1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea: Enterprises

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Molybdeus, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

Simply put, these would be recurring wonders you could build multiple times.

Examples:

Crusade
    Requirements: Must be a holy city.
    Effect: Choose one civilization with a rival state religion. All civs with state religion of city declare war on that civilization.

Great Exhibition
    Requirements: Must have a Market, Harbor and Theater.
    Effect: One free trade route in city to capital of each other civ for <X> turns.

Olympiad
    Requirements: Must have a Stadium, Airport and Coliseum in city.
    Effect: No happiness penalties in your civ for <X> turns, ends all wars for <X> turns.

2. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

Ok, sounds fine. I don't mind recurring wonders.
    Except this one, because that would be terribly annoying if I kept getting dragged into a war I didn't want any part of just because some other civ built this wonder. Especially if, since the wonder is of the recurring variety, all my fellow-minded-religion civs each built this just a few turns apart and declared Crusades on 5 other civilizations all at once!!! :eek:

It reminds me of Civ3's protection pact wars that would spawn massive world wars, dragging me into, what I called, the Random Wars.

Perhaps when it was built, if I were offered the choice to join in or get a diplo hit with all the other civs that do join in, that might be ok. But don't make my choices for me based on something some other civ does. :crazyeye:

3. sam44hill

sam44hill Always go for the Kill

Good idea, but how about keeping them small?

Jousting tournament: free promotion for unit garrisoned in host city
    <X> Convention: bonus culture, science, gold, etc in city
    So on and thus forth

Great idea. Civ VI hopeful

4. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Eh, I don't really understand the point. We already have national wonders, which is as recurring as I want wonders to get. Can someone explain the difference between these and either national wonders or normal buildings, other than the power level?

5. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

National Wonders can be built only once by you, recurring wonders can be built multiple times by you. So, say you build the Crusades - go right ahead and build it again to start another crusade!

6. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

That's what I thought, just a normal building with beefed up abilities. Why even bother calling it as wonder?

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

These seem to be more in the nature of special projects, rather than wonders (which usually result in a building). They aren't inter-civ, World Congress collaborative projects (like Worlds Fair) but more like recurring Manhattan and Apollo Projects. Also agree that the goodies from these sorts of projects should be relatively modest and transitory.

However, the Crusade one makes me think of a fun World Congress proposal -- after a World Religion has been voted in, a Crusade proposal would give all civs following that religion (i.e., the World Religion is the majority religion in a majority of their cities) reduced (or eliminated) warmonger penalties for wars against civs that do not have the World Religion in a majority of their cities, so long as the Crusade benefit was limited to, say, 30 or 50 turns after the proposal passes (like the attack bonus from Clausewitz's Legacy is limited to the 50 turns after that Autocracy tenet is adopted).

8. andreafin

andreafin Prince

yes i could enjoy (or begin chewing my computer desk if on the recieving end of) such a world congress proposal, except the world congress doesnt meet all that often. unless you have extra meetings of the world congress where they only vote on temporary measures that expire after less than 10 turns. maybe emergency sessions. i suppose 50 turns is about right for a crusade length, but i am sure there are other things that could only last 5 or 10 turns that expire, and i am not sure it takes 45 turns from proposal to execution of a crusade. i think it would be organised a bit quicker than that.

9. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

It could be changed to be optional. These are just examples; obviously I have not play tested them or anything.

The point is that these would be available multiple times and would require less investment than a normal wonder. You could build two enterprises for a Voyage of Discovery and explore different areas of the map, for example.

Another example would be to create super-units. Like a Dreadnought upgrade to a normal Ironclad or coal powered Cruiser.

They're not really wonders, but wonders are the closest thing they resemble. There would have to be limits on the number of times they could be triggered or active. So, for example, while the effect of the Olympics are active no player could complete building another one.

10. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

Though, it would have to be set per 'enterprise' because some, like the Crusades, could feasibly be built by two different Civs at the same time, just different Holy Wars being launched is all.