idea for a rework on the trade system.

Ciarson

Chieftain
first thing i noticed was that civ 5 and civ 6 traders have the same range. (15 tiles on land and 30 on sea).

for civ 5 it was ok because trade was between two cities and they didnt used another city as relay. in addition there was building that incrase those value by 50%
in civ 6 with the relay system such an absurdly big range is not needed.

what i would propose is to reduce the trading range to 8 on land and 8 on sea but giving bonus that would increase those values depending on the cities. (as the shortest efficient distance between cities is 6 tiles and assuming small obstacle on the way, 8 tile seemed to me as a good range.)

land trade:

land trade range would be limited to 8 tiles but you can trade with cities that are farther with the relay system.

the commercial hub and all of it's building would give a +1 relay capacity.

in addition to the commercial hub, another district could exist to benefit trade, the rail yard.
the rail yard would give two major bonus:
- trade range for that city would be of 16 tiles of both cities got a rail yard.
- rail yards that are linked together would benefit from an "airlift"-like ability. (pillaging the train track would block that ability. making it weaker than the late game airlift due to the fact that it would have shorter range and could be blocked.)

naval trade:

a coastal city would have a naval trade range of only 8. enough to trade with nearby cities.

however, the harbor and all it's building would increase that range by 8 tile for the district and all it's building, making a fully developped harbor increase naval trade range to 32 (+8 if the city is coastal).

NB: such high range combined with the relay capacity bonus from the commercial hub would make naval trade excellent for long range trade. making protection of such long trade routes matter more, especially if the sea trade route give out more than land trade route (like in civ 5)

Last edited:
Top Bottom