

8. The Cosmic Kid

The Cosmic Kid Warlord

This is true; I certainly didn't mean to imply that the Civ4 AI didn't need to cheat to be a challenge. But let's wait to see how good the Civ5 AI can get before we start saying that we'd rather have the computer cheat than play stupid. I'm not really expecting anything like Deep Blue, but hope does spring eternal...

9. Erufailon

Erufailon Chieftain

This is actually a pretty good idea, although I picture something more like an expanded version of the previous game settings. Like how advanced the barbarians should be allowed to get, how aggressive the AI should be (in addition to the pre-set value for each civ of course) etc.

10. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Because, as Yakk says, it is not possible for a commercial product to produce an AI that can challenge me when it plays on a level playing field. They should make the AI as good as they can, but that still won't be enough to actually make it good.

If I want a lower difficulty level, I should still know that the AI is going to behave intelligently; I'd rather than an easier time because the AI had fewer spearmen than because it was too dumb to use its spearmen properly.

For a low difficulty level, I'd rather play against an AI that got fewer beakers but still researched the best things, rather than one that was artificially forced to make stupid tech choices.

I'd rather play against an AI that built settlers more slowly than one that wouldn't expand even when there were great city sites available to it.

Don't think of it in terms of frustration with the AI cheating; recognize that you make the AI as good as possible, and then to get higher difficulty to have to give it bonuses, and to give it lower difficulty its better to give it penalties than to somehow weaken its decision-making process.

This and many, many other AI preference characteristics are modable in Civ4. Leaderheadinfos has over 100 AI parameters.

11. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

A slider for how much the AI cheats would be nice. You know, one for build time, one for the amount of resources they need to build units, one for how long how long research takes and so on. Seriously, it would be fun if you could do that for every opponent(including yourself) individually.