[Idea] Dynamic wonder names!

nody

Emperor
Idea for more flavour:

If wonders are built in another civ than the historical one it should be a different name according to the language of that civ.

For example:

'Notre Dame' in England should be called 'Our Lady'
'Statue of Liberty' in France should be: 'La Statue de Liberté'
'The Pentagon' in the Netherlands should/could be called: 'De Vijfhoek'
'Graceland' in Germany should be called: 'Anmutland'
'Sistine Chapel' in Portugal: 'Capela Sistina'

With some wonders you would have to be creative, but there are enough creative people here.
Also, I'm no modder, but should anyone would make this a modmod I would gladly help. Would be even better if Rhye would include such a feature in his next version. :goodjob:

Anyone with me?

Idea for more flavour:

If wonders are built in another civ than the historical one it should be a different name according to the language of that civ.

For example:

'Notre Dame' in England should be called 'Our Lady'
'Statue of Liberty' in France should be: 'La Statue de Liberté'
'The Pentagon' in the Netherlands should/could be called: 'De Vijfhoek'
'Graceland' in Germany should be called: 'Anmutland'
'Sistine Chapel' in Portugal: 'Capela Sistina'

With some wonders you would have to be creative, but there are enough creative people here.
Also, I'm no modder, but should anyone would make this a modmod I would gladly help. Would be even better if Rhye would include such a feature in his next version. :goodjob:

Anyone with me?

The names of wonders are not allways changed in a different language. For instance, the Dutch (I am one) call the Pentagon the "Pentagon" instead of "De Vijfhoek". In AFAIK the Brittains don't call Notre Dame "Our lady". Otherwise it already had that name. (the game language is English)

I'm also Dutch, but if the Pentagon was built in the Netherlands, it would have been given a Dutch name, and 'we' call a pentagon: een vijfhoek.
Such a name would give the building a more Dutch 'feel' is my opinion.
Statue of Liberty would never been called that if it was in Amsterdam FE, it would be called 'Het Vrijheidsbeeld' like 'we' call it also IRL.

Same as an English 'Notre Dame': If such a building was build in London it would have never been called 'Notre Dame' but rather (Church of) 'Our Lady'.

We don't name Churches like that though. They're almost always by location (Wells Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, etc).

I'm also Dutch, but if the Pentagon was built in the Netherlands, it would have been given a Dutch name, and 'we' call a pentagon: een vijfhoek.
Such a name would give the building a more Dutch 'feel' is my opinion.
Statue of Liberty would never been called that if it was in Amsterdam FE, it would be called 'Het Vrijheidsbeeld' like 'we' call it also IRL.

Same as an English 'Notre Dame': If such a building was build in London it would have never been called 'Notre Dame' but rather (Church of) 'Our Lady'.

I know we call the shape a "vijfhoek", but the building is called the "Pentagon". I absolutely don't get more a Dutch feeling when it's called "de Vijfhoek". Then I think someone tried to sound Dutch, but field completely. But you are right about "het Vrijheidbeeld". I just want to say not all wonders need a name change.

I know we call the shape a "vijfhoek", but the building is called the "Pentagon". I absolutely don't get more a Dutch feeling when it's called "de Vijfhoek". Then I think someone tried to sound Dutch, but field completely. But you are right about "het Vrijheidbeeld". I just want to say not all wonders need a name change.

Of course they do. The Pentagon wouldn't be called Pentagon in Dutch. You call it Pentagon because it is NOT Dutch, it's American. This is about alternate history, not about geographical names translation.

We don't name Churches like that though. They're almost always by location (Wells Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, etc).

What about St. Mary's Cathedral ?

Of course they do. The Pentagon wouldn't be called Pentagon in Dutch. You call it Pentagon because it is NOT Dutch, it's American. This is about alternate history, not about geographical names translation.

That is true, but some wonder have an other name like nody said. The Statue of Liberty is named "Het Vrijheidsbeeld" in Dutch. But most wonders remain their name.

