Idea - will this work?

Jawk

Chieftain
Hey all,
I've recently been learning how to mod thanks to many of the fine tutorials available on this forum. Now I'm starting to get the hang of most things I'm considering starting on a mod.
I've had an idea as to something that I think would add an extra dimension to my mod. Basically I want to extend the need for certain resources in order to train units to more region specific units. Its hard to explain exactly so I'll give an example. If a civ was known for having better swords than those around it because they controled a region that had a particularly pure source of iron (have no idea to the accuracy of this, its just an example). Rather than give that civ a better swordsman as a uu I would make a clone of the iron resource but call it something like pure iron and any civ with this resource can train the better swordsman. That way in a scenario if another civ captures the region they get the better unit instead. This would hopefully make for more realistic and intersting what-ifs.
I'm posting this to ask if you think this would work the way I am hopeing it will and if not could it be tweaked to work.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know it was a long post but I couldn't think of a way to get my thoughts across fully without rambling on so much.

Yes, it is possible. The only point, which is a little difficult is to make this pure iron a really rare resource, so won't be placed everywhere. So you will have to play a little bit with the xml settings of this new resource, until you are satisfied with it.

I was planning on using this in a scenario rather than have it randomly generated. That way I can just place it in an historically accurate location.

That way, it is even more easy. You will probaly find different graphics for resources somewhere in the forums. The only annoying thing is to edit the gamefont file.

yea there's some mods that already do stuff like this. One that comes to mind is the History of the Three Kingdoms mod. It has Purebred Horse, and Horse. I think you can build almost all the same units with horse/purebred horse, except purebred horse gives a 50% bonus production, and there might be a couple units that can only be built with purebred, i forget. As JustATourist said though you'll only want a few of them on a map. In the HotTK mod there's only 2 purebred horse in the main scenario.

Top Bottom