Ideas for Total War games after Empire.

LightSpectra

me autem minui
I, for one, would like to see Greece: Total War, which would deal with everything from the Trojan Wars up to the Roman conquest of Greece. Yes, the gameplay near the end would start to be a bit like RTW, but hey; they made two Medievals, didn't they? I want something better than that crappy Alexander mod they threw in with Barbarian Invasion.

Or, to get out of the European mindset, perhaps Mongol: Total War or China: Total War. Or Rashidun: Total War, but I imagine some people might be offended by that.

And of course, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see an updated Shogun.

nah, they should make something totally new.

WWII total war, if made with calm, no haste and correctly, would end up a great game.

or, american civil war: total war. This would be very nice.

I, for one, would like to see Greece: Total War, which would deal with everything from the Trojan Wars up to the Roman conquest of Greece.
That sounds difficult, based on the fact that a) immediately after the Trojan War, early Greek civilization collapsed and b) that collapse lasted for several centuries, yielding a period about which we know virtually nothing and during which nobody would be able to raise sizable armies or navies. And if you make it from ~500 BC(E) onward, it starts looking a lot like RTW, or at least XGM and EB.
LightSpectra said:
Yes, the gameplay near the end would start to be a bit like RTW, but hey; they made two Medievals, didn't they? I want something better than that crappy Alexander mod they threw in with Barbarian Invasion.
Alex actually was a big improvement on the AI, though the scenario itself was total crap. And I really don't think that gameplay between RTW and M2TW is all that different (based largely on my few days' history in Stainless Steel), the same basic principles are at work, except M2TW is an improved version. Fundamentally, the games are the same, the principles of fighting are the same, it's just that the setting and some of the frills (princesses, merchants, castles/cities dichotomy, religion) are a little different.
LightSpectra said:
Mongol: Total War
Sounds like the later part of Broken Crescent, but on a slightly larger scale.
LightSpectra said:
China: Total War.
This is way too vague. When?
LightSpectra said:
Or Rashidun: Total War, but I imagine some people might be offended by that.
Why? As for doing it, I think that it'd be interesting but that it would be more fun to make a game that can be tacked onto the end of BI, historically, like how EU and Vicky fit together, that includes the period of the Gothic war, the wars of Harsha, and the Persian wars of Justinian, Maurice, and Heraclius. Cause those were the . .. .. .. ., dude.
Cheezy the Wiz said:
And of course, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see an updated Shogun.
Possibly.
An Asia-centered one might be interesting, too, perhaps from Propontis--->East?
Working on it, thank God.
American Civil War:Total War might be more doable, and would be very very cool.
I support this project, as well as the inclusion of the German and Italian unification conflicts, as well as the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-8.

Why the hell do people keep suggesting WW2 Total War? I like the setting of WW2 but there is not way it would work in the Total War games, war was fought completely differently and even the late 1800s began to change it.

I would like to see a total war set in eastern Aisa. All periods.

I would like to see a total war set in eastern Aisa. All periods.
Long game. Any ones you're more interested in? Spring and Autumn? 11th-13th centuries? Three Kingdoms? 17th century?

That sounds difficult, based on the fact that a) immediately after the Trojan War, early Greek civilization collapsed and b) that collapse lasted for several centuries, yielding a period about which we know virtually nothing and during which nobody would be able to raise sizable armies or navies.

Events don't have to go exactly as they did in real life. That's why it's a video game. Perhaps Greece could've overwhelmingly won the Trojan War. Or you could play as Troy and survive the war.

Or if you're going to be ticked off about it, there could be four scenarios: one on the Trojan War, one on the Peloponnesian War, one on the Persian Wars and one on Alexander's conquests.

And if you make it from ~500 BC(E) onward, it starts looking a lot like RTW, or at least XGM and EB.

There's two MTWs, aren't there?

This is way too vague. When?

Since we're talking about a game that's not going to come out until 2011, I don't think everything from the Qin unification to the Ming dynasty is out of the question.

