1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea for Israel

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Phail, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Phail

Phail Chieftain

I had an idea earlier and thought I would share it to get everyone's opinion on it. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to programming and all that stuff, so I have no idea if this is even possible.

Have Israel become "born" in 1900, but give them no units, cities or anything else, almost as if they were not in the game. Whenever the first world congress occurs in the 20th century, there is an option to assign Israel, still currently having no units, the city of Jerusalem. If the it receives enough votes, Israel gains control of the city and is given starting units. Perhaps the two civs are at war no matter what? Also, it think it would be appropriate to leave Israel of the list of playable civs in the scenario, but have an option to switch to it, similar to Iran.

Thoughts?

2. Mef

Mef Chieftain

What positives would it add to the playing experience?

3. alpav

alpav Prince

This was already discussed and the conclusion was that it doesn't fit the timespan of the mod.

4. Phail

Phail Chieftain

Add more conflict to the middle east in the very late game, to make it more historical.

This was something I was concerned with but I feel that if implemented correctly, all it would do would cause wars and problems in the middle east in the late game, which is essentially its intention. I don't think it should be intended to be a fully playable civilization even thought the option is nice in certain circumstances. It could be an independent or even be barbarian, though I don't feel that is as appropriate or effective.

5. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

There's not even a Jewish religion in this modmod. Why add Israel?

6. Swarbs

Swarbs Emperor

But who would those wars actually affect? All the Middle Eastern civs would have won their UHVs by then, and could easily have won domination victories if they were so inclined. The only civs still playing by then would be Japan, Prussia, Russia and the US. Of those, only the US would likely go anywhere near the Middle East, and probably nowhere near Israel.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Well, I rarely go for the UHV's and my Dominations are quite late.
    I don't think that we need Israel as a minor nation or some such, this region doesn't need more hostile spawns.

8. Noodz

Noodz Warlord

Agreed. Not all modern nations fit in as a civilization in DoC

9. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

I'm all for Israel but honestly I don't think that idea would really work... I've been half-seriously pushing for their inclusion since before RFC BTS.
    Start off with no units? What?
    I think it would work best as a Phonecian respawn, or inclusion as a classical Civ with a likely later re-emergence.
    It's hard to represent though, one of the main reasons Israel is so regionally powerful is simply because they are a modern liberal country surrounded by such hopelessly backward-thinking and reactionary cultures, the only well-off ones being so because of unearned oil-money.

10. Lansa

Lansa Chieftain

Pavel Chichikov your last sentence is full of prejudices.
    The reason why Israel is so powerful is because of the financial, scientific, political and military help from the USA, France, United Kingdom and Germany after 1945. They have the same "reactionary culture" as their neighbors. And unearned resources do not exist.
    -----

The one-city Civ Tibet works, so a civ Israel from British mandate time 1922 till 2000 can work too. But i see no gameplay reason for such a big change in this overcrowded region and late time period.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

One city Tibet works because the place was free already. That cannot be said for Israel.

12. ace99

ace99 Deity

I'd personally like to see a civ in South Africa (Bantu, Zimbabwe?), Central Asia (Gokturks? Kazakhs?), Brazil and Australia/New Zealand (Maori, Polynesians?) before we see Israel.

13. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Those areas are often too empty, and unlike Tibet they can comfortably accommodate multi-city civilizations.

The Barb overhaul helps in making those areas more interesting, but I feel they have more potential than that.

14. archcapitalist

archcapitalist Warlord

polynesians would be tough without redoing the map. but a settle easter island and build the moai would be a sweet uhv goal.
    you would have to give them a uu that could travel across ocean before optics but then how do you stop them from getting conquerers, reaching europe

i'd love to play as aboriginal australians. always playing in that splendid isolation, back to restarting until i got to australia on 18civ earth map.

a modmodmod that plays as an alternate history would be really cool. they could start in 3000 bc and tech really slowly.

15. Phail

Phail Chieftain

I'll explain in greater detail.
    First off, I have no idea if there is a way to even do this coding wise:
    At a certain date that could be determined later, Israel is "born", yet not actually in the game. it would almost be like a dead civilization. I've you ever gone into world builder (or I suppose this could be done with code) and given a city to a dead civilization, they a revived. That is what I had in mind. Once the congress rolls around, the "dead" Israel can request Jerusalem (once again, not sure if its possible thought I do believe it could be done in another fashion).

16. Hippo8085

Hippo8085 Shaken, not stirred

This could go along with the UN reviving dead civs. Something like a mandate for city independence. This may actually be easier than the full reviving of a civ, as most of the mechanic is already there with the mandate for city ownership, just go to the independents rather than a major civilization.

17. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

REALTALK:

-Nation does not equate to civilization. This is Dawn of Civilization.
    NOT Dawn of Nation-States.

-Israel would clutter up the Middle East. This isn't GEM.
    It would be acceptable in GEM, but certainly not modern Israel,
    which does not remotely resemble ancient Israel or Judah.

-There are no such things as "earned resources" in the context of things we find in the ground.
    Seriously, what do you have to smoke to believe in such a delusional idea?

18. clark k

clark k Chieftain

Isreal would not add much to overall gameplay but it would add to the novelty and historicity factors. How about a conditional spawn for isreal. Maybe something like they only spawn if jeruselem is independent or is controlled by a western civ. If you control it as any civ you can choose whether to let them rise or not.

19. OrcWarrior

OrcWarrior Chieftain

Kind of off topic, but how do you switch civs while in game? I enabled the cheat codes and can't remember what the shortcut is to play different civs. I'm doing this so I can play Post-Arab Egypt

20. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

Alt + Z