[IDEA] Realistic resource based economy

Nimek

Emperor
1 Strategic buildings (providing access to the resources from trade route)

In every sim like game is normal that you have build first some building to have access to certain types of resources. It is obvious and realistic that you must have place to store and resell them.

I want to categorize resource to tpyes like: food, ores, building materials, military resources.

Now city that have access to trade route have all resources without any city infrastructure (unrealistic) so even i just founded/captured city you can build best available unit by simply buy it.

That should be changed to make over expansion harder and add new economic depth to the gameplay. City with access to the trade route will have access to the resources from trade route depending on buildings that this city have.

a) granary line – gives access to food resources
b) magazines/werehouse line – gives access to building materials resources
c) armoury/arsenal line – access to military resources
d) barter/trade post line – access to every day use resources and luxury resources​

Resources producent locally and in city vicinity will stay as they are now (or not your decision :p).

2 Manufactured resources provides bonuses (and almost only them)

WE have some kind of mess now that raw resources gives some bonuses and resources manufactured from them gives bonuses also. So we have a lot of hapines/food/health everything and game is not a chalange when you have big empire.

My proposal is to remove bonuses from almost all resources (leave it only there where it is realistic) and give that bonuses to manufactured resources from them or buildings that will use them (some manufactured resources cant be transported without modern techs like raw meat so the local buildings will provide bonuses from them). Example gold ore/ ivory itself it is not a luxury resource but jevelery from it is and jevelery should provide hapiness.

a) cows, pigs, sheep and so on will provide health bonus only with butchery/slaughterhouse
b) cant figured out more examples now but i think that you understand this idea
3 More important trade routes (second approach ;) )

a) path trials (prehistoric route type) will conects resources only localy (city vicinity resources) to make prehistoric overexpansion more hard and add some realism.
b) mud paths to asphalt roads – will conects every resources without ores, coal and this veary heavy
c) railroad to teleport network – connects all resources even this very heavy
In reality discovery of railroad was very important in civ history.

4 Startegic cities

Before you discover railroad and connect your cities via it you will be able to produce armors from ores and many other stuff only localy.

@Koshling
1,2 and 3a, 3b is simple to add as you said. Problem is only 3c that will force two diffrent trade route types but only two. Please tell me that it can be done without making game very slowly. (thanks to that railroad artilery will be able t omove only on railroad tiles ;) )

3 More important trade routes (second approach ;) )

a) path trials (prehistoric route type) will conects resources only localy (city vicinity resources) to make prehistoric overexpansion more hard and add some realism.
b) mud paths to asphalt roads – will conects every resources without ores, coal and this veary heavy
c) railroad to teleport network – connects all resources even this very heavy
In reality discovery of railroad was very important in civ history.

I did this first lol.

4. Is going to make life too hard; Additionally it's not like the Romans didn't move stuff around on their roads and Phoenicians and many others didn't move stuff around with their ships. (sorry for the double negative there).

Moving stuff by ship was why canals were built even in the bronze age.

We almost have this already at least for the vicinity and national level what we don't have is imports.

I found some interesting tags for resources in this site
http://www.civ4-modding.com/creer_ressource.php

I dont know french so i gues what they means

<TechCityTrade> - define tech that allow resource to be shared among cities via trade route
Ex. raw meat should be available via trade route after discover refrigeneration

<BonusClassType> allow categorize of resources for civpedia and better management purposes

I found some interesting tags for resources in this site
http://www.civ4-modding.com/creer_ressource.php

I dont know french so i gues what they means

<TechCityTrade> - define tech that allow resource to be shared among cities via trade route
Ex. raw meat should be available via trade route after discover refrigeneration

<BonusClassType> allow categorize of resources for civpedia and better management purposes

TechCityTrade - unfortunately this is not only between cities but within a city. If you set this to refrigeration for raw meat then you would not get raw meat in any city until refrigeration! Even the ones with buildings that make raw meat will not have acces to it.

