Idea: Holy War

AndarielHalo

Prince
AndarielHalo said:
Some feedback to annoy you with:

The Civopedia, not sure if it's in the beta, but in 1.73 and before, claims that King Richard's Crusade requires Intolerant and Christianity, but the bonuses claim usage with YOUR state religion. Perhaps this should change a bit to specify it ONLY works with Christianity?

And on that note... given that Christianity has that superweapon with the Crusade, shouldn't it be fair to give Islam the option for Jihad, perhaps by Salah ad-Din? (given he was the primary opponent of King Richard, and fought him to a standstill) Something that could spawn special Jihadist warriors, like Ghazi Warriors?

On that note, perhaps all the religions could receive something like that with units, like Sacred Band for Hellenism, something like a Were-Jaguar Warrior for Naghualism, special Immortals for Zoroastrianism, etcetera? Otherwise, just Jihad and Ghazi would suffice

I agree, all religions should have their form of Crusade-Like ability. Could you start a thread on the matter, with a layout for each religion? I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject, but would be interested in, and will make it if it gets positive feedback.

So I'm doing just that, since I ain't got no job.

As it stands now, there's really no reason for a warlike nation to NOT pick Christianity (or Hellenism, for the Pankration bonus) as their state religion---you get free Crusaders every few turns, with the power of warlord chiefs in them.

So here would be my idea in terms of building and units:

Islam

Name Choices:
1) "Jihad al-Akbar" (Greater Jihad)
2) "Salah ad-Din's Jihad"
3) "Jiihad bis Saif" (Jihad of the Sword)

Should have the same sorts of things as King Richard's, with increased production, culture, happiness, etcetera.

Unit produced:
1) Ghazi (plural; Ghazawat) - Technically, "Ghazi" means "to raid" or "raider". It is someone who carries out a military expedition. Ghazi typically weren't heavy troops, not meant for the sort of combat crusaders were.

Thus, I think they should have extra movement points and high withdrawal chances. This would best reflect their nature as "harrassment" troops, to weaken enemy positions, raid their supplies, and attacking weak targets like villages and terrorizing people

2) Mujahid (plural; Mujahideen) - Literally translating to "struggler" or "freedom fighter", the term obviously is directly relative to "Jihad". This isn't a particularly specific unit type, though given that King Richard's Crusade produces what basically amount to Templar Knights (or Teutonic Knights if your color scheme is broken), it technically wouldn't matter, I guess.

"Saracen" soldiers were never particularly heavy in terms of infantry combat. The best type of unit to be made here would either be a heavy cavalry trooper or whatever.

Hellenism

Name Choices:
1) "Proschema" - Greek term basically meaning a justification for war.

I don't think this should add to general production, but should increase military production and culture, and perhaps cause some minor unhappiness and tax increase. While they may have invoked religion, I can think of few, if any major wars in ancient Greece that were (on their face) solely motivated by religion.

Unit Produced:

1) Sacred Band - The most famous and well-known are the Sacred Band of Thebes and Sacred Band of Carthage. The Theban Sacred Band were made up of 150 homosexual couples, as it was believed that men who fought alongside their lovers would make them fight harder and bolder, and never rout from battle, for fear of either losing their lover or humiliating them.

Although they would obviously be pikemen, they'd have to be incredibly powerful against infantry, rather like the Phalanx already in the game. They'd probably need to start with Shock I.

The most famous victory for the Theban Sacred Band was the Battle of Leuctra, where Thebes defeated Sparta in an absolutely crushing victory, which saw not only revolutionary tactics that would forever change Greek warfare, but saw a huge number of Spartiatai, the "with this (shield) or upon this" type, run from the battlefield. The 300 Sacred Band massed in a huge, long line, an odd shape, and rammed into the Spartan line like a spear, breaking the line violently.

They were utterly defeated by Philip of Macedon at the Battle of Chaeronea, to soldiers under direct command of Alexander, later to be known as "Megas Alexandros---Alexander the Great". The Sacred Band were no match for the Macedonian Phalanx, as they had developed beyond the 12 foot spears of the Thebans to 18 foot spears. As well, Alexander relied heavily upon heavy cavalry, which he used in a move that would seem utterly insane to any tactician, by attacking the spearmen headon with heavy cavalry.

2) Argyraspides (Silver Shields) - THE absolute elite of Alexander the Great's army. Many of his best soldiers were in their 50s and 60s, old men who'd spent decades fighting for Philip, then Alexander, against Greeks, Thracians, Illyrians, Asians, Persians, Indians, etcetera.

They fought primarily as Hypaspistai, which was rather different from the typical Phalangites, as they carried larger shields, and shorter spears, or even swords. They were meant to be fast and mobile, as well as heavy hitters. Under the Diadokhoi, they began to fight more in the Phalanx, becoming the elite of Seleukid armies.

