1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea for a new Civ: Chinese

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Victorvanwavere, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Victorvanwavere

Victorvanwavere Chieftain

There are a lot of tails/rumors about the Chinese discovering America.

I think it could be cool to add them in and have then start on the West side of the map as suppose to other European civs starting on the East side.

They will then trade with china, hee hee.

2. younflancy

younflancy Chieftain

Soon I will release my New China MOD.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Having only 1 tribe start on the West could be considered unfair. It'd be fun to throw on some of the Russians, Japanese, or Indians into the game as well, to make sure they don't have the whole coast.

Although, really, stuff should be adjusted for them. I'm not sure if coats would sell as well in China. And they should be able to hire boatloads of cheap labour.

4. Melinko

Melinko Reverend

Not a bad idea, I have been kinda thinking the same thing, but a small problem is the 'rebellion' factor. I mean there has been lots of wars in china, but where one group left to a 'new world', and used it to make a culture. If anything they did it for China.

Now given you don't have to follow absolutely follow history, or anything like that, or I might be missing a part (not a historian on the Chinese heh), but that is what I mean about the 'rebellion' factor.

Although the West starting location would not be bad, and they would need a starting bonus like the others have, but... They should not be too different from the rest. Like in Civ4 they have several different races, but despite small differences they keep most the same for consistency:goodjob:.

5. younflancy

younflancy Chieftain

In my mod I have designed Chinese Trait like this, do you guys think it balanced?

Colony Trait: Agricultural
    +1 food on tiles with 2 food or more
    + 25% cotton in all settlements
    + 100% Travel Time to Europe(This is actually Asia. In game, the 100% penalty is implicit, since China starts from the west side of New World, it has to take 100% more time than from the East side, to travel back.)

I guess +1 food on tiles would show china has been a nation based on agriculture for a long time, which would make the colony more easily to generate and support population.
    But this bonus is not very powerful than traits like tolerant, because C4C needs 200 food to have a new Colonist. So I added another little advantage, to make them have 25% more cotton.
    Cotton is less seen in the new world than Tobacco. So more cotton would not cause the production thrive too much.
    So two advantages with a penalty(The travel time means a lot) would be fine for China?

6. Kao'chai

Kao'chai Newbie in Modding

Actually I'm planning to make a whole mod dedicated to asia

Here's my idea

Imperialistic
    +50% Great General emergance
    -25% native land purchase

Other than Zheng He , who would make an authentic leader

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I'm really apprehensive about setting up multiple bonuses and penalties, though. I'd rather just see the travel times flipped and the Chinese start on the West side of the map (so sailing off the west takes half the time as sailing off the East). Then, I'd just mess around with the food bonus.

Perhaps give +2 or +3 food in the city tile? A sort of automatic food bonus like the Agricultural trait in C3C might be worth consideration.

8. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Chieftain

How about Ma Huan?

Zheng He:
    Imperialistic, Seafaring (+3 movement for ships)

Ma Huan:
    Imperialistic, Meticulous (Relations with King are better)

9. Kao'chai

You know we had the same idea with zheng he . BTW , CIty List How about Taiwan, Hong Kong Cities

10. younflancy

younflancy Chieftain

Should be Zhang Juzheng.
    Trait: Organized
    -25% tools needed for construction
    -50% tools needed for pioneers

11. younflancy

younflancy Chieftain

Yes, I have been hesitating for long. Too many adv. and disadv. together would make the trait messy. Maybe just add food is OK.
    And in the current game, I have already modified the map script to make china start from the west. Maybe I'll check the XMLs to find where to modify the travel time from west side back to Europe.

12. Kao'chai

^Wow I can see all the competition , Ok I'll check these leaders , but I want Zheng he because he's much more requested .

BTW , Good Luck with your verison

13. younflancy

younflancy Chieftain

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

It would have been great if they hard-coded the travel time and starting region for each colonizer into the XML for that country, so you could just switch two tags and make it work.

Or, is that how you did it? I haven't opened up all the Colonization XMLs yet.

15. Huayna Capac357

I know I had the same idea. I was building on it w/ Ma Huan.

Zheng He = red-cloaked reskin of Tang Taizong w/o moustache?

16. Kao'chai

Actualy I'm basing it with this one:

The Old Taizong(Wang Kon w/kublai's hat) would do

17. Huayna Capac357

Well, sans moutache and w/ Taizong's hat maybe. Also needs a little skinning. Ekmek could probably do it :)