Idea to make the endgame better

insaneweasel

Prince
So we all know that firaxis must have rushed a lot of stuff because the reward for "winning" is a silly screen and no information about the game you just played.

I think that a good endgame could work like this: during the game, every time something happens in your civ, like you settle a city, make an ally, get attacked, go to war, etc, the game notes it down. At the end of the game, you would get treated to your civilization's national epic, which would have a bunch of pre-scripted images and a variable set of texts combined with music and pictures. It would also be replayable at any time.

What do you think?

Eh, I think everyone would just be happy with what we always used to have: victory movies and that timeline map thing (whatever it was called, I always forget).

Love the idea. I'm assuming you mean that the ending would depend on how often you did certain things or how little you did certain things (eg, make 7 RAs and the ending will note your cooperation with other civs, don't let the AI trade for your open boarders more than 10 times and they describe an "iron curtain" type of foreign policy, etc). That's good, I always enjoy game endings that vary depending on what I did naturally.

I also want to see the end game replay return (which is the part I'd like to be replayable).

Love the idea. I'm assuming you mean that the ending would depend on how often you did certain things or how little you did certain things (eg, make 7 RAs and the ending will note your cooperation with other civs, don't let the AI trade for your open boarders more than 10 times and they describe an "iron curtain" type of foreign policy, etc).

Exactly what I had in mind. It would have a narrative like an epic, with each important event such as a victory or a defeat marked as a sentence or a paragraph. I think it would make the endgame much better.

So you mean a text with screenshots, which would probably end up looking very similar anyway? If not screenshots, then what kind of images do you mean? They were too cheap to make more than 1 endgame image, let alone 100s for what you're proposing.

I like the idea though.

Eh, I think everyone would just be happy with what we always used to have: victory movies and that timeline map thing (whatever it was called, I always forget).

:agree:
I liked watching the video at the end occasionally, but really liked watching the timeline with the map

Love the idea. I'm assuming you mean that the ending would depend on how often you did certain things or how little you did certain things (eg, make 7 RAs and the ending will note your cooperation with other civs, don't let the AI trade for your open boarders more than 10 times and they describe an "iron curtain" type of foreign policy, etc). That's good, I always enjoy game endings that vary depending on what I did naturally.

I also want to see the end game replay return (which is the part I'd like to be replayable).

This needs to be done. The first time I won, I was really pissed off. I was expecting a cutscene, and just got a pic and a bit of text. That's inexcusable.

Like the idea, it sort of reminds me of the end game summaries from Star Trek Armada II.
It would definitely be an improvement on the current end game screen but would likely be difficult to implement well.

Yeah, flavour is really important in the game, and it's a shame that it's missing in this regard. The idea presented in the OP would seem to be a good rectification of this issue.

The OP idea is pretty good. The flavour missing in the endgame is quite a shame. Flavour is, after all, a vital part of the game. It would be good to see at some stage something more substantial added in.

Top Bottom