Hinduism

I don't know much about Hinduism in terms of military matters. Hinduism is very strictly against aggression and wars of aggression. But they definitely are not so nonviolent as Buddhism is. I'm not sure if even this would be suitable for Hinduism, but I'll try regardless, if only for Rule of Cool.

Name Choices:
1) Kshatriya - Could be tied in to requiring the Caste civic---Kshatriya is the military branch of the Hindu social caste system.

Unit Produced:

1) Rajput Warrior - Incredibly powerful and crafty infantry soldiers. These definitely should not be produced in bulk. They are experts in martial arts and steel weapons, including things I forgot the name of, which are literally swords shaped like a ring which are hurled at enemies. They should be hugely powerful against infantry, and possibly start with martial arts stats. But definitely they should not appear as quickly as other units in this Holy War thing.

Naghualism

Name Choices:

1) War Path - The name "Warpath" technically applies to the Natives of North America, but I cannot find anything close or similar for the Olmec-y people of Mexica

2) Panquetzaliztli - Panquetzaliztli isn't actually a holy war; it's the Aztec month dedicated to their war god, Huitzilopochtli, who is often depicted as a hummingbird. (Huitzilin is Nahuatl for hummingbird) (C; GigaNerd)

Unit Produced:

1) Cuachicqueh ("Shorn Ones") - A league beyond those of Jaguar and Eagle Warriors. They shaved their heads, save for a long braid over their left ear. Their bald heads and faces were painted one half blue and another half red or yellow. They had sworn not to take a step backwards during a battle on pain of death at the hands of their comrades.

Like any Aztec soldier, they should be light, fast, and versatile.

Judaism

ideas ripped off from GigaNerd

Name Choices:

1) Milkhemet Mitzvah ("War by Commandment") - Used typically only during the time of the Bible, this was essentially a war brought about by the King of Israel required by the Torah without needing the approval of the Great Sanhedrin---a council of 71 men making up the judicial system of Israel.

2) Milkhemet Reshut ("Authorized War") - Essentially a discretionary war, more defensive than expansionary. I guess the Crusades could be considered "defensive", leaving aside ulterior motives.

Unit Produced:

1) Kanai - A spiffier Hebrew word for "Zealot". Same thing, but sounds cooler. The first Kanai mentioned in the Bible was Pinchas, who was rewarded by God for his zealotry because he did not act out of personal gain or hate.

Zoroastrianism​

Name Choices:

1) Asha - Complex term, interpreted as the "path of righetousness" or "truth". This is the central core and most important aspect of Zoroastrianism, the opposite is Druj, meaning "Lie"
2) Invocation of Asha
3) Invocation of Frashokereti - Frashokereti is the doctrine of the final renovation of the universe, when evil will be finally vanquished and all will be made good.

Units Produced

1) Asawaran - The noble class of several Zoroastrian societies, from the Parthians to the Sassanids. They considered themselves descendents of the ancient Aryans, and made up the cavalry backbone of the Sassanid army. They're considered the forerunners of later Arabian Knights and the Knightly class.

The rest come later, or you add suggestions of your own. Please.

I agree with your efort it will be fun to see this implemented, but here are a couple of issues i can think about:

1. first of all the King Richard's Crusade was thought to be as a unique wonder for the christian religion, if you are going to make some sort of wonders for every religion, we should think about adding another unique wonder for christianity instead of this one

2. the current system make that if you build this wonder, even if you change religion, it still produces crusaders, we should make it that if you change religion the building should not produce crusaders anymore, the bonuses will still apply but no more free units, instead if to say you switch to islam and you have built the islamic counterpart that building would start to produce ghazi or mujahid.

3. better off we should make them into national wonders, first of all to give every nation the chance to get these units and second, as i recall not only the english fought in the crusade many nations participated

Also i would like to see aarandas religions implemented in AND and eventually some sort of unique crusade buildings for them to, as i recall in aarandas pack if you choose kemetism you can build Ra Fist with is like a maceman but with desert combat promotion.

I felt this idea justified in that once I become Intolerant, and Christian, I build this and get some of the best units of this era, able to use enemy roads, with double movement points, and 15 attack.

Historically speaking, King Richard's Crusade was kind of a failure, as Richard fought Salah ad-Din to a draw. Historically as well, the Christians weren't the only ones with holy wars that drew masses of people to arms without needing to be paid to do so. I felt at the very least, Islam should've had something similar, but then I recognize that it would be unfair to the other religions as well.

However, I am adamantly against uniformity, which is part of why I love how Islam can grant "Mujahid" bonuses to Warlords, and Hellenism grants "Pankration" to any unit built in a city with a Hellenic Gymnasium.

