Idea for Religion: Holy City States

It will be possible when the source code is released.

I hope you're right. Would anyone here be willing to take on the challenge? I'd be happy to be a tester and to help develop ideas but I have zero modding knowledge or experience.

Love the idea! I've played so much civ 4 multiplayer. I really miss the religion aspect of the game. This is a nice way of solving it! Lets hope Sid and Fireaxis think so too!

I actually registered on civfantatics only to give my support.

Join the true faith. Add this to your signature if you believe:
City States = HOLY LAND

Love the idea! I've played so much civ 4 multiplayer. I really miss the religion aspect of the game. This is a nice way of solving it! Lets hope Sid and Fireaxis think so too!

I actually registered on civfantatics only to give my support.

Join the true faith. Add this to your signature if you believe:
City States = HOLY LAND

Thanks for your support! I hope that someone at Firaxis has seen this thread - even if they decide not to go with the idea (in which case we will need to find a willing modder to take on the task). :)

Religions started it all (nation-building, commerce, human law...etc.).

Can't have civilizations without it.

-.-

love it! simply perfect!
as specially the "religion-relationships" things..
not TOO involved,yet not TOO hard ignored..
congrat!
...If ONLY Greg could of seen this.. then spread out the word in their team there?

But what if there was a religious slider or something. When I found Christianity in Civ 4, I knew that there was a turbeleunt period known as Reformation where Protestants and Roman Catholics bleed Europe over differences. Same with Orthodox and other Jews. Why not be able to determine how aggressive the faith is? Also have the opportunity to split the faith.

This sounds complicated, but take this example: You found Christianity in Rome, right. You spread it around the world, got a lot of followers. Then someone who has been on the liberal end of the religion slider is gifted with Protestantism, changing the name of their religion and adding different bonus and effects, including immediate :mad: with Roman Catholics.

This is a very good idea, but to make it simple, have a religion tree in social policies. The tree could start out with some basic religous policies and then can branch out into 4 to 6 different choices for new religions. The civ that adopts one of the policies gets to choose a city to be the Holy City, but wouldnt have effects of Holy City States, because the civ would have already "absorbed" it in a way.

The four to six religous policies could be:
protestant (normal bonuses)
greek orthdox (normal bonuses)
jewish orthdox (normal bonuses)
shunni-horsehockye (normal bonuses)
Cult (no other civ can adopt this religion, diplomacy points with all civs go down, food goes up)
abolishment of religion (as with communisim) (no religion can be adopted unless you work up a GREAT number of diplomacy points with a HCS)
Scientoligy (science bonus along with happiness)

how is this???

Sorry if this has already been said, but I don't feel like going through the whole thing. :deadhorse:.

But what if there was a religious slider or something. When I found Christianity in Civ 4, I knew that there was a turbeleunt period known as Reformation where Protestants and Roman Catholics bleed Europe over differences. Same with Orthodox and other Jews. Why not be able to determine how aggressive the faith is? Also have the opportunity to split the faith.

This sounds complicated, but take this example: You found Christianity in Rome, right. You spread it around the world, got a lot of followers. Then someone who has been on the liberal end of the religion slider is gifted with Protestantism, changing the name of their religion and adding different bonus and effects, including immediate :mad: with Roman Catholics.

Does this make sense? It is probably way too complicated to pull off though. The city states would be pefect! Also, they need to add Shinto, Zorastrian, Sikh and Janism to the list.

Christianity DID not become found in Rome... It was killed in Rome ~400AD.

Catholicism was found in Rome thereafter. Christain-protestants are not any different than catholics since they worship the same trinity and follow the same luciferian doctrines. Both of these groups worship Mithras and play major roles in nation-building, economies and mass deception.

Just stating truth.

-.-

Christianity DID not become found in Rome... It was killed in Rome ~400AD.

Catholicism was found in Rome thereafter. Christain-protestants are not any different than catholics since they worship the same trinity and follow the same luciferian doctrines. Both of these groups worship Mithras and play major roles in nation-building, economies and mass deception.

Just stating truth.

-.-

Catholicism in Rome, I'm not trying to split hairs here. Well the protestants and Christians were different enough in the reformation to slaughter each other during events such as the Thirty Years War and St. Barthlomew's Day (sp) Massacre.

For the record, I'm neither ok. I think you would've liked to meet Martin Lurther of Germany, wanting to expose the abuses of the Catholic church and force them to change, funny, he never intended to start a new sect. If it wasn't for the printing press his ideas might've not spread so fast either.

Anyways, history lesson done. The point is you can study religion scientifically and historically without being absorbed by it. Remember ignorance is not always strength.

I'm done.

This is a very good idea, but to make it simple, have a religion tree in social policies. The tree could start out with some basic religous policies and then can branch out into 4 to 6 different choices for new religions. The civ that adopts one of the policies gets to choose a city to be the Holy City, but wouldnt have effects of Holy City States, because the civ would have already "absorbed" it in a way.

Cult (no other civ can adopt this religion, diplomacy points with all civs go down, food goes up)
abolishment of religion (as with communisim) (no religion can be adopted unless you work up a GREAT number of diplomacy points with a HCS)

how is this???

That's a possibility, don't know about the scientology :crazyeye:. Perphaps the policies should go like this:
Orthodox
Reformed
Theocratic
Secularism
Athieism
Free Religion

Something like that, maybe a menu to choose what you're religion will be, but I can understand not wanting to make one stronger than the other. For example, imagine the backlash of making Judaism stronger than Islam. Fraxis would be bombarded with nut jobs.

I definitely think if religion comes in, it will be with city states.

I see the game evolving as the other AI players will basically be your game opponents. They're there to play the game. But the city states will be where diplomacy comes in. I'd like to see them evolve with religion, favourite civics, and basically bring the civ4 diplomatic system to them. Making them the holy city sites, most likely through the new "religious city states" would definitely add that immersion to the game, and I'm sure with that it could be more easily balanced than the civ4 system.

How about the city states being the holy cities and have firm control of the religions themselves, but through civics or policies, you can dictate how the religion influences you and you can simply switch to see which faith your civ follows, thus affecting diplomacy with the city states.

love it! simply perfect!
as specially the "religion-relationships" things..
not TOO involved,yet not TOO hard ignored..
congrat!
...If ONLY Greg could of seen this.. then spread out the word in their team there?

I assume that was a joke :lol: :crazyeye:

How about the city states being the holy cities and have firm control of the religions themselves, but through civics or policies, you can dictate how the religion influences you and you can simply switch to see which faith your civ follows, thus affecting diplomacy with the city states.

I like the idea of linking religion with social policies. For example, you could choose free religion and try to please several Friendly city-states, or follow a "fundamental" route to please a Hostile HCS. It would add more variety (and shouldn't be too complicated).

I think something like that could work.

how is this???
You didn't put much thought to this, did you?

Any way, I vote for bringing religion back, some way or another. The city state option is a good one.

that's probably among the easiest way. the city states I mean, just turn some city states into Holy Cities and in order to gain favor with them you need to convert to their religion.

that's probably among the easiest way. the city states I mean, just turn some city states into Holy Cities and in order to gain favor with them you need to convert to their religion.

What about military civs? What if a religious city state is destroyed or captured?

There should be a lot, a lot of different religious city-states in my oppinion. One for each even slightly common religion, not just the largest. And also, not just the ones that are common now. Ancient religions should be there too, the ones with many different gods.

we also don't want to overburden it. Too many religions mean a crap ton of work for Fraxis.

I humbly submit for your critique the Religious City States mod (in alpha state). This thread was a significant inspiration for my work, so thank you! I hope the result is found to be with potential. :)

Edit: Apologies for thread necromancy, I bookmarked this thread and forgot to check when the most recent post date was. >_<

I humbly submit for your critique the Religious City States mod (in alpha state). This thread was a significant inspiration for my work, so thank you! I hope the result is found to be with potential. :)

Edit: Apologies for thread necromancy, I bookmarked this thread and forgot to check when the most recent post date was. >_<

:bowdown: :jesus:

Excellent work, my friend. Bravo! :goodjob:

I will give your mod a try when I get chance (hopefully this week sometime). :D

Top Bottom