[IDEA] UnitStack in cities via special buildings

poncratias

Prince
Let's cut to the point:
What if you could stack units in cities, but you need to build special buildings to do so?

For example: 1 Barrack could host 1 Unit.

So you could build multiple barracks, raising the capacity +1 for each.
This is also kind of realistic, as you need a place/building where your troops can stay in real life too.
The same could work for Airports/Airfields.

This would also enhance the rest of the Civ V gameplay greatly in return:
Empires would spread out more, as there is an important reason for building cities etc.

This also would not lead to defensive Stacks of Doom, as you can only stack as many units as you have buildings/space for them, and this buildings can be expensive and take a while to build.
So no too big stacks, no overpowering.

I had this idea when I thought about the 1UPT rule.
I really like it and it's good, but it just feels wrong when it comes to the cities.
A big mega city can only host 1 Unit?
Hmm but with "Unit per Building" things would just make sense, I really think this is something the gameplay really needs.

That is rather clever, good way round 1upt. But - what would be the building's upkeep? This game is all about gpt, remember...

Surely it make more defensive sense to stop the units getting to your city in the first place? Which actually the current system of "unit litter" actually facilitates.

Although don't put me down as a fan of the games system. I hate how messy it is. I'd like to see a system that allows you to stack (or put another way, "store") units in a city. Obviously without those units actiing as a garrison.

Is this supposed to solve some problem defending cities?

It's a good idea actually. It will help AI defend cities, it will give you an easier to place to 'dump' military when you aren't at war.

It's a good idea actually. It will help AI defend cities, it will give you an easier to place to 'dump' military when you aren't at war.

What to do with all those reserve units? They not only make things look messy, but they obstruct movement, especially when they get two deep around a square. It's a solution. Think marshalling yards. [Only if you keep 1upt though. Otherwise it's not an issue.]

Is this supposed to solve some problem defending cities?

No, this is supposed to make the game better.

Don't you think this would greatly enhance the gameplay?

1UPT is great, but sticking to it blindly where it makes no sense doesn't make sense;)

We should allow our selfs to think further, behind the "all or nothing"-discussions when it comes to the 1UPT debate.

1UPT is a new feature, and it just isn't quite worked out yet.
It is possible to make it better.

The best way to defend cities is having a wall of men between your city and your enemy.

The hexagonal game board was made so this would be possible.

I think the best way for this game to take advantage of the hexagonal board is allow to 2 different build queues, one for buildings, one for units.

Game already has barracks > armory > Mil. Academy path

So that's +3 units right there. No need to even add a new building or allow people to build multiple barracks.

Also... let me add another twist

Unit maitenance is elimited for fortified units. you pay gold when you send your troops out of the city.

it's not about defending.

it's about playing your empire.

There is no point to allow extra garrisons if you weren't defending. The unit maintenance alone would kill you rendering the idea completely moot if no one was attacking you.

The best way to defend cities is having a wall of men between your city and your enemy.

I dont think its about us as players defending. Its a idea that will make the AI a little better couse we all know they need all the help they can get.
And i find it a nice idea anyway, how many barraks do you normaly build. Maybe one in a empire (I normaly build non, its not needed and those free xp's I would get from the barraks ill get through slaughtering badly placed AI units)

There is no point to allow extra garrisons if you weren't defending. The unit maintenance alone would kill you rendering the idea completely moot if no one was attacking you.

No Unit maintenance as long as they are fortified in the city.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas and Suggestions Forum :)

This is exactly an other point that makes this idea really have potential.

The whole point of unit maintenance is for gold management.

If you could garrison your troops and eliminate the cost, everyone would have large armies.

Good idea. What I always thought would be a good idea is to allow different types of units to stack in cities.

Why not allow a ranged unit to stack with a defensive unit?

And let the unit fight independently of the city. Before an enemy caps a city, they should have to defeat the unit garrisoned within.

This way you can have a spearman as the main defender and an archer (which basically has no defense) be your ranged unit.

To take this a step further, why not allow this on all tiles? Allow one defense unit to stack with 1 ranged unit?

This idea is amazing especially with the no maintenance for garrisoned units. However, I agree with an above poster that you shouldn't be able to make multiple copies of the same building. Another option could be to have the barrack allow multiply units to garrison (up to 5?) and the garrisoned units just have a smaller unit maintenance instead of no maintenance. Barracks, etc. may actually be worth building.

Good idea. What I always thought would be a good idea is to allow different types of units to stack in cities.

Why not allow a ranged unit to stack with a defensive unit?

And let the unit fight independently of the city. Before an enemy caps a city, they should have to defeat the unit garrisoned within.

This way you can have a spearman as the main defender and an archer (which basically has no defense) be your ranged unit.

To take this a step further, why not allow this on all tiles? Allow one defense unit to stack with 1 ranged unit?

If you want to do short stacks like that, it could be a good idea but you should reduce the ranged units to a one tile but leave siege at two tiles (no more super human archers lol). I also think civilian units should be stackable but only one worker can work a tile at a time.

The hexagonal game board was made so this would be possible.

It certainly isn't and it certainly wasn't. (The historical Napoleon once accused a proponent of 'walled' defence of 'trying to stop smuggling'.) The idea here is not necessarily about defence, but more about logistics. However, I must concede that it's conducive to a more dynamic defensive mode. I'd suggest, therefore, that walls should obsolete when this opportunity becomes available.

Top Bottom