Resource icon

[BNW] Ideology: Freedom (BNW)

Browd

Dilettante
Administrator
Browd submitted a new resource:

Ideology: Freedom - Ideology: Freedom

Freedom
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Introduction

Freedom is one of three ideologies in the game. Each ideology includes 16 tenets, divided into three levels, that operate in the same manner as social policies and generally are acquired with culture, as with social policies. Two tenets of a given level must be adopted before a tenet from...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Another great and helpful article, thank you Browd.

Creative Expression... This tenet does little to aid a Culture Victory, but can be useful to generate culture to defend against other civilizations' tourism.

Say I have 5-9 great works. Is Creative Expression likely to net me an extra social policy by the end of the game?

Covert Action - Chance of rigging election in City-States doubled.
This is a useful, but not critical, tenet, but should be taken at some point by those pursuing a Diplomatic Victory. When combined with Arsenal of Democracy and Treaty Organization, a Freedom civ can pursue City-State alliances on three fronts -- with military unit gifts using Arsenal of Democracy, with trade routes using Treaty Organization and with spies using Covert Action.

Sorry, but I must challenge the characterization of Covert Action as “useful” (at least, in single player). An experienced spy wins elections maybe 99% of the time. So the only time Covert Action ends up being useful is (1) an AI has a spy in the CS, and (2) the player does not have experienced spies.

As diplomacy games wind down, spies should be used as diplomats. You may have a few spare spies (assuming some civs have been wiped out), but again Covert Action does not help except in very rare situations.

Unique World Wonder ... Adopting Autocracy allows you to build a unique world wonder, The Statue of Liberty (unlocked with Replaceable Parts)

typo

Even with culture multipliers, 5-6 culture per turn is unlikely to net you and additional policy by game's end, although it may be enough if you bulb a great writer.

Don't disagree with your analysis of Covert Action. It is useful (as compared to some tenets) but hardly compelling. I.e., I never take it.

Thanks for the typo catch. :goodjob:

I think it's unlikely that Creative Expression will net you a full extra policy by the end of the game.

It should though slightly move up the timing of future extra policies (compared to having not picked it)

As to interaction with Great Writer, the Great Writer by itself should yield somewhere between 75% and 125% of a policy.

All of these impacts appear to be more significant if you are seeking a Freedom - spacerace victory than a cultural victory. (Being sure to reach the Commerce policy that cuts the prices for cash rushing on top of Space Procurements and full Rationalism)

Wait a minute... I always assumed that Covert Action also doubled the chance of coups succeeding, since those are the only things that usually have a significant chance of failure. But y'all are right... a careful reading of the tenet *does* strongly suggest that only elections are affected.

Are y'all sure that coups aren't affected by the tenet? (Yes, it wouldn't be too hard to sit down & test this myself. But I'm hoping to save myself the trouble if somebody happens to already know.)

Top Bottom