1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for New Civilization Abilities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by whb, May 20, 2002.

1. whb

whb King

I'm posting this as a separate thread to get maximum Firaxis-exposure as they are considering the expansion pack, and must therefore be considering traits for the new civs.

We all know that the existing ability combinations have all been used (with 1 double up), so to make the new civs really distinct, we need to add at least one new civ ability.

This thread is for suggestions!

Orderly: Half price courthouses and police stations. Lower war weariness.
    Pro: Significant because courthouses are difficult to build in corrupt cities. Reduced war weariness makes Democratic war easier.
    Con: none of the new civs seem to fit it. Overlaps with reduced corruption of Commercial.

Dominating: Cultural influence of cities increased by 1 square. (ie start with full city radius)
    This isn't as overwhelming an advantage as it sounds, because the lower radius influences take precedence over a higher radius influence. So a big cultural 4-square distant city still can't steal city squares from a less significant foreign neighbour.

Urban: Max city sizes increased by 2 (grow to 8 without aqueduct, grow to 14 without hospital).

Conservationist: Reduced pollution. No chance of resources depleting.

Any other ideas? (Especially ones which don't just base around half-price buildings)

:)

whb

2. Richard III

Richard III Duke of Gloucester

I've said it twice, I will say it again: "Diplomacy"

Helps negotiate deals, adds to respect in negotiations, allows for cheaper embassies, harder to get bad rep.

R.III

3. Dinorius R.

Dinorius R. Somnambulist

Hmmm, orderly, dominating, highly urbanized and strongly conservation-minded...I can't help but think of....Germany! Oops we already have them. But who else fits this description as well as the Germans do?

Sadly, I'm at work and totally bereft of any original thoughts right now (in my company, that's no great impediment) but I might think of some new character traits for a civ on the way home tonight.

Good thread.

4. Cunobelin Of Hippo

Cunobelin Of Hippo Site Pachyderm

Maritime

Basically makes all things watery (harbours, ships) cheaper. Maybe enhanced ship movement?

5. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Diplomatic sounds like a really good idea. French and English probably should be diplomatic. :)

6. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

PACIFIST

surrenders at the first sign of german tanks....ooops, the french just surrender again. :lol: :lol:

7. slothman

slothman Emperor

Cultural: increased chance of culture flips to you and less chance away. Citizens flip faster to your nationality.

8. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Emperor

I think some maritime ability is the one that stands out.

I would also like to see every civ with 3 abilities instead of 2. With this, there are enough unique combinations for all (35 with 3 out of 7), and existing civs like Greece could get their natural maritime ability.

9. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

3 out of 8-9 may be a good idea, but may make the player more confused as to what the advantages really are.:(

10. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Diplomatic and maritime are both good ideas for abilities. Having the maritime ability might counter the fact that the English UU is absolutely useless and might also make privateers a little more useful. The privateer flag (or no flag ;)) is a great idea but the unit isn't.
    I also think that the commercial attribute (also English, also not very good) should be adapted to mean that you can get more cash from other civs when trading. Obviously they can't pay more than their treasury contains but they would offer more where possible.
    Firaxis shouldn't be afraid of giving the same starting techs to new attributes they may create - there are only so many early techs after all and you can hardly give the maritime civ mapmaking straightaway.

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I too like the maritime idea. And Duke's note on the privateer gave me an idea too.

The privateer should be changed so that every sucessful attack actually gives the attacker GOLD. More like "real" piracy.

12. Heffalump

Heffalump Proboscidea Heffalumpus

A lot of extra abilities would get duplicative very quick. For example a "maritime" civ is almost always an expansionist civ. They're just expanding over the water instead of over the land.

Cultural, dominating, pacifist?? Most of these describe how a civ evolves. They are descriptors of a civ, not innate abilities.

Diplomatic? How do you have a people who are "diplomatic"? :confused: The advantages attributed to "diplomatic" should result from building a cultured civ and maintaining a good rep. The game needs to evolve in this direction ...... effects result from our actions.

I'd like to see labels dropped altogether. The benefits should come to you depending on choices you make in the game.

13. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

mayby a fast growing civ:
    higher population amount 8 aquaduct like another idea and aquaducts are cheaper
    and that would be interesting with a agriculturic civ: produces more food less money for improvements like granery and less turns for irregation

14. Chingis Khan

Chingis Khan Scourge Of The World

I want a "tough guy" civ trait where all the little crybabies that keep rioting would just suck it up and press on. "What, we don't have Silks to make our panties? HA! Doesn't matter. No Ivory for those wussy pianos? Who cares? We're toughmen!"

15. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

FRIENDLY FIRE

50% chance that your units may attack your own troops...
    ooops, the Americans just blew up their own armour division! :lol: :lol:

16. Frodo Bolson

Frodo Bolson Warlord

ARMY OF THE INMORTALS

Free barracks and walls in each city. 3 free units (doesn't count in maintenance) per city. Units heal quicker outside cities.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Science researchs 25% quicker. 2 free advances at each new age. Free library in each city, increased effect of universities.

THE VOICE OF THE PLANET

Workers 50% cheaper and 25% quicker. Resources don't get run out of. 1 extra food in squares that produce it.

17. TiggerZuke

TiggerZuke Chieftain

CANADIAN

All beer half price :beer:

blah im tired

18. Fez_Monk

Fez_Monk foadi

I like the ideas of maritime and diplomatic traits. I would like to keep civ traits; they offer more variety and strategy to the game. If you don't like them, just turn them off with the editor.

19. TiggerZuke

TiggerZuke Chieftain

:ak47: :rotfl:
    Perhaps a trait that lets your civ build on mountains? I think the Incas did this?????

20. alexman

alexman King

I agree with Maritime. It seems to fit the new civs well. Although I'm not sure about the benefits because harbors are already cheaper for militaristic. Perhaps one extra food per coastal tile? Perhaps a unique naval unit like the scout for early coastal exploration?

Anyway, these would be the Maritime civs:
    Vikings (+militaristic)
    Spain (+religious)
    Korea (+industrious)
    Carthage (+commercial)
    Greece (+scientific)
    England (+expansionist)

The new scientific + commercial civ instead of Greece would be the Arabs.
    The new expansionist + commercial civ instead of England would be the Inkas or Sioux?

In addition:
    Celts: Religious + ?
    Mongols: Militaristic + expansionist

Fits well, no?