Why the hell do people keep suggesting WW2 Total War? I like the setting of WW2 but there is not way it would work in the Total War games, war was fought completely differently and even the late 1800s began to change it.

nah, i'm just brainstorming. WWII is my favorite conflict, and I remember playing a paleozoic turn-based WWII game when I was a kid and it was very good. I don't know nothing about programming, but I can imagine it's impossible to make such game based on that engine. But the same team could make an new engine, to fit more "indigest" conflicts, like WWI and II. If there's a market, they should sell and I'd buy. :cool:

Events don't have to go exactly as they did in real life. That's why it's a video game. Perhaps Greece could've overwhelmingly won the Trojan War. Or you could play as Troy and survive the war.
The collapse of Aegean civilization had nothing to do with the outcome of the war.
LightSpectra said:
Or if you're going to be ticked off about it, there could be four scenarios: one on the Trojan War, one on the Peloponnesian War, one on the Persian Wars and one on Alexander's conquests.
I'm not ticked off about anything, much less someone suggesting something silly on the Internet. And I think that division into several mini-scenarios would be an awful lot to ask
LightSpectra said:
There's two MTWs, aren't there?
Unless they make it a lot more realistic (which CA doesn't seem interested in) or alter the engine somewhat as happened between the two MTW releases, I don't see the validity of releasing a new game. Therefore: equatism. I call it. :p
LightSpectra said:
Since we're talking about a game that's not going to come out until 2011, I don't think everything from the Qin unification to the Ming dynasty is out of the question.
Large periods of that time were not particularly war-torn in Chinese history and therefore extremely boring for the player. I would also be amazed if the player didn't conquer everything by 100 BC(E). Emergent factions will take up a disproportionate part of the slots and thus be extremely annoying, as will 'reformed' units; in short, making one game for the entire time is silly. A game with some expansions is probably a better fiscal, implementational, and gameplaying idea.
How far is Empire: Total War going? I've read into the early 1800's, but not much about the Napoleonic Wars. The American Civil War sounds good as well.
Napoleonic Wars were the early 19th century. I assume the game would stop not long after 1815.
nah, i'm just brainstorming. WWII is my favorite conflict, and I remember playing a paleozoic turn-based WWII game when I was a kid and it was very good. I don't know nothing about programming, but I can imagine it's impossible to make such game based on that engine. But the same team could make an new engine, to fit more "indigest" conflicts, like WWI and II. If there's a market, they should sell and I'd buy. :cool:
Well, by that time, sieging cities, armies led by FMs and in concentrated areas, and the like are really anachronistic, not to mention the whole system of making war and peace.

Plus, a game without the Total War engine can hardly be called a Total War game, right? :p

I, for one, would like to see Greece: Total War, which would deal with everything from the Trojan Wars up to the Roman conquest of Greece.

Including the Trojan War would be silly; as Dachs noted, civilization basically collapsed for about 500 years, during which there wasn't so much as a written language. The Mycenaean wrote in Linear A, the Greeks who emerged after the Dark Age wrote in Greek. You couldn't even include a "super civ" of Sea Peoples to come kick the crap out of everyone in the Mediterranean because we don't even know where they came from!

Or, to get out of the European mindset, perhaps Mongol: Total War or China: Total War. Or Rashidun: Total War, but I imagine some people might be offended by that.

Offended? By what?

Offended? By what?

I imagine some Muslim players may not take so well to playing as Muhammed or Ali, since they aren't supposed to be depicted in any art forms.

Huh? I don't think so. Do you have a source for that?

Huh? I don't think so. Do you have a source for that?
It's not Quranic, but rather based off of the Hadith. So it's not really set in stone. For example, the only instance of Muslim iconoclasm during the early Caliphates was that of Yazid II.

ah, c'mon. Not all muslims are like that. Just because that swedish cartoon mess happened because of some iranian extremists it doesn't mean that they'll send anthrax to the game designers and publishers. I didn't see this rashidun idea before (what a clumsy me), but it seems real nice. Mamelukes!

don't?

aren't they that light camel cavalry?

edit:

ahn, ok, my fault. Wikipedia told me truth about them.

Top Bottom