[GS] Ideas for adding Plague and Earthquakes

So I was thinking about how the titular disasters could be added to the game without making the game "un-fun". This is kind of the best I could come up with, & I was wondering what you guys thought of these ideas.

Plagues: I think that what is set out in The Black Death scenario is definitely a strong starting point. Jungles, Marshes & Flood Plains (post flooding) could all be potential "vectors" for the emergence of a Disease. The % chance of disease emergence, & differences in disease intensity, would work almost identically to how other disasters work.

As in the scenario, Diseases would then travel faster-or slower-across certain terrain types, but could be spread faster still by active trade routes and/or infected units.

How likely a City will contract a disease in their vicinity would depend on "overcrowding" (Net Housing), Net Food, Diversity of Food Resources within the whole Empire, & presence of specific types of buildings/districts (Aqueducts, Sewers, Hospitals especially). Walls would lower the chance of a city contracting a disease, but would increase the impacts of a disease if the City "catches" it. I feel that diseases would probably impact City Amenity levels first, then Housing levels (as the health of the city decreases), then start impacting on City Population directly.

Certain Units, Techs/Civics, Policy Cards & District Projects (Find Disease Cure, perhaps) could also impact how Disease spreads or if it can be entirely eliminated. Spies should also have a very low chance of launching a biological attack against another Civilisation (though this could potentially backfire on the spy's owner ;) ).

Earthquakes: I feel these should be almost entirely restricted to the area directly around Continental borders, with the chances of an Earthquake ever occurring there dropping off quickly as you move away from the edge of the continent. Presence of Mountain Ranges & Volcanoes would increase the chances of an Earthquake.

The positive side of Earthquakes is their ability to change the landscape. At low levels I could see this increasing tile yields, at high levels I could see it turning plains into hill tiles, & even exposing new resources (like gold, silver, iron, stone, marble, gypsum etc).

Anyway, those are just some bare-bones thoughts. What do you guys think?

I think disasters needs some expansion.

I think the current disasters are fine as a base, but the game maybe needs sort of “random global events / emergencies”. Something like plagues, barbarian hordes, sudden rise of facism or communism or democracy (think colour revolution). These might each trigger a World Congress session and or may apply to Civs in asymmetrical ways (eg a sudden wave of facism wouldn’t hurt Facist Governments).

FXS dont like having only negatives, but they could manage that by having your response to these emergencies earning you Era or diplomacy etc.

Basically, the game needs more challenges, because they AI alone and current natural disasters aren’t enough.

Top Bottom