Idea to Improve Vassal system

Dnomal

Prince
I was thinking one way to improve the vassal state system, would be if the vassal could ONLY trade with the master. I mean as in trade routes and resources, tech tradingh would still be allowed.

By ensuring that all trade routes go into the master the vassal would be economically dependant on the master, therefore if and when a vassal civ breaks from the master, the economic problems would be much larger.

And one of the benefits would be that since the Vasssal could only trade with the master, that the master's trade would have a monopoly on the vassals markets, and so gain an extra 25 or 30% higher income.

I believe the later would urge civs to conquer other civs to ensure markets for their trade routes, as happened Historically with the Europaean colonial empires, where the colonies could only trade with the "homeland" or conqueror. In beyond the Sword of course, only the master's corporation could operate in a vassal's territory, and since there would be a monopoly, perhaps another bonus aswell?

These two ideas could be easily implemented, and would give the maser civ a real economic advantage; and create a real economic bonus to vassalise enemy civs, thus promoting players to actual use the feature more, which most players tend to ignore.

Great ideas. I still think an added trait benefit of 'imperialistic' should be linked to vassals.

Great ideas. I still think an added trait benefit of 'imperialistic' should be linked to vassals.

That does sound good, although I can't think of a way to acheive it, before the patch i'd have said a lower cost for upkeep, since before the pacth the cost to mantain a vassal was high, now....

I suppose one option would be the oppurtunity for Imperialistic civs to demand Military command of a Vassal's military, although i think that would be overpowered...

Oh, another idea involving techs this time is everytime you capture an enemy's capital you receive all their techs (you now control their blueprints etc.) along with half of their treasury.

This would make capturing the capital more important than before. I don't think this would unbalance the game because any empire capable of taking the enemy capital would be immensely strong and able to extort the techs out of the victim anyways. Furthermore if the tech advantage was significant then the invader would be unable to take the capital due to superior technology.

Oh, another idea involving techs this time is everytime you capture an enemy's capital you receive all their techs (you now control their blueprints etc.) along with half of their treasury.

This would make capturing the capital more important than before. I don't think this would unbalance the game because any empire capable of taking the enemy capital would be immensely strong and able to extort the techs out of the victim anyways. Furthermore if the tech advantage was significant then the invader would be unable to take the capital due to superior technology.

Correct "all of the techs" to "most of their techs" and I'm game.

The other ideas sounds nice aswell, although I play Vanilla, so how would I know?

I suppoise it could be changed so that every tech (except their two most recent), could go to the conqueror.

Anyways, a smart player could just move their capital before it was conquered by anyone else.

Sorry if I'm threadjacking but since we're on the topic of improving the vassal system... there's one thing in particular which frustrates me nearly every game which tempts me to turn vassal states off at the options screen.

If two civs, say A and B are both at war with C. Then if A wants C to be his vassal, and C is willing to be his vassal, then A should have to declare war on B. It's unfair that I can be killing a civ along with some other guy (where I may be doing most of the work) and just because the other guy has feudalism, he gets the vassal and I get an automatic peace treaty with the new team. This might be right as I'm about to destroy the capital the following turn! :mad: First of all, my units will be moved all the way out of his territory AND if I want to keep warring with the little guy I'm the one who needs to declare war on the master! That's just not cricket!

I think it would be good if you could control the Vassals armies during war time. Ive lost count of how often they just send their troops into an opponents land and just let them sit idle for decades.

One problem I have with the current vassal system is that the AI master will immediately gift all his tech to his vassal. There should be a limitation of how much tech a master can give to his vassal.
For example, in a huge map with 17 civ, a weak civ that got vassalized would immediately (well in short time) become a power house since his techologically advance AI master gifted him all his tech. This should not happen because vassal are suppose to be weak and dependent on his master, but not be able to hold an advance military such as his master.

To solve this, I propose that either master AI should be more hesitant of gifting techology to his vassal, especially military tech or that capitulated AI can declare war on his master to be free.

Great idea!:goodjob:

1) The imperialistic trait gives additional happiness from vassals.
2) Human players can become vassals in Single Player. I really want to play a game as the vassal\underdog fighting against a cruel and oppresive master.

What? Is this some kind of S&M thing? If so, don't post about it.

Top Bottom