But this idea would make for better wars in the Medieval era, especially on game speeds where most people would spend their turns building buildings for their cities rather than churning out masses of units.

Pretty good idea. The only thing I want to bring up is that a civilization should only be able to build one of these at a time and if they want to get another (which would do them no good anyway) would be to capture another city. Reason? Because it should be specialized like that. As National Wonders, it works even better but it should be impossible to switch religions and build another one to produce more units. Either that, or make it so it only produces the units when you're running the religion for the National Wonder.

The buildings themselves should give no culture or anything of the sort but maybe could grant a free Great General? That might be a bit extreme but GG points aren't out of the question.

Also, how about the ability to spread their religion to conquered cities?

Haven't played AND for a while, so I'm not familiar with each religion's bonuses, but here's a few ideas:

A civ may declare a holy war on another civ if (and only if) they have the "worst enemy" status and follow another faith.

Each faith grants a promotion to all of their current and upcoming units, and it remains with them until the end of the holy war.

Christianity - Crusader promotion
Islam - Jihad promotion
Judaism - Zealot promotion
Nagualism - Huitzilin promotion
Taoism - Yellow Turban promotion

Later religions (e.g. Christianity, Islam) should have more powerful promotions than earlier religions (e.g. Hinduism).

Notes:

Milkhemet Mitzvah would be a better alternative to Zealotry, but the Zealot revolts against the Roman empire are more famous, so I stuck with them.

Panquetzaliztli isn't actually a holy war; it's the Aztec month dedicated to their war god, Huitzilopochtli, who is often depicted as a hummingbird. (Huitzilin is Nahuatl for hummingbird) This was the only idea I could think of, so enjoy it! :p

I have to go now, but I'll be back with more! :D

I'm stealing your ideas for my primary post ^^

Speaking of the primary post... You can't have holy war produce units unless

a. They're all scaled in proportion to your technological age (e.g. You don't want spear-wielding Maccabees in the Industrial Era)
b. Holy wars grant promotions instead

Speaking of the primary post... You can't have holy war produce units unless

a. They're all scaled in proportion to your technological age (e.g. You don't want spear-wielding Maccabees in the Industrial Era)
b. Holy wars grant promotions instead

I don't understand. Does this mean that Crusaders produced are scaled for technological ages? My idea was that these holy wars could only come about with the Intolerant civic, or Divine Cult.

That way, there could possibly be two different versions of the units for the different ages, or they could scale in some way. I don't know how the game works.

I don't understand. Does this mean that Crusaders produced are scaled for technological ages? My idea was that these holy wars could only come about with the Intolerant civic, or Divine Cult.

That way, there could possibly be two different versions of the units for the different ages, or they could scale in some way. I don't know how the game works.

You could have the best of both worlds I think. You could have the special units such as the Crusader for Christians AND promotions that are granted under Intolerant and Divine Cult that are granted under these conditions.

Crusader promotion is granted to ALL units when CivA goes to war with CivB if CivB has a different religion.

That way, you have special religion units but can continue having holy wars well into the modern age should you choose. With Intolerant no longer having a detrimental effect to technological advancement, people will actually think of using Intolerant.

What I meant was that a Civ w/ Divine Cult in the Ancient Era shouldn't share the exact same Holy War Unit (HWU) with a Civ w/ Divine Cult in the Medieval, Industrial, or Transhuman Eras, etc.

(For instance: if the Christian HWU is based off medieval Crusaders, then Ancient civs will become overly powerful, while Modern civs would be sorely cheated.)

That's why I suggested the idea of Holy War Promotions (HWP), because no matter the era, promotions (e.g.Combat III and Medic II) give benefits! :goodjob:

Here's my newest, cruelest, coolest Holy War scheme! :crazyeye:

A civ may declare a holy war on another civ if (and only if) they have the "worst enemy" status and follow another faith.

Each faith grants a promotion to all of their current and upcoming units, and it remains with them until the end of the holy war. These promotions only affect opponents belonging to or allied with the targeted Civ.

Ancient Faiths:
Judaism - Zealot promotion
Hinduism - Kurukshetra promotion
Zoroastrianism - Frashokereti promotion
Kemetism - Pharaonic Campaigner promotion

Classical Faiths:
Nagualism - Huitzilin promotion
Confucianism - Yi promotion
Hellenism - Hero Deification promotion
Buddhism - Virtuous Defender promotion

Medieval Faiths:
Christianity - Crusader promotion
Islam - Jihad promotion
Taoism - Yellow Turban promotion [I forgot whether Taoism is Classical or Medieval in RoM:AND, so please remind me!]

Classical faiths should possess more powerful promotions than Ancient faiths, and Medieval faiths should possess more powerful promotions than Classical faiths.

Feel free to help me figure out what all these promotions do! :lol:

Top Bottom