BonusClassType is also used by the map scripts. We do use it for some things in the pedia but care has to be taken when dealing with the map resources.

I have a suggestion for how to implement this - designate certain resources as "special" and apply the trade restriction to them. I'm not very far into the epochs, so I can't provide good examples. (reached late ancient so far)

Then, provide tech-dependant "trade hub" buildings that have to be built, and provide access to their era's resources.

So for example, in the prehistoric age, any luxuries do NOT travel automatically. But if you build a Barter Hut, it enables access to those resources.
In later stages, you would build a Caravan Tent City to gain access to luxuries and, for example, composite military materials

This would keep upgrading. A trade hub for the age would provide enable all ancient resources, and all relevant modern ones.

This may require additional coding though, so it only enables the appropriate resources and in the right quantities. The building should also be moderately expensive, so it's not MUCH more cost-efficient to simply build it locally. If it's expensive enough, and I only care about certain resources, I might just build them locally.

I have a suggestion for how to implement this - designate certain resources as "special" and apply the trade restriction to them. I'm not very far into the epochs, so I can't provide good examples. (reached late ancient so far)

Then, provide tech-dependant "trade hub" buildings that have to be built, and provide access to their era's resources.

So for example, in the prehistoric age, any luxuries do NOT travel automatically. But if you build a Barter Hut, it enables access to those resources.
In later stages, you would build a Caravan Tent City to gain access to luxuries and, for example, composite military materials

This would keep upgrading. A trade hub for the age would provide enable all ancient resources, and all relevant modern ones.

This may require additional coding though, so it only enables the appropriate resources and in the right quantities. The building should also be moderately expensive, so it's not MUCH more cost-efficient to simply build it locally. If it's expensive enough, and I only care about certain resources, I might just build them locally.

Sounds to me like there is considerable overlap with the way Hydro has moved to handle metals recently (ore -> ingot -> ware, mediated by processing buildings that provide output resources to your trade network)...

Sounds to me like there is considerable overlap with the way Hydro has moved to handle metals recently (ore -> ingot -> ware, mediated by processing buildings that provide output resources to your trade network)...

Wouldn't that mean that the implementation would be easy if this direction is chosen?

Wouldn't that mean that the implementation would be easy if this direction is chosen?

Elements that are directly analogous to the metals system currently in place would be. That doesn't cover everything though. I was mostly just pointing out that any proposed new system should be consistent with/an evolution of/replace the current system for ores and metals, so it's relevant to the conversation is all.

I have always wanted some way of luxuries to go from being only for the very rich to available to the well off to being expected for every one, but have not thought of a good mechanism.

I have always wanted some way of luxuries to go from being only for the very rich to available to the well off to being expected for every one, but have not thought of a good mechanism.

There could be different levels of city happiness for rich/poor merging in a combined happiness factor

For example, in the Total War series you can manage provinces (represented by cities in civ) and adjust taxes for the poor and taxes for the rich. If for instance the rich pay 70% and the poor pay 30% the province will be save but the growth would be deminished compared to 50% for both. A rate like having 80% - 20% would have a uprisings of the rich more likely, 20% - 80% of the poor. If you had like 80% - 80% both would feel pressed and be even more likely to revolt.

In civ, adressing happiness of high/low class seperately could be interesting. Also the focus on the social composition (is there a high class? if yes, how is it structured - how many - what do they do: rule, preach, own? We have civics to represent that but the civics are most likely the boni to me, the social composition would be the basis.

So if you had civic nobility but your cities had just 1% rich and 99% poor, having so many more luxury good only available for the rich would not benefit the cities overall happiness very much. Nobility itself could then have a certain effect upon how much percentage of happiness is contributed by the rich to the overall population happiness pool. For example, if you use nobility the 1% would be represented as 11% of the total influence on happiness (rich 10% more powerful on merged happiness than represented in city)

Achieving to create social schemes like this would be interesting to me. Automatation of city buildings not so much but I understand there could be a game otion for those who want more automatation, just don't neglect those who want to keep it like now.

Top Bottom