Idea: Midwestern Madness Mod

Would do you think of this mod idea?

• Yes! It's a great idea

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I wouldn't play it since my state isn't in there, but it's an okay idea.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I'm not from the US, it all seems trivial to me.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I just don't like it

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Carbon_Copy

Elemental
Here's an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. Modding all sixteen civs to the (north-) central third of the "lower 48" US states, and have them vie for dominance over the Ohio/Missouri/Missisippi river valleys (if a large/huge map of the central US could be made)...or whatever random map happens to pop up. This is more of an idea for a vanity project than a "serious" mod like Shaitan's British Isles mod (btw, Shai, if you're reading this, did you derive your name from the Arabic word Shaitan, or from the Wheel of Time series? Pretty ominous handle, either way). I just want to lead my poor beleaguered Hoosiers (who possess the smallest state west of the Appalachian Mountains) to dominance over those damn Michiganders and Kentuckians. :soldier:

Anyhow, my preliminary list of states (divided by "culture group"):

Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio

Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Kansas

Wisconsin
Minnesota
North Dakota
South Dakota

Kentucky
Arkansas
Tennessee

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing some feedback as to whether there are enough people from the world's breadbasket to generate some interest in such a mod, and if so, if they could suggest some vital stats for any of the states, like leader name, traits, great leader list, plus a unique unit (I probably could have Indiana covered, but I'm still at a loss for a UU). Also helpful would be what people from that state call themselves (e.g. people from Nebraska are "Nebraskans" unless I'm mistaken, but people from Indiana are "Hoosiers"). I probably could pull city names from a road atlas, unless there are cities that need to be added that were important historically but not currently (like Corydon for Indiana...was the first state capital before it moved to Indianapolis, but anymore is just a small town that is just barely large enough to get its name in bold in a road map.

Things like Civilopedia entries, leader heads, or unit graphics could wait, especially if I'm going to be the only one playing it :rolleyes: . Also, this isnt' supposed to be a "historic" mod, so there probably won't be any rules changes planned, beyond just what is needed for civ conversions.

So, what do you guys think?

This is kind of whacked! :crazyeyes: I must admit, there would be a sort of visceral joy at crushing the Cheeseheads...

Illinois would obviously stand in the place of the Americans in the game. After all, Honest Abe was an Illinois politician before being elected President. FYI, Ronald Reagan was born in Illinois. I love my state!

Suggested info for Illinois:

Attributes - Scientific and Industrious
Leader - Abe Lincoln, of course!
Capitol - Springfield
Unique Unit - That's a tough one. I don't know.

For city names, look at a map. The names of Great Leaders will take a bit of research, though.

Just a few ideas.

Hmm, I am not from the U.S... but from what you told me why not make the special UU for Illinois the...

POLITICIAN!

Bombard unit with high ROF and low attack (like in reality, they are everywhere spreading their word but who cares... snicker) that can be captured and reusad (sneaky, isn't (s)he?).

However, no hidden nationality or invisibility things ever! He wants PR after all.

:king:

Have fun!
Benjamin

Originally posted by Lorekeeper
Hmm, I am not from the U.S... but from what you told me why not make the special UU for Illinois the...

POLITICIAN!

Bombard unit with high ROF and low attack (like in reality, they are everywhere spreading their word but who cares... snicker) that can be captured and reusad (sneaky, isn't (s)he?).

However, no hidden nationality or invisibility things ever! He wants PR after all.

:king:

Have fun!
Benjamin

You are very close, my friend. However, in honor of the grand tradition of Chicago politics, the UU should be...

...the CORRUPT politician! :cry:

Illinois politics are dirty and underhanded, much more so than is usual for politicians. I think one of the worst scandals in recent years has been how many death-row inmates have been found to be innocent. The victims of this grave injustice tended to be those who could not afford their own attorney. Incompetent defense coupled with arrogant districts attorney, made for an unholy mess. Worse yet, when mistakes were uncovered, the prosecuters involved tried to block any new trials or review of evidence on the people who were going to be wrongly executed. They would've been happy to let innocents die to protect their jobs. Unthinkable.

On a brighter note, when this scandal came to light, the governor of the state (also a crook, by the way) suspended the death penalty in Illinois, because the state legal system was not (and still is not) trustworthy. Also, there are some arrogant prosecuters now in jail because of their actions.

Sometimes, even in a haven of corruption, justice does get served.

I am from Missouri, near Kansas City. City names would be easy Search maps. Leader Harry Turman. Maybe A type of Stealth bomber for UU because of whiteman AFB Home to the only Stealth bomber Squdron. Captal Jefferson City. Militaristic, Expansionist. That is all the Ideas I have right now. Get back to ya later. Kevin

Oh my, and I just wanted to state something that makes you smile. But there is always hope! ;-)

Have fun with your mod!

Benjamin

Top Bottom