Ideas for Fairy Tale Civs

Sounds like a civ that could live in the desert. We'd need that, because the Canwella Desert in the middle of the map is barren and really empty. I'd need to give them some special buildings to see to it that they don't get too unhealthy in the desert.

A Water Well that gives more health bonus. If you do make this civ without cavalry, stable can be changed to something else as well.

Is it possible to get a civ special improvement ability? Let's say to be able to work on oasis, so it gives production and health as well.

That should be possible if we add a Worker UU for them (Desert Worker?) which can build special improvements that other can not.

Good ideas. The Yatenga special worker should also be upgraded and the well should also be given to them, I think.

The only problem is that, as far as I can tell, AI rarely plotting a city in the middle of dessert. In one of my game, Yatenga simply went south and occupied the forestry/jungle area. The dessert stays desolated and... well, deserted. It may help if there's more oasis and resources (stone, incense, and so on) as well as sparsely fill with hilly dessert for production.

Thanks for all the ideas. The future civ projects that will be included are therefore 1. The Byzantine and 2. The Desert Civ. This combined with HighwayHoss' Vestalla.

Do you have any suggestions as to names for these new civs? Keep them ideas coming on new kingdoms as well! inspiration is always welcome!

Here's some ideas for Byzantine: The Barine Republic, The Tsarean Empire (Tsar is Caesar in Russian, I believe), Kingdom of Cestallan, or Republic of Julian (Julius). Not sure if you want to make it a kingdom/empire, or republic like early ancient rome.

For the desert Civ, I am just thinking, maybe we can add a little of the Dune's Fremen element. Not the guns, but the Sandworm rider! Hero unit, anyone? :) Plus those Fremen are very versatile and deadly with hand-to-hand/dagger combat, similar to the Aiel. The name choices: Faramai, Jenali, or Sarkissi.

There is already a Dune mod, and what special improvements is that dessert civ supposed to be able to build? A zero food/production/commerce tile + dessert farm = 3 food, requires fresh water (oasis,inland lake) yet never spreads irrigation? dessert cottage = 1food, 2 commerce? Dessert mine = 4 hammers? (None of which must be buildable on flood plain tiles) Dessert planatation = normal plantation +2 food?

I guess that could all work BUT as ono-neko said, this civ will require possibly hard-coded sdk changes in AI_foundValue or else the AI just won't go settling in that barren dessert.

I am imagining a Kingdom like the Yatenga. They inhabit a large oasis in the middle of the desert. They are not too successful on the pre-made map, but do occasionally surprise and branch out of their desert home. On the random maps they've proven to be deadly foes. I'd like to fill out the western part of the desert area with a similar civ, since the far west of the pre-made map is largely untouched too.

Highwayhoss, that's a very nice in-depth detail you have there! I am amaze with the effort both you and Le Sage put into this game. Kudos!
That's nothing: wait until you read the original history, which I recently rewritten. :D

Any of you read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time or GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire? If you do, I wouldn't be surprise if one or more of your civs are based on one of the nations mentioned in those books. In fact, the victorian aristocracy Vestalla sounds like something from GRRM's book :)
Nope....actually I borrowed elements fro Adijica's proposed civ and SM Stirlings Draka books; they are aristrocrats but not decadent types, more tough and ruthless.

Here's some news on the next civ too. In Version 10, you'll not only get Vestalla, but you'll all get pre-Collective Angleeye too.

This civ will only be playable in the scenarios. We need to do it like that, since we don't want Pre-Collective Angleeye meeting The Collective and the Dowager Queen fighting old Gregory.

The Byzantines and the Desert civ will come at a later date. I think it'll be excellent to celebrate V10 with HighwayHoss' first own civ and the Angleeye we've only heard whispered about before!

And a randomized start map of the old, original peninsuela included would also be a nice bonus in v10 (hint, hint)

Well, this mod is about the stereotypical fairy tales, and there's one movie that is absolutely gorgeous in making fun of all the fairy tales. You got it right, Shrek! Now, I demand to have Kingdom of Far Far Away with Shrek as the leader in the game!

Just Kidding... LOL. Can't resist not doing this :p

That's the best idea ever! I'll get on it right away! The Hero unit can be a green giant and it would be really cool if he had a machine gun and a tank too and a rasta haircut and smoked pot! And a Giant Death Robot would be so awesome in this mod. Yeah! And the cavalry could be the Donkey Rider (I won't say Ass Rider), wielding the Death Sword of Flame!

This is going to be so cool. I think we're on to something here, and we'll change the game completely by Version 10. Just a bit more Disney needed! :crazyeye:

Don't forget those Half-donkey Half-Dragon Beasts of Doom.

The new Angleeye is shaping up. Last night I placed all their army units into the mod and this morning, I did the buildings.

Basically, Angleeye has standard strength infantry. They get no longbowman, but have a Bowman which is a bit stronger for the early game, but loses its dominance later on. However, it should be useable for the duration of the game. By that time, Crossbowmen will have appeared. They also get a Guard unit, trainable only in the capital, which will be the equivalent of the Troll Squad that the Collective later on shows up with. Angleeye gets good cavalry, which can rival the Principality's. All units are dressed smartly in red with the Three Lions of Angleeye displayed on their uniforms.

I want to keep Angleeye the power it is later as the Collective; I want to keep parts of its strength, and efficiency to make the game fun and make Gregory the Arch Enemy he really has become known as. I have therefore given them three special buildings. While they get no Great Hive, like the Collective, they get an equivalent of the Lesser Hive called the Royal Forge; later in the game, Angleeye also gets "The Angleeye Market". The Angleeye Palace is a special creation too. Their palace uses teh same model as the Fairy Tale Castle; in addition to common palaces, the building reduces war weariness somewhat and also makes buildable the Angleeye Guard unit.

Vestalla is also shaping up. I have placed all the units into the mod and did the building stats (which uses the Spanish Citadel UB) I have also inserted City names and other info into the CivInfos file. I only lack doing the leaders's stats and text writeups, plus buttons for the units.

Early Vestallan Units are mostly average compared to other civs. It is only later that Vestalla gets its really powerful units: The Halbrediers, which uses the stats of the HRE UU Landschket and the Yeoman Longbows (Longbows with +50% vs Melee and extra first strike). Vestalla does not use Crossbows or Maceman Units. Vestallan Cavalry is average compared to other civs; unlike the eastern Civs, Vestallan cavalry is designed to support the infantry. For Unit Graphics, I used the Isendorf Units from the Dragonia II mod, reskinned with Vestallan colors and symbols (Vestallan units tend to be less flashy than other civs, representing the austere nature of the culture). For the elite Guardian of the Veil (the Vestallan Hero) I used the Edessa Knight model.

Top Bottom