1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideologies Buff Buildings

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MaximusK, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

Read more: Civilization V: Brave New World interview

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/civilization_brave_new_world_sZhj5uO9GQNRqOKvkfpnpL#ixzz2PSCbRscD

Really not much new information in this brief interview but seems that ideologies will have quite the impact.

2. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

So would ideological spread be a separate component from tourism? I am intrigued on how the ideological systems would work. It is also implied that some buildings has an extra effect locally and in your neighbouring countries depending on your ideology. This itself brings potential problems. IF you are communist, you will probably not want to build stuff like radio towers. Maybe stuff like factories would give extra happy if you are communist and barracks for fascist countries?

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I believe that it is a Tenet of Freedom Ideology that will enable your Radio Towers to disseminate unhappiness in neighboring empires that do not have Freedom.

4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

The more I hear, the more I'm starting to think calling it "tourism" and representing with a piece of luggage is misleading. If tourism is the reason your insular, oppressive regime is being corrupted by bourgeois rhetoric, you might want to stop issuing so many passports.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You don't need a passport if you run through a minefield, scale a concrete wall, or sail 90 miles of open ocean in a homemade derelict raft.

6. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

"Tourism" is a pretty terrible term, it sounds corny and too CivRev-ish. It's the only thing I'm not looking forward to in the expansion! Can't think of a great alternative however.. "Influence" would work well, but that's used already. Ditto for "Pressure". Noteriety or Prestige maybe?

Sorry to continue the OT discussion!

7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

LOL.

See, I'm not so sure that the term "tourism" is apt an descriptor for all of that.

What I'm wondering is, how early do you start racking up tourism? The renaissance? The industiral era? Aside from the occasional once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage, tourism is a fairly new concept, which requires fast means of travel and an abundance of people with both disposable income and vacation time.

8. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    This just keeps sounding better and better :)

9. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

happiness should be called stability, tourism should be changed to influence, and influence should be renamed.

10. Haig

Haig Deity

I wonder have Freedom, Autocracy and Order being renamed to Democracy, Fascism and Communism as they are referred so in the article.

11. kamex

kamex Emperor

This. 1 million percent!

12. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I'm a little lost here... I thought this thread was about ideologies. What has that got to do with tourism being a poor choice of word for another unrelated system?

13. Avatan

Avatan Warlord

It's just that it is kind of hard to speculate if one must say things like "boost your tourism to create a more efficient fascist police state" or "the recent victories in war have make the empire unhappy".

Switch to influence and stability and it makes more sense. It's casuistry really.

So those ideology would seem to be a good candidate as a role for tourism for players who don't seek a CV. If the tenets are powerful enough it might justify building stuff just for that, and a good tourism will make sure your neighbors suffer the most from your ideology choices.

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I think the author of the article was just taking some licence. I think the system sounds pretty interesting, however.

15. camfrlas

camfrlas Chieftain

so AI with chosen communism will almost always convert other players. i'm not sure how i feel about it, since it seems to be a one way trip when you wouldn't be able to change their people.

16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

No, the Ideologys are affected by how much the influence of Rival Tourism, if their Influence is bigger than your own culture you start to lose happiness until you chose the same Ideology as the Tourism.

It's tied to the Offensive/Defensive Culture/Tourism thingy.

17. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

The term tourism is fine to me. And it's not a new concept, people in antiquity used to tour the Great Wonders and people have been doing Grand Tours of Europe for centuries. As long as there is relative peace between nations people will visit and stand in awe at Great Wonders.

18. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

Much like Science became "beakers" in Civspeak so Tourism will become "Luggages" or simply "luggs"

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, technically, one is cultural influence and the other is diplomatic influence. But I otherwise agree that you're correct. I'm fine with representing it symbolically and just "translating" it in my head. Happiness is easier to refer to than stability, for example.

20. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

It does make sense. Why else would regimes like North Korea build huge arches and ridiculous hotels? They're trying to justifying their rule to the populace and this has been going on for millennia. Same as the Washington Monument and Mt. Rushmore.