I don't know, but I can't get Paul Simon's "Ich gehe nach Anmutland, Anmutland" out of my head :p

Seriously: I don't think it makes sense for most world wonders. But it would be a nice flavor if national wonders would get civ-specific names, so that instead of the generic Summer Palace we'd have:

France - Versailles
England - Buckingham Palace
Germany - Sanssouci
Spain - El Escorial and so on.

@Merijn
The point of this thread is exactly to find and make up those names I believe. If it was a mere literal translation issue it would be extremely easy.

I said almost.

Uhm I meant, what about naming Notre Dame as St Mary's Cathedral if it was built (or even conquered?) by the English, would it sound ok ?

@Merijn
The point of this thread is exactly to find and make up those names I believe. If it was a mere literal translation issue it would be extremely easy.

Uhm I meant, what about naming Notre Dame as St Mary's Cathedral if it was built (or even conquered?) by the English, would it sound ok ?

The examples in the first post are all (exept anmutland) just literal translations.

What about Rome? Italian or latin names for industrial/modern wonders?

Also would be a nice feature to switch the Roman Civilization to Italy with a new leaderhead (Mussolini? Berlusconi?) when you reach a certain date. With city names changed accordingly.

But that's another topic.

Also a few new names:

Christo Redentor
In England - Christ the Redeemer
In Holland - Christus de Verlosser

Three Gorges Dam
In Holland - Drieklovendam

Channel Tunnel
In Holland - Kanaaltunnel

Hollywood in India - Bollywood! Must be build in Bombay, of course.

I like the idea, but a lot of these will be extremely difficult.

- Broadway, Hollywood and Graceland don't really have equivalents in many (if any) other parts of the world.

In fact, the vast majority of wonders don't really have translations, let alone equivalents ;)

In fact, the vast majority of wonders don't really have translations, let alone equivalents

They do, if you are creative.

Graceland means Land of Grace, that's translatable in almost all languages.

French - (La) Terre de Grâce
German - Land der Anmut or Anmutland
Dutch - Land van Gratie or Gratieland
Norwegian (Viking) - Yndeland?

Broadway - If you make it Broad Way:

French - Façon Large
German - Breiter Weg or Breiterweg
Dutch - Brede Weg or Bredeweg
Norwegian (Viking) - Bred Måte or Bredmåte?

For me, that's the opposite of creative. I'm German, and when I hear "Anmutland" or "Breitweg", it simply comes off as ridiculous. I know that this is what Graceland and Broadway means, but still, if similar "wonders" would have developed in Germany, they'd never have been called "Breitweg" or such.

Going with national equivalents, such as Studio Babelsberg as Germany's Hollywood, would be possible, but also problematic since many civs lack such equivalents.

They do, if you are creative.

Graceland means Land of Grace, that's translatable in almost all languages.

French - (La) Terre de Grâce
German - Land der Anmut or Anmutland
Dutch - Land van Gratie or Gratieland
Norwegian (Viking) - Yndeland?

Broadway - If you make it Broad Way:

French - Façon Large
German - Breiter Weg or Breiterweg
Dutch - Brede Weg or Bredeweg
Norwegian (Viking) - Bred Måte or Bredmåte?

With literal translating you surely won't make them more individual to a civ. If I read "De Brede Weg" I think of an street in a small village. (like Weert for instance) Their is just 1 "real" Broadway, and that is The Broadway, not "de Brede Weg".
If you take the Notre Dame, you don't call it "Onze Dame" in Dutch, that is just a small church in a small Village.

should be mausoleum of maussolus in russian mausoleum of lenin? :lol:
many names such like graceland or even broadway are just untranslatable, for example broadway in the russian translation means nothing.

French - Façon Large
Here's an example - you clearly don't speak French because if you did, there isn't a chance in hell you'd use that to replace Broadway.

Broadway is called Broadway because that is where it is. Graceland is called that because that is what Elvis called his mansion, and so on. Translation not only undermines the originality and creativity that you were striving for, it also makes the names incomprehensible.

That said, I'm all for finding equivalents and using these, BUT:
- The vast majority of wonders don't have equivalents in all other civs

Top Bottom