1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea: Special Artifacts for Hidden Antiquity Sites

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Louis XXIV, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I haven't had as much time to play BNW, so this idea may be subject to change, but here goes anyway.

There are ten hidden sites in the game as a reward for finishing the Exploration tree. But they're kind of boring - basically the same kinds of artifacts you'd get anyway. My thought is to have "special" artifacts (possibly even called "Great Artifacts") that are only found in these hidden sites. They would have unique art that pops up when you obtain them and you can go back and look at them again. Ideally, they should also give you other things to make them worthwhile (like science, gold, etc.) just like natural wonders do.

The wonders should be famous real world examples of ancient artifacts that have been taken and placed in museums. The most famous would be the Rosetta Stone. If anyone else has suggestions, please post them. I'll make a list. So what do you think of this idea? I think it'll make hidden sites more important and, therefore, help increase the importance of the exploration tree even for those who don't have a powerful navy.

Great Artifact ideas:
    Rosetta Stone
    Venus of Willendorf
    Mask of King Tutankhamun
    Code of Hammurabi
    The Oseberg Ship
    Dead Sea Scrolls
    Aksum Obelisk
    Clovis Points
    Etowah Plates
    Shroud of Turin

Priam's Treasure
    The Koh-i-Noor diamond (taken from India and placed in the crown jewels)
    Stone of Tizoc
    Coatlicue statue
    Tuxtla Statuette

Sword of Goujian
    Mawangdui Silk Texts
    Coyolxauhqui Stone
    Venus of Dolní Věstonice
    Cyrus Cylinder
    Bust of Nefertiti
    Stele of the Vultures
    Wulfing cache

Rongorongo
    Warrior of Hirschlanden
    Padang Roco Inscription
    Phaistos Disc
    Merneptah Stele
    Antikythera mechanism
    Mask of Agamemnon

Ötzi the Iceman
    Luzia Woman
    Rylands Library Papyrus
    Tel Dan Stele
    Ipuwer Papyrus
    Siloam Inscription

Duvensee paddle
    Battersea Shield
    Lady of Elche
    Lady of Guardamar
    Preslav Treasure
    Botorrita plaque
    Golden Cone of Ezelsdorf-Buch
    Hallaton Helmet
    Seax of Beagnoth
    Eberswalde Hoard
    Nordendorf fibulae
    Nordendorf fibulae

Dōtaku
    Crown of Gaya
    Wonoboyo hoard
    Amoghapasa inscription
    Bajaur casket
    Venus of Tan-Tan
    Kahun Papyri

2. LastSword

LastSword Prince

Tutankhamun Tomb. (Mask of Tutankhamun)

That's good idea for mod.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah. I hope someone makes it.

That's a good choice too. I'm trying to create some global diversity because it's too easy to make everything from Egypt. However, I'm definitely adding that one. It just epitomizes archaeology at its historical height. I'm also going to add Priam's Treasure for the same reason. No reason the list can't be more than ten even if only ten would make the actual cut if some generous mod-maker decides to take up this idea :mischief:

4. Galgus

Galgus Chieftain

I like that idea, it would be cool for hidden sites to be stronger.

This may be silly, but what if mythic natural wonders such as the Fountain of Youth and El Dorado could only be seen and used by players who completed the Exploration tree?

(At least until they found a city on one.)

They could be made even stronger, and potentially spawned scattered in unclaimed territory after someone finished Exploration.

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Actually, that's not a terrible idea. I like the rarity code approach now (you have the incentive to go look for it, but the odds are you'll never find it). However, it might be cool to think that, perhaps, they never found it because they never finished the exploration tree. You could add King Solomon's Mines to that list.

It also makes me wonder about adding fictional artifacts to this list. The Ark of the Covenant would certainly be an appropriate hidden artifact (Raider's of the Lost Ark and all that), but, at the same time, I feel there are enough found tangible ones to choose from so as to not justify it. It would fit my idea of these artifacts giving special bonuses (it would give lots of faith and possibly melt Nazi faces), though.

6. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Cities that were destroyed before the game even started (4000 BC) like Jericho or like neolithic age tools

7. seancolorado

seancolorado Chieftain

Agreed. The artifacts should be special and give a boost and they should give no diplomatic hit for digging them in foreign lands.

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, you have to be more specific. You can't put the entire city of Jericho into a museum ;)

I agree and disagree. If the other civ can't see them, there should be no penalty. However, if they complete exploration as well, they should be free to yell at you.

9. seancolorado

seancolorado Chieftain

Yeah that's what I meant. Seems like a very natural concept, wondering what the reasoning for not implementing that was. (Perhaps it should also be restricted to open borders, or no?)

10. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Ancient cities like Jericho or Çatalhöyük should be made into an archaeology site and the things found in those ancient cities will have artifacts and tools that can be displayed in museums

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

An interesting expansion of my idea.

I usually go for the simpler idea first, though. Plus, my idea would allow for more flexibility. The problem with your idea is that the artifacts themselves will probably be generic. Catalhoyuk is a famous archaeological site, but I can't name any famous artifacts from it. So it'll still be "found an arrowhead at Catalhoyuk." Part of my idea was to capture the flavor of great art where you can continue to look at the artifacts you found for the indefinite future.

Also, some dig sites belong to civs in the game (e.g., Nimrud. Troy might as well).

12. wigwam

wigwam Chieftain

Ooh, I love this idea.

I actually think the Ark of the Covenant would be fine—better than the Fountain of Youth. It's apocryphal, sure, but it could actually exist. The real thing just wouldn't have magical Nazi-melting powers.

Other cool stuff that fits the bill:

the Oseberg ship
    Ötzi the Iceman
    the Antikythera mechanism
    the Phaistos Disk
    the Cyrus Cylinder
    the Mask of Agamemnon
    the stele with Hammurabi's Code
    the bust of Nefertiti

Some local and local-ish stuff:

a giant, golden, penis-shaped hat (yes, really)
    the Erfurt hoard (including the coolest wedding ring you'll ever see)

13. Snes

Snes Chieftain

This is a cool idea, but keep it as a thematic bonus only so they function exactly as any artifact, just with the extra flavor of being a real-world object.

14. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

One of the most famous artifact is already present as wonder - the terracotta army.

15. Galgus

Galgus Chieftain

You could have said cone-shaped hat just as accurately.

16. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I had to google, but I found the seated woman of catal hoyuk. Everything else was a mural or a ladder. Still, that's something.
    Even just a one-tine bonus would work.like, say the Rosetta Stone gives you some science. It doesn't need to give you science every turn. Though, yeah, theming them might bring more tourism than a few paintings would when themed.

17. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

maybe hidden sites should be all the special and random - an artifact, a number of artifacts, a landmark or a landmark+artifacts, varying.

so if you found Jericho, you get "plastered skulls" (x2?) ordinary artifacts (2 culture, 2 tourism) and at the same time a special landmark is created (say 6 culture), having special art.

Gobekli Tepe: 12 culture landmark

Chatal Huyuk: 8 culture landmark, "seated woman" ordinary artifact (2 culture, 2 tourism)

Ötzi the Iceman: great artifact. 4 culture, 6 tourism

Hammurabi's Code: great artifact, 6 culture, 4 tourism

Nefertiti: 5 culture, 5 tourism

Altamira cave: 12 culture landmark

etc.

18. wigwam

wigwam Chieftain

I could have said cone-shaped hat, but that would not have been just as accurate. Strictly speaking, that hat is not cone-shaped.

19. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood Chieftain

A frozen mammoth like they keep finding in Siberia.

20. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord