Ideas for a new Civ (Casus Belli, Emergent UAs and other tat)

Urdnot_Scott

Sultan
With me all but certain that Brave New World was Civ 5s last hurrah, I've begun to look forward to the future. Specifically on what I'd like to see in Civ 6, I, embarrassingly am a late joiner to the Civ franchise so I'm not going to simply say what I've seen over and over here which is 'more Civ 4 bits', though I'm sure civ 4 was great, I'd like to try and look for new (atleast to Civ) ideas, so without further ado, here are a few.

The Civs.
Of course, the heart of Civilisation are the emponymous Civilisations themselves, and I've taken a new idea with the Civs and tried to develop each individual Civ much more than in Civ 5 with the addition of 2 UUs and UBs, plus not only a starting UA, but 2 extra UAs that are activated on the completion of a sort of 'goal', this encourages players to go in certain directions with certain civs, remember that though this may seem like its forcing you to play a certain way, all civs currently do that, england forces you to play the naval game, for example.
Here's some examples:

China
Capital: Beijing.
Leader: Tang Taizong
UA1: Scholars of the Orient – While researching a tech, gain a 1% in science for every civ that hasn't discovered this tech
(Unlocked when a great general is expended) UA2: Tactical Genius – All Units gain 25% extra XP from combat.
(Unlocked upon adopting a state religion) UA3: Mandate of Heaven – +1 happiness for every 2 social policies adopted throughout the empire.
UU1: Powder Rocket (Replaces Trebuchet) - 1 extra range, though damage ranges from 40-120% of combat strength, randomly, ranges tighten to 90-150% when gunpowder is researched.
UU2: Chu-Ko-Nu (Replaces Crossbowman) - 1 extra attack per turn. -3 strength.
UB: Alchemists Parlour (Replaces Library) - +1 science for every luxury worked by this city. +1 culture.
UI: Rice Steppes - Can be built on marsh and flood plains tiles, provides 2 food and 1 culture.

Arabian Caliphate.
Capital: Mecca.
Leader: Salah-Al-Din.
UA1: Bedouin Traditions – +1 faith for every two worked desert tiles and Oases provide +2 culture and gold.
(Unlocked upon adopting a state religion) UA2: The Greater Jihad – Units gain 1 XP for every follower of the state religion in the city it was trained in.
(Unlocked upon Founding a Religion) UA3: Abbasid Wisdom – 10% of faith generated in the empire is converted to science.
UU1: Camel Rider (Replaces Knight) - +1 movement in desert and 25% bonus against mounted units.
UU2: Mameluk Archers (Replaces Horse Archer) – 25% bonus in friendly territory, may be bought for faith at a discount.
UB1: Baazar (replaces market) – on top of the regular bonuses of a market, provides +1 gold per worked luxury resource in the city.
UB2: Maktab (replaces university) - +1 science for every 2 faith produced by the city.

British Empire.
Capital: London.
Leader: Queen Victoria I
UA1: Rule Brittania – Build all naval units 25% faster, Half the Naval maintenance.
(Unlocked upon building 3 factories) UA2: Gentleman Imperialism – 15% Combat Bonus against Civs with fewer technologies than Britain and 15% bonus against Civs on another continent.
(Unlocked Upon having a city on a different continent) UA3: Pax Britannica - 1 extra culture for every 5 turns Britain is at peace with every Civ on its continent.
UU1: Man of War – Replaces ship of the line, +2 Movements, +3 Combat strength.
UU2: Redcoat – Cheaper to Produce than regular line infantry, but has -2 combat strength, to make up for this, the Redcoat has a 50% bonus on other continents and starts with the rough terrain bonus promotion.
UB1: Admirals school – replaces armoury, all naval units trained here gain 25xp, whereas land units only gain 10.
UB2: Rajas Palace – replaces courthouse, pacifies annexed cities as usual, but also immediately rebuilds all cultural buildings from the city pre-conquest.

I have lots of others ready to go and a few others I have some problems with so I'll post those if this generates any interest.

Game Concepts.
Casus Belli: A nice simple solution to diplomatic/warmongering/realism complaints, its been explained to death so I don't feel the need to explain it.
Colonialism: Cities founded on other continents contribute no unhappiness until reaching a certain size, after that, they would start to generate local unhappiness, if this exceeds the global happiness, revolts can ocurr. Simple.

A few other ideas right now but its the new Civ ideas that I really wanted to discuss
so, what do you think?

Thanks! you're right, I tweaked a little bit, and remember it still only works if over half the civs are in chinas current era, preventing beelining. Having said that, I've envisioned an overhauled tech tree that works differently to our current one. Having said that, do you have any comments on the idea as a whole or anything else to say? All help/criticism/praise is awesome ahah

Go get a job at Firaxis right now, because I want to see those ideas in Civ VI! I especially like the addition of the Casus Belli, and the colonialism thing is long overdue in coming.

I do like the emergent UAs as long as they don't railroad the civ too hard. And I would myself like to see some extra uniques per civilization. I'd sure like to hear more of the ideas.

Top Bottom