Ideas needed for "Tribal" city states

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Moriboe, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Moriboe

Moriboe King

I've long thought to add some "tribes" to the game/world map, as by lack of (important) cities, some areas and cultures are difficult to represent as a regular city state. So I'd have a new type of CS, with names like "The Tupi" and "The Ainu". Of course I need an effect for them, something that is not too hard to do in lua. And that's were I'm stuck. Anyone got inspiration?

2. Moriboe

Moriboe King

Well, couldn't think of anything good either, so I'll make tribes receive the effect of militaristic city states. The ones that are militaristic now will get redistributed. I also plan to add one new type.

Financial: +1 / +3 :c5production: in your 4 richest cities. Scales with era.

Adding it as "industrious" would fit the effect better, but not real life. There are many more candidates fitting "financial". Examples would be Hong Kong, Toronto, Luxembourg, Taipei, Dubai, ... And others, like Signapore and Zurich, could be reassigned.

What do you think?

PS: A note on the NACSM mod, which added types granting about every yield in the game: I feel gold, science, GA points and GPs are already represented one way or another in relation to city states; production was the only thing missing. Unless you play with the CSD mod, which also has the production to influence conversion through diplomatic units.

3. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

the main characteristic of tribes is that they were a group of people that lived in different places, living each their own life but uniting in some events. It is supposed to be so at least. So their main ability is to unite.

It could be cool then if you could take control of their cities. In a first time, the city would be puppeted, and you could as well as usual make them "occupied" and build a courthouse in them.

You could have a serious diplo hit in doing so however if the concerned civilizations had involvments with those city states.

On a side note, I think that not only city states should work like this, but all cities.

4. Moriboe

Moriboe King

Interesting idea. I had been thinking in the direction of Tribes being more exploitable than regular city states, but couldn't think of anything that would work. I see some problems with this approach as well though. Having implementation constraints in mind (with my abilities), once the Tribe is bound, it's more or less permanent; other civs can't coup or buy it back. Putting more conditions on the binding mechanism to compensate would require some AI programming.

5. Naokaukodem

If you can't revert it back, then it would be a kind a gold race to tribal city states. Could be interesting as well, need to be play tested.

Or you could apply that to every city, so any civ could take out any other civ city with gold. The trait of tribal CS would be they would need less gold in order to become yours. (but once yours, back to normal value)

Gave me another idea : you could give money in order to lower the city defense bar. (so your could conquer it in one turn with one unit)

6. Naokaukodem

Also, if every city can be bought with gold, make the gold sum demanded proportional to their non-tendancy to ally with the buyer, e.g. they are littlely in position to change side strategically, doubt your support, etc...

Examples : if Civ A has a global army strenght of 650 and want to buy a city on the frontier of Civ B and Civ A, but Civ B has a global army strenght of 1200, then the gold needed in order to buy it would not be 500 nor 1000 gold, but maybe 4997.

If on contrary Civ A has an army strenght of 2000 and Civ B an army strenght of 500, maybe only 291 gold would be needed to buy them.

Of course, this is only one of the possible factors. In the last example, if Civ A is under Fascism or Communism and Civ B under Liberalism, the cost may as well be of 4562 gold in order to buy them, except if they are Communist or Fascist sympathisants. (need a new layer of value in that only case)

Also, if Civ B desired city is felt "strategical" by the city governor AI (example if it's on an hill, and/or valley), prices can rise.

7. aarondhknight

aarondhknight Chieftain

I've thought a lot about tribal gameplay as well, and I have a few ideas. Granted, I do not know how to code these gameplay characteristics, but I will leave that to the coders of this community.

A tribal society, if nomadic, should involve constant movement. Perhaps a tribal "settler", instead of founding a city, is able to establish a handful of "camps" that sit on top of resources within a four-tile proximity to one another. These camps harvest these resources one-turn-at-a-time, and the area encompassed by this movement is shaded and given a label for the tribe's name. This territory can expand outward with population and culture increases as normal. Buildings could still be constructed (even nomadic societies would build structures that they would visit seasonally) but not displayed on the map, as well as wonders. Scouts should probably get a combat and visibility bonus right off the bat. Workers could still build tile improvements, but only one map tile could be harvested per turn to simulate the seasonal movement of the population.

Thoughts?

8. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

A few ideas some from other posts in the thread:
    1) Produces Great People, but at a much slower rate than military units (frequency increases if allies).
    Then change educated elite to something else.

2) Improves Great Person generation by x% in all cities (more if allies)

3) produces civilians (settlers, workers, or missionaries) - not sure how to make it decide which to give you though. (more if allies)

The current "cultural" city state may be a